Escape 12/26/15 to 01/02/16---Our Thoughts

vacation44

Just returned last Saturday from our Escape New Years Eve cruise and I thought I would summarize our experience for those interested.......

Our group consisted of me (51), husband (51), daughter (17), son (16), dad (79), brother (54), sister (49), brother in law (52), nephew (24), nephew's wife (24), nephew (14) and nephew (13).

This was the first cruise for my sister and her two younger sons. My dad has been on many cruises and me and my family have been on a few with the Disney Magic being our last.

First off, we all had an amazing time and enjoyed our vacation very much. Here we go:

1) To our disappointment, Million Dollar Quartet was cancelled during our cruise. They did replace this show with Supreme Reflections which we did go to and it was very good in our opinion; however, we really wanted to see Million Dollar Quartet.

2) We all found the food to be very good for the most part. The buffet is huge and honestly, there is something for everyone. We found the layout really good and it was easy for us to find family members sitting down. I have read previously many complaints and I really do not understand them.

3) The service in the MDR was hit or miss. Some nights it went very fast and some nights, it was an unorganized mess---especially New Years Eve. We had no problem reserving seating for 12 each night. As soon as my brother-in-law boarded, he made the arrangements even though we had the reservations previously.

4) Vibe. My sister and I were allowed to board with my dad early and we boarded around 11:15 with Group 1. We practically ran to credit services and secured four passes in the nick of time. The cost was $99 per pass and there were no credits given if you purchased two and there was also no service charge added. We really enjoyed the Vibe and feel it is worth every penny. Though it was very windy at times, the peace and quite was very relaxing and the bar service was excellent. Wished we were able to spend more time there, but we also wanted to spend time with our two teenagers so we did not spend all day there.

5) Every staff member we encountered was extremely friendly with a few standouts that went out of their way to make sure we had excellent service.

6) The App Iconcierge worked great for us and it really came in handy for our group--especially with the four teenagers. It was well worth the money.

7) Margaretville. Still a disappointment with the new change. Only my nephew and his wife ate lunch their one day as the rest of us refused to pay for something that was promoted as free. However, every time I did pass it, it seemed empty to me.

8) Pools and pool decks were very crowded but our cruise was also sold out and we heard there were over 2000 kids on board. The very early chair hogs were out in full force. However, I did witness the pool staff removing towels from lounges every time someone approached them and complained about not finding a lounge.

9) Tortola ended up being our favorite day, but it had nothing to do with their actual port. We ended up hiring a private charter for seven hours. I believe the actual port will be beautiful one day, but right now, it is just not ready for huge cruise ships as there is too much construction going on.

10) Found bar service very crowded the first day, but after that, it was never hard or took an unusual amount of time.

11) We all had Deck 10 Aft Balcony rooms and all enjoyed the balcony. My family of four thought the room was a decent size as we expected the worse and were happily surprised. We found there to be a lot of storage room and were able to keep the suitcases under the bed. The phone/tablet recharge outlets by the bed are an excellent idea and came in handy every night.

In summary, we all had a great time; however, for my family, we do prefer land based all-inclusive vacations. My two teens love to participate in watersports and land adventures and found our time really limited in ports.

Thank you for that detailed review.

We are going on the 30th and are very excited.

Couple of questions if you don't mind....

What were the ladies wearing at night?

Did the men wear jackets on the dressy night?

What is the white out party?

Was the ship really rocking a lot?

Lastly, I was told the vibe was $79 by customer service. So it's $99?

Thanks

Newfimom

You are very welcome. I really appreciated everyone who posted prior to my cruise about their experience so I thought I would return the favor.

It was truly dress as you like to dress. At night I either wore a dress or long skirt. I do not think I saw any females wearing shorts in the MDR. Some women were very dressed up however.

There were men wearing jackets but more men did not then did. Even on New Years Eve, most men just wore a nice shirt and slacks. My husband and son did have a shirt and tie on, but no jacket.

For us, the ship movement was more noticeable the first few days--especially at night. However, after a few days, I really did not feel it. In the past, I have always worn sea band bracelets as it had bothered me. I took the bracelets off on Tuesday and never put them back on. I also think it really depends on the weather and sea conditions. My husband did tell me that he did hear a lot of people complaining about the movement, but I did not hear anything.

Now, regarding Vibe. I was initially told through research prior that it was raised to $99 plus an 18% service charge and you would get a $50 credit if you purchased two. In our case, it was indeed $99 per pass, but there was no service charge added or any credits for buying two. For us, the difference was $12 so I was happy. However, on some days, an extra $50 entertainment credit was posted to my account but in the end it was taken off.

Regarding the white party....sorry, I think they had a New Years celebration instead so I do not have any information.

Thanks for the great info! I'm also bummed about Margaritaville, hopefully they change it back to complimentary if business continues to be slow.

A couple of questions:

What charter service did you use in Tortola?

Where is credit services located to get the Vibe passes?

Thanks again!

