trip insurance; HAL vs. credit card benefits

hmg1215

Hello all cruisers,

I am reaching for advice. We just booked our first cruise with HAL and purchased platinum protection for $129 pp.

We also have Chase Sapphire Preferred credit card (which was used to pay for the trip) and one of the benefits is "trip cancellation and trip protection" coverage (up to 10K).

I am thinking about cancelling HAL coverage and sticking with Chase benefits but I worry that I may be missing something vital. I know that HAL offers coverage of medical costs up to 10K and 50K coverage if medical evacuation is needed but we are both pretty healthy and I assume there will be no need for that. I am more worried about possibility of snow storm in New England in February and inability to fly to FLL.

Do you think Chase benefits would be enough to cover our trip? I'd appreciate any insight.

Did you purchase air from HAL? Is it covered? Generally, HAL's coverage will provide a refund if claimed before the sail date.

I don't know the Chase coverage, but my Amex coverage is for medical and evacuation. We still purchase trip insurance (covers trip interruption, cancellation, buggage loss or delay, etc.) thru insureMYtrip.com just to be safe.

To me one of the best features of the HAL plan is that it is "cancel for any reason", while most plans require specific approved reasons such as a death or serious illness. And with the Platinum, there is no time cutoff ... you may simply decide right up to sailing time that you just don't feel like going!

There have been many reports on this forum about prompt refunds from HAL, while with the Chase coverage you may be waiting a while.

Edited by jtl513

Thank you for your responses dakrewser and jtl513!

Yes, I did purchase air through HAL so that should be covered.

The 'any reason' for cancellation is a valid benefit. Chase lists few reasons that can apply to the cancellation. I never know if my work situation will not interfere with our trip.

I think I will keep HAL insurance. Thank you!

I believe you've got your answers, but accept some advice from a Northerner who almost missed a Christmas cruise due to weather: fly down a day early and enjoy the Florida weather. The Captain held up our sailing for 4 hours because the storm affected the whole eastern U.S. and he wasn't going to leave people he knew were coming. I'm told this was pretty much unheard of and if not for the short overnight sail to Half Moon Cay would have never happened. The stress endured as we made cobbled together connections only to not have a plane or crew unavailable at the next stop was not worth the cost of a room.

You might want to rethink the assumption on medical and evacuation. I know you're young and bullet proof, but you could get injured on a shore excursion or maybe in a car accident ashore. You could trip going down the stairs. You could ... Essentially, you are betting $129 pp versus potentially $50K in medical costs. BTW, outside the US, you may incur significant upfront costs.

You might want to rethink the assumption on medical and evacuation. I know you're young and bullet proof, but you could get injured on a shore excursion or maybe in a car accident ashore. You could trip going down the stairs. You could ... Essentially, you are betting $129 pp versus potentially $50K in medical costs. BTW, outside the US, you may incur significant upfront costs.

Valid thought. I bought a policy for only medical and evacuation ($~20) in addition to HAL platinum for my last 2 trips. It was nth for the price (and return if I had to cancel) and knowing I COULD cancel right up to the trip if I needed to. For my situation it was best as it removed qualifying reasons from the mix.

Am going to look into what coverage my CC offers for our next adventure.

Valid thought. I bought a policy for only medical and evacuation ($~20) in addition to HAL platinum for my last 2 trips. It was nth for the price (and return if I had to cancel) and knowing I COULD cancel right up to the trip if I needed to. For my situation it was best as it removed qualifying reasons from the mix.

Am going to look into what coverage my CC offers for our next adventure.

I would be interested in that as well. Where did you purchase the med/evac policy. I'm really more concerned about that than the cancellation coverage. I'm retired. I do have medical coverage outside the states since I'm a military retiree.

Thank you all for good advice! I will definitely keep the insurance. If anything, it will give me a peace of mind.

I know, anything can happen. We are not so young and definitely not bulletproof. We are blessed with decent health, but you never know...

We are flying the day of the cruise. I know that is a risk, given that we are flying from New England and anything can happen. I just hope this winter will not be like the last one :eek:

Unfortunately, I have to work until pretty much the last minute, so flying the day ahead was not an option really. The fare is non-refundable so if I wanted to change flights, it will be additional cost. Plus hotel, which is not cheap in FLL.

I'll say a prayer and hope for the best! :)

I would be interested in that as well. Where did you purchase the med/evac policy. I'm really more concerned about that than the cancellation coverage. I'm retired. I do have medical coverage outside the states since I'm a military retiree.

I got it from insure my trip dot com. I chose the Geoblue and took a higher deductible but added higher limits.