Lamanai or Xunantunich

stressedmomof3

Hoping someone here can give me a better insight to help me plan for my future trip with the family. We will be sailing on Carnival with 3 teens in tow. Xunantunich is offered through the ship, the other is not. Would love to choose what will interest my teens the most i.e.: "(any good carvings") was their exact words. I know they both are very long trips and it will be hot and muggy in July, but wondering the actual ruins itself that you can see.

Thanks ahead of time for any info. If it helps,the Altun Ha and River Wallace tour was deemed a good tour by the kiddos.

My family toured the Lamanai Mayan Ruins in January 2015. Below is a copy of my review from last year. I hope it provides some helpful information to you. Enjoy your trip no matter what you choose to do.

__________________________________________________________________________________

My wife, daughter wand I went on the Lamanai Mayan Ruins/New River tour on January 22, 2015. We booked with Elio of Lamanai Belize Tours several weeks before our cruise based on positive reviews and experiences. We came to Belize City on Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Sea, which had to tender 4 miles off shore.

After a hectic tender process of getting to shore, Elio's driver Julian met us just as agreed outside terminal one with a sign with our name greeting us. Julian was very friendly and professional and said that we can stop the worrying and let him take care of us from here. We took a short walk to his air conditioned van where he assured us that he would have us back to the port well in time to make our last tender.

We went through Belize City and Julian was constantly giving us information about Belize and its people and culture. He was very informative. It's nice to let someone else do the driving who knows their way around, because there are some crazy drivers and scooter drivers in Belize.

The ride to the river was about 45 minutes. Upon arrival we met with Elio and another of his young helpers. Before boarding the power boat for our trip up river to Lamanai, we were able to use the restrooms and were offered bottled water for the boat trip.

As most have said, the boat ride is an excursion in itself. The day was very hot and sunny as we made our way up river winding through narrow channels and then open water with the warm wind blowing through your hair. Our boat did have a canopy on it to protect you from the sun.There is much beauty along the way, such as flora and birds. You may encounter some fisherman and will also pass a Mennonite village along the river bank.

Once we made our way to Lamanai, we stopped at the nice bathrooms. They also have souveniers for sale. Elio then led us on a hike through part of the jungle to the ruins and explained each site and the different trees and flora. We were practically by ourselves as we were ahead of the large cruise ship excursion groups that would follow.

The ruins were beautiful and we were able to climb the big temple and take pictures from high atop. They were also howler monkeys in the trees nearby. Elio also offered to take several pictures of us.

Due to time constraints of getting back to the ship, we had to depart and board the power boat for the trip back to Elio's dock. Once again, the boat ride back was a thrill all of its own and something to remember. Once back to Elio's dock, we were seated at a picnic table and treated to an awesome Belizian lunch consisting of spicy chicken, rice, beans, spicy slaw and hot sauce and bottles of Coke made with 100 % sugar cane, not the junk we get in the USA.

Again, pictures were taken and we paid Elio's father and thanked each of them for a great time and experience. Then we boarded the air conditioned van and Julian drove us back to the port terminal with about 30 minutes before our last tender.

This is outfit is locally run by Elio and his family. The live in Belize and know and understand the Belizian and Mayan culture.They are true professionals and take care of every detail to enhance your experience and to make certain you are back to port to make your tender.

If you want a locally run company, who is professional, timely and provides exactly what they tell you, then please skip the large cruise ship tours with 30, 40 or more people and book with Elio and his family at Lamanai Belize Tours. You will not be disappointed, we weren't.

Edited by Racer70

You could also do Altun Ha. It's closer to the cruise port. Climbable ruins cleaned out. If you or your children like to "play" Indian Jones, Lamanai would be the choice. However, you need to double check the exact time you will be in port and consider being able get on an early tender and the last tender time (ship time, usually 45 minutes to 1 hour before listed departure time). You are on a Carnival ship leaving out of the East Coast in the summer. Carnival keeps ships on port of embarkation time, in your case Eastern Daylight Savings Time. Belize does not observe daylight saving time and will be on Central Standard Time, 2 hours earlier. This means a 5PM departure is really 3 PM Belize and you last tender may be at 2PM-2:15PM Belize if there are a lot of ships in port. The Breeze is large and typically anchors further out.