Drew

Edited by TornWonder

Thanks for the great info! I'm also bummed about Margaritaville, hopefully they change it back to complimentary if business continues to be slow.

A couple of questions:

What charter service did you use in Tortola?

Where is credit services located to get the Vibe passes?

Thanks again!

Drew

As soon as you board go down one floor and it is right next to Guest Services but on the furtherst right line---it does say Credit Services. As you get there look for a worker who is handing out numbers. It was very easy to find and we also kept asking workers if we were headed in the right direction just to be sure. I cannot stress enough that you need to be fast. Good luck---I hope you get them.

In Tortola we also used Patouche Charters. Well worth the money. We had a private motor catamaran that held 15 so there was plenty room. He took us to the baths, then snorkeling in another location which was beautiful and alot of fish and turtles to see, then to Cooper Island for lunch on the beach. It really was our best day.

I also hope they change Margaritaville as it really is such a shame.

Thank you again for helping with my questions.

I am looking forward to going and will post my review when I return for the next cruiser.

Happy Cruises

Newfimom

You are very welcome and I am sure you will have a great time.

As soon as you board go down one floor and it is right next to Guest Services but on the furtherst right line---it does say Credit Services. As you get there look for a worker who is handing out numbers. It was very easy to find and we also kept asking workers if we were headed in the right direction just to be sure. I cannot stress enough that you need to be fast. Good luck---I hope you get them.

In Tortola we also used Patouche Charters. Well worth the money. We had a private motor catamaran that held 15 so there was plenty room. He took us to the baths, then snorkeling in another location which was beautiful and alot of fish and turtles to see, then to Cooper Island for lunch on the beach. It really was our best day.

I also hope they change Margaritaville as it really is such a shame.

Thank you for the info. Do you mind charging how much the catamaran tour costs? It sounds like a perfect day!!

Thank you for the info. Do you mind charging how much the catamaran tour costs? It sounds like a perfect day!!

It was $1500 and the boat holds 15. On the boat there was a cooler with cold drinks and they also provided all of the snorkel equipment. When I spoke to Captain Joe beforehand, I told him what we were interested in and he really planned the perfect day. It truly was the highlight of our vacation and worth every penny.

Just returned last Saturday from our Escape New Years Eve cruise and I thought I would summarize our experience for those interested.......

Our group consisted of me (51), husband (51), daughter (17), son (16), dad (79), brother (54), sister (49), brother in law (52), nephew (24), nephew's wife (24), nephew (14) and nephew (13).

This was the first cruise for my sister and her two younger sons. My dad has been on many cruises and me and my family have been on a few with the Disney Magic being our last.

First off, we all had an amazing time and enjoyed our vacation very much. Here we go:

1) To our disappointment, Million Dollar Quartet was cancelled during our cruise. They did replace this show with Supreme Reflections which we did go to and it was very good in our opinion; however, we really wanted to see Million Dollar Quartet.

2) We all found the food to be very good for the most part. The buffet is huge and honestly, there is something for everyone. We found the layout really good and it was easy for us to find family members sitting down. I have read previously many complaints and I really do not understand them.

3) The service in the MDR was hit or miss. Some nights it went very fast and some nights, it was an unorganized mess---especially New Years Eve. We had no problem reserving seating for 12 each night. As soon as my brother-in-law boarded, he made the arrangements even though we had the reservations previously.

4) Vibe. My sister and I were allowed to board with my dad early and we boarded around 11:15 with Group 1. We practically ran to credit services and secured four passes in the nick of time. The cost was $99 per pass and there were no credits given if you purchased two and there was also no service charge added. We really enjoyed the Vibe and feel it is worth every penny. Though it was very windy at times, the peace and quite was very relaxing and the bar service was excellent. Wished we were able to spend more time there, but we also wanted to spend time with our two teenagers so we did not spend all day there.

5) Every staff member we encountered was extremely friendly with a few standouts that went out of their way to make sure we had excellent service.

6) The App Iconcierge worked great for us and it really came in handy for our group--especially with the four teenagers. It was well worth the money.

7) Margaretville. Still a disappointment with the new change. Only my nephew and his wife ate lunch their one day as the rest of us refused to pay for something that was promoted as free. However, every time I did pass it, it seemed empty to me.

8) Pools and pool decks were very crowded but our cruise was also sold out and we heard there were over 2000 kids on board. The very early chair hogs were out in full force. However, I did witness the pool staff removing towels from lounges every time someone approached them and complained about not finding a lounge.

9) Tortola ended up being our favorite day, but it had nothing to do with their actual port. We ended up hiring a private charter for seven hours. I believe the actual port will be beautiful one day, but right now, it is just not ready for huge cruise ships as there is too much construction going on.

10) Found bar service very crowded the first day, but after that, it was never hard or took an unusual amount of time.

11) We all had Deck 10 Aft Balcony rooms and all enjoyed the balcony. My family of four thought the room was a decent size as we expected the worse and were happily surprised. We found there to be a lot of storage room and were able to keep the suitcases under the bed. The phone/tablet recharge outlets by the bed are an excellent idea and came in handy every night.

