Recent Escape/Getaway Cruises who traveled without passports

Pappion

First off, let me start by asking the snarky posters to not answer. DH and I have passports in hand(well, purse), ready to go with us, both card and book form.

However, this trip my inlaws are joining us, and in a stroke of genius somehow my FIL moved his passport from his luggage and lost it in the house. They decided to drive to Miami instead of fly (from MICHIGAN at that) so they are long gone on their way. (Our flight leaves tomorrow morning.) They called NCL and were told if they had drivers license, birth certificate, and marriage license that he should have no problems with customs.

(Yes I know if something happens in a port and he needs to fly he will be S.O.L.)

My question is, has anyone recently gone on Escape or Getaway out of Miami with just a DL and Birth Certificate and had any issues? Should we go tear apart their house to find his passport?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

I have not sailed on NCL, but I have on others with just a B/C and drivers license with no issues. I would not worry since they even ask you when you register, what type of ID you are bringing and state issued ID and B/C are both options Check the house as good as you can, but if you don't find it, don't worry. Have fun.

We booked a last minute cruise last year on the Getaway and then found that our passports were expired, no time to renew. We went with drivers' licences and birth certificates and had no issues at all.

We just got off the Escape yesterday. All three port stops required room key and photo ID. No slow down for getting back onboard. There was a couple in front of us where the wife forgot a photo ID in Nassau...they gave her a hard time, short lecture but let her back on. I have a passport but left it in the safe and brought only my DL.

That delay can be considerable tho. As an example, one of my TAs other clients was stuck in Nassau for 9 days after being offshored due to a medical concern with her husband. The funny thing was the consular officer expedited the husbands paperwork for care, not hers (she had to wait for a replacement to be sent from the US), so he was medevaced home and the daughter had to deal with it until mom could catch up.

All depends on who you end up dealing with. When bureacracy is involved I always assume worst case scenarios.

As long as the birth certs are issued by a government entity there should be no problem. And should "something" happen no one is S.O.L., they just need to face a delay while they enlist the help of the Consulate.

That delay can be considerable tho. As an example, one of my TAs other clients was stuck in Nassau for 9 days after being offshored due to a medical concern with her husband. The funny thing was the consular officer expedited the husbands paperwork for care, not hers (she had to wait for a replacement to be sent from the US), so he was medevaced home and the daughter had to deal with it until mom could catch up.

All depends on who you end up dealing with. When bureacracy is involved I always assume worst case scenarios.

That's the worst case that I've heard of and yes, it was considerable. I have also heard of someone walking into the Consulate in Nassau and walking out with a new passport in an hour and a half (no emergency, missed the ship because of a miscommunication with the remainder of his party). Does make a good case for good travel insurance:).