Given the time caveat, if you believe there's enough time to use a private guide to see Lamanai, by all means give it a whirl. Otherwise, go with Xunantunich via the ship or Altun Ha via ship or private.

They say you get lunch with this tour. Did you have and if so, how was it?

My family toured the Lamanai Mayan Ruins in January 2015. Below is a copy of my review from last year. I hope it provides some helpful information to you. Enjoy your trip no matter what you choose to do.

__________________________________________________________________________________

My wife, daughter wand I went on the Lamanai Mayan Ruins/New River tour on January 22, 2015. We booked with Elio of Lamanai Belize Tours several weeks before our cruise based on positive reviews and experiences. We came to Belize City on Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Sea, which had to tender 4 miles off shore.

After a hectic tender process of getting to shore, Elio's driver Julian met us just as agreed outside terminal one with a sign with our name greeting us. Julian was very friendly and professional and said that we can stop the worrying and let him take care of us from here. We took a short walk to his air conditioned van where he assured us that he would have us back to the port well in time to make our last tender.

We went through Belize City and Julian was constantly giving us information about Belize and its people and culture. He was very informative. It's nice to let someone else do the driving who knows their way around, because there are some crazy drivers and scooter drivers in Belize.

The ride to the river was about 45 minutes. Upon arrival we met with Elio and another of his young helpers. Before boarding the power boat for our trip up river to Lamanai, we were able to use the restrooms and were offered bottled water for the boat trip.

As most have said, the boat ride is an excursion in itself. The day was very hot and sunny as we made our way up river winding through narrow channels and then open water with the warm wind blowing through your hair. Our boat did have a canopy on it to protect you from the sun.There is much beauty along the way, such as flora and birds. You may encounter some fisherman and will also pass a Mennonite village along the river bank.

Once we made our way to Lamanai, we stopped at the nice bathrooms. They also have souveniers for sale. Elio then led us on a hike through part of the jungle to the ruins and explained each site and the different trees and flora. We were practically by ourselves as we were ahead of the large cruise ship excursion groups that would follow.

The ruins were beautiful and we were able to climb the big temple and take pictures from high atop. They were also howler monkeys in the trees nearby. Elio also offered to take several pictures of us.

Due to time constraints of getting back to the ship, we had to depart and board the power boat for the trip back to Elio's dock. Once again, the boat ride back was a thrill all of its own and something to remember. Once back to Elio's dock, we were seated at a picnic table and treated to an awesome Belizian lunch consisting of spicy chicken, rice, beans, spicy slaw and hot sauce and bottles of Coke made with 100 % sugar cane, not the junk we get in the USA.

Again, pictures were taken and we paid Elio's father and thanked each of them for a great time and experience. Then we boarded the air conditioned van and Julian drove us back to the port terminal with about 30 minutes before our last tender.

This is outfit is locally run by Elio and his family. The live in Belize and know and understand the Belizian and Mayan culture.They are true professionals and take care of every detail to enhance your experience and to make certain you are back to port to make your tender.

If you want a locally run company, who is professional, timely and provides exactly what they tell you, then please skip the large cruise ship tours with 30, 40 or more people and book with Elio and his family at Lamanai Belize Tours. You will not be disappointed, we weren't.

We were on this tour through Royal Caribbean in Dec. It was pretty much the same tour. As for the boat ride we really didn't see a whole lot of wildlife. We made a couple of stops to look at some of the the birds (one of the small birds that was pointed out (the smallest falcon) seemed almost suspiciously staged. It looked like it was not even real. (It's just my thought though). If you don't go on a smaller boat very often you may enjoy it.

On the way back we took what they called the express route (which means no stops).

The food IMHO was ok...nothing to call home about...the family/people who prepare it were wonderful. You can see that they are very proud of their work.

The ruins themselves were the highlight of the excursion. There is so much history there. Make sure you drink enough fluids during this excursion. It was very warm when we were there. Surprisingly I bought a bottle of coke for $2 which I thought was pretty cheap.

If you have kids you will probably enjoy this tour. You will see/hear the howler monkeys as well as others things. Have a great trip.