In summary, we all had a great time; however, for my family, we do prefer land based all-inclusive vacations. My two teens love to participate in watersports and land adventures and found our time really limited in ports.

Thanks for your recent review! We're on the March 12th cruise.

Question about the App IConcierge: If everyone purchases it on their device, can you communicate via iMessage and phone while on the ship for the whole cruise? Also, what was the charge per device for the week?

Thanks so much!

I'm curious is any reason was given for the cancellation? I have the show booked in a couple of weeks, and its probably the only show I really want to see.;) Thanks for your honest review.:)

Thanks for your recent review! We're on the March 12th cruise.

Question about the App IConcierge: If everyone purchases it on their device, can you communicate via iMessage and phone while on the ship for the whole cruise? Also, what was the charge per device for the week?

Thanks so much!

It was $7.95 per phone and it allowed both texts and phone calls between phones on the ship for the whole week. For us it was well worth it and we all used it alot. It was a great way to keep track of where our teenagers were and it also came in handy keeping track of some of our adults. It was very easy to load and work.

Edited by vacation44

I'm curious is any reason was given for the cancellation? I have the show booked in a couple of weeks, and its probably the only show I really want to see.;) Thanks for your honest review.:)

NCL did not give any official reason. However, the rumor that went around was one of the singers was thrown off the ship for bad behavior. We all were really looking forward to this show for months. We were dissapointed that when they replaced it with the Supreme group, they never notified us. We found out by accident and then made those reservations.

One more thing I forgot to add.....not a big deal but I thought it was strange. Half way through our cruise the MDRs and the buffet ran out of butter! The next day I saw one station at the lunch buffet with butter but the MDR where we ate dinner had none again. For the rest of the trip, we would go to that one buffet station and grab some butter before we headed to dinner. I know it sounds silly but we are big bread eaters who prefer butter.

It was $7.95 per phone and it allowed both texts and phone calls between phones on the ship for the whole week. For us it was well worth it and we all used it alot. It was a great way to keep track of where our teenagers were and it also came in handy keeping track of some of our adults. It was very easy to load and work.

Thanks for the info! This sounds exactly like what we need with our large group and teens too! Thanks again for your review :-)

Thanks for the info! This sounds exactly like what we need with our large group and teens too! Thanks again for your review :-)

Very welcome again. Just make sure everyone knows to check their phones regularly as sometimes we did not hear the buzz. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for you your review. I find all reviews helpful and read every one. I thought yours was fair and balanced. I sympathize with your disappointment in not getting to see Million Dollar Quartet. We have regularly passed on seeing them in Vegas because of our upcoming cruise. Hope they are back when we sail next month. When we sailed Epic last year, we thought we were going to see Blue Man Group and that got changed to a Four Seasons tribute. Enjoyed the show (we had seen it before) but wished BMG could have been there.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise especially with all your family. The butter thing is just weird. Lack of planning on someone's part.

Forgot to ask my question lol. Did you eat at any of the specialty restaurants. We have not made any reservations and our cruise is next month. I am traveling with my two sisters who like to fly by the seat of their pants. I am the planner and organizer and I love them but they drive me crazy. Sis says we can make reservations when we get on board. I'm worried about getting into Teppanyaki more then any of the other venues. What was your experience.

Forgot to ask my question lol. Did you eat at any of the specialty restaurants. We have not made any reservations and our cruise is next month. I am traveling with my two sisters who like to fly by the seat of their pants. I am the planner and organizer and I love them but they drive me crazy. Sis says we can make reservations when we get on board. I'm worried about getting into Teppanyaki more then any of the other venues. What was your experience.

As a group if 12, we decided beforehand not to eat at any of the specialty restaurants as we wanted to eat together every night and it was just easier for us. That being said, I would definetly make the reservations beforehand---especially the one you want to eat in. You can always cancel. If you do not make them before you go, make them as soon as you get on the ship. I am a planner also so it would drive me crazy not knowing I have my reservations.

Thank you for you your review. I find all reviews helpful and read every one. I thought yours was fair and balanced. I sympathize with your disappointment in not getting to see Million Dollar Quartet. We have regularly passed on seeing them in Vegas because of our upcoming cruise. Hope they are back when we sail next month. When we sailed Epic last year, we thought we were going to see Blue Man Group and that got changed to a Four Seasons tribute. Enjoyed the show (we had seen it before) but wished BMG could have been there.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise especially with all your family. The butter thing is just weird. Lack of planning on someone's part.

You are welcome. I hope they start showing the show again as I know alot of cruisers look forward to it. Again, it did not ruin our trip, but it was a dissapointment for us.

I was on this sailing too! Completely different experience as we were two single ladies with adjoining solo cabins. Our trip was very much alcohol intensive for a lack of better description. The white out party was our fav, over the nye party even. We did 3 specialty restaurants. And made it a point to try every bar on the ship! [emoji15] Good times!!