NCL Pearl vs. Crown Princess RT Seattle

MarieF4861

I need help deciding between the Crown Princess and the NCL Pearl out of Seattle. I have never cruised on either cruise line. I wanted an itinerary that included Glacier Bay. That's why I chose these two. The itineraries are basically the same: Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, and Victoria with the Crown Princess spending 3 hours longer (11am-10:30pm) in Juneau while the Pearl is there from 2-10pm. I have no idea what I will be doing in the ports yet, but I doubt that the shorter time frame in Juneau on the Pearl will be an issue for me.

So, I am interested in feedback from anyone who has cruised on these ships and/or lines. Almost all of my previous cruises have been with RCCL Once advantage that occurs to me is the casual dress code on NCL may help with the challenge of packing the many different types of clothing that appear to be required for an Alaska cruise. I wouldn't need to worry about formal attire. I know very little about either of these ships or lines to know what other differences there may be.

Thanks for your help.

I need help deciding between the Crown Princess and the NCL Pearl out of Seattle. I have never cruised on either cruise line. I wanted an itinerary that included Glacier Bay. That's why I chose these two. The itineraries are basically the same: Juneau, Skagway, Glacier Bay, Ketchikan, and Victoria with the Crown Princess spending 3 hours longer (11am-10:30pm) in Juneau while the Pearl is there from 2-10pm. I have no idea what I will be doing in the ports yet, but I doubt that the shorter time frame in Juneau on the Pearl will be an issue for me.

So, I am interested in feedback from anyone who has cruised on these ships and/or lines. Almost all of my previous cruises have been with RCCL Once advantage that occurs to me is the casual dress code on NCL may help with the challenge of packing the many different types of clothing that appear to be required for an Alaska cruise. I wouldn't need to worry about formal attire. I know very little about either of these ships or lines to know what other differences there may be.

Thanks for your help.

Never having cruised NCL . My preference would be Princess . I would post thsi on the Princess and NCL forums as well. You'll probably get better answers. Also look a reviews in Alaska for both cruise lines / ships.

Edited by Kamloops50

We have always travelled HAL but took the Pearl repositioning cruise in the fall and really enjoyed it. The only real complaint I had about the ship was the forward viewing was basically non-existent (other than through glass/crowsnest). Compared to HAL this was a real disappointment for us and would be a disadvantage on glacier viewing and in Alaska as a whole.

Edited by trophy_23

We have always travelled HAL but took the Pearl repositioning cruise in the fall and really enjoyed it. The only real complaint I had about the ship was the forward viewing was basically non-existent (other than through glass/crowsnest). Compared to HAL this was a real disappointment for us and would be a disadvantage on glacier viewing and in Alaska as a whole.

At Glacier Bay, the Pearl does usually open the forward "crew only" open bow area for viewing. Just fyi.

At Glacier Bay, the Pearl does usually open the forward "crew only" open bow area for viewing. Just fyi.

Good to know thanks. We really missed being able to go out there sailing into/out of Vancouver, Astoria and San Francisco

Price and itinerary ! My opinion, for what it is worth...not much :D

I've cruised Carnival, Holland America, and Princess. What makes a difference is the ports and price paid. To me a cruise ship is a cruise ship... for the most part... with the exception of age & size. There is a huge difference between a 1500 passenger ship built in 1990 and 3000 passenger ship built in 2010. New+ big= better IMHO ;)