Getting around with a mobility scooter

Boozebabe

Not getting much help on the disabled travel forum. So can anyone give a little advice on getting around Old San Juan on a mobility scooter. I am not 100% confined to it. But I can not walk long distances. I know theres a lot of cobblestone streets and that doesn't bother me. I'm just wondering about hills. Any suggestions Last time there I was in a wheelchair and we took a city tour on a bus. The driver folded my chair and stowed it. Thats not possible this time with the scooter. We would like to do or see something. Help please.

The sidewalks are very narrow in most of Old San Juan but if you are in no hurry you should be able to negotiate them unless you meet another mobility scooter head on.

It is quite hilly up from the port but if your scooter is well charged you should have no trouble as Old San Juan is really a pretty small area.

Riding on the cobblestone streets will be very bumpy so you will have to travel slowly and watch for traffic as the streets are very narrow.

The sidewalks are very narrow in most of Old San Juan but if you are in no hurry you should be able to negotiate them unless you meet another mobility scooter head on.

It is quite hilly up from the port but if your scooter is well charged you should have no trouble as Old San Juan is really a pretty small area.

Riding on the cobblestone streets will be very bumpy so you will have to travel slowly and watch for traffic as the streets are very narrow.

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try. I can always go back and enjoy an empty ship/pool/hot tubs.

I managed quite well with the scooter in old San Juan. Yes there were a few tight squeezes or I had to wait for the sidewalk to empty, but going slow and carefully in those areas worked. Heading downhill was fun

Not getting much help on the disabled travel forum. So can anyone give a little advice on getting around Old San Juan on a mobility scooter. I am not 100% confined to it. But I can not walk long distances. I know theres a lot of cobblestone streets and that doesn't bother me. I'm just wondering about hills. Any suggestions Last time there I was in a wheelchair and we took a city tour on a bus. The driver folded my chair and stowed it. Thats not possible this time with the scooter. We would like to do or see something. Help please.

We will be traveling for the first time with my husband in a transport wheelchair. It folds as small as a wheelchair can. Can you tell me your experience with the city tour on a bus? Where did you get it? Did you get off and on again? Were the drivers cooperative? We would be a tad slow. My husband can go up and down steps but needs my assistance coming down that last step. Any advice for other things to do in San Juan?

We will be traveling for the first time with my husband in a transport wheelchair. It folds as small as a wheelchair can. Can you tell me your experience with the city tour on a bus? Where did you get it? Did you get off and on again? Were the drivers cooperative? We would be a tad slow. My husband can go up and down steps but needs my assistance coming down that last step. Any advice for other things to do in San Juan?

When we got off the ship we went to the end of the walkway and there were people there selling tours. We just chose a city tour. We actually saw a lot. I think it was only $20 per person. The driver folded my chair and put it up front by him. We made a few stops where we could get off the bus/van. I just got off and took some pictures and did not need the chair but he was ready to take it off for me if I wanted him to. We were all a little slow so we were the last to get off the van. If my memory serves me correctly he stood outside the van and helped everyone who needed his help. We tipped a few extra $$ at the end. We did get to see a lot of the city. Mostly Old San Juan with very good narration. We are all older (63-78) and we all thought it was a great tour for the money. And no need to plan ahead. There were a LOT of tour vendors out there so shop around because they can be aggresssive. The person who books you is usually not the driver. Hope this helps you. We will be in San Juan the 3rd week of february. I'll try to post some more info about tours after I return.