Getting to Fort on free trolley- our experience

basketballdad

We had a good time at the fort. Getting off of the ship there were vendors and taxis and such but we had heard about the free trolleys.

There is a stop as you get off the far left dock. I think it is stop 1. Having read here to go elsewhere we walked a block or two to the right and past the Hyatt hotel I think it is and up the hill past the park 2 blocks. That got us to stop 3 a block left.

After 2 trolleys and 20 minutes we got on one. It was fun. But they cut back toward the ship and stopped at stop 13. This is the one 3 blocks to the left that everyone tries to go to up stream from the tourists off the boat. But when we stopped there our trolley was full and there was a huge crowd waiting.

We went through town and got up to the fort. It's 5 bucks but we'll worth it. Really enjoyed the fort. At the end we waited for a free trolley and there was a lot of people and several full trolleys and saw it was not too far and it was down hill so we just walked to ship. Not a big deal.

My advice is that due to not enough trolleys it is a hit and miss. If you are in good shape perhaps just walk to the fort as its less time than waiting for a trolley with room.

does anyone know which stop you would get on for either piers (RCCL or the main one)? We are leaving from San Juan on the Celebrity Summit and I wanted to explore forts before our ship leaves. I thought we would "check in", since we are arriving in Puerto Rico at 9am, then go back out to San Juan and explore. I still can't figure out which port we are leaving from so I figured I would ask if the trolley was near both ports.

You will be leaving from the Pan American Dock which is across the bay from Old San Juan. After checking in and probably having to stay on ship until after 1:00pm to drop your carry on in room, you will need to take a taxi to Old San Juan and also back. Have them drop you off at the furthest Fort and it is a downhill walk from there. The other dock area is where Celebrity ships dock only for the day.

• 3 weeks later...

DH uses a cane & I can't walk long distances without the knee aching so I was thinking of using a cab to get to the fort, a park shuttle (free) to San Cristobal (if time) then a cab back to the ship. We will be coming in on the Carnival Pride & I don't know what dock. I have read reviews about the free trolley & I don't feel comfortable relying on them. We are not docking until about 12 noon. About how much will a cab cost? Do you think we would stand a chance of getting on the trolley coming back from San Cristobal or where could we get a taxi?

Thanks.

Donna

Edited by PTAngel