Another Seattle Transportation Question

runner2013

Hi all,

I will be flying into Seattle Sept 2016 for a cruise on the NCL Pearl.

Right now I'm tentatively leaning towards the Hotel Five for my lodging. (I don't want to rent a car to do sightseeing and from what I've found online I should be able to get to the Space Needle/and Pikes Market relatively easy from here.)

My question for everyone concerns the shuttle service to/from the hotel.

I've found Eastsideforhire, Shuttle Express, and Seattle Express which all looked promising in the beginning, but after reading the reviews for all of them it seemed as though none of them were very good/reliable.

Can anyone who's taken them recently offer some insight as to which may be my best option, or perhaps recommend another company I haven't mentioned? For personal reasons I don't want to take the rail system and a taxi is out as well.

I'll be traveling solo this trip so there won't be lots of luggage, stroller, etc to take with me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

My question for everyone concerns the shuttle service to/from the hotel. QUOTE]

When you say "to/from the hotel" do you mean to/from Seatac or the pier?

I'm local and I've used eastsideforhire several times in the 3-4 yrs since I found them, and Shuttle Express many times over the past 25 yrs. Never a problem with either.

For me, it's just a short ride in a car or van so I go for the cheapest. (10 minutes hotel/pier, 30 minutes airport/hotel)

Edited by mapleleaves

My question for everyone concerns the shuttle service to/from the hotel. QUOTE]

When you say "to/from the hotel" do you mean to/from Seatac or the pier?

I'm local and I've used eastsideforhire several times in the 3-4 yrs since I found them, and Shuttle Express many times over the past 25 yrs. Never a problem with either.

For me, it's just a short ride in a car or van so I go for the cheapest. (10 minutes hotel/pier, 30 minutes airport/hotel)

I meant to/from airport to hotel.. sorry for the confusion....thanks for your response.. I;m glad to know there have been positive experiences recently with two of the shuttle services.

Why is a taxi out? Anyway there are STILA towncar/limousines parked next to the taxis at the airport. Much more comfortable and cost the same.

Because I don't want to take a taxi....that's why its out.. Can you walk up and get into one of the limo's or do you need to make an appointment in advance?

STILA has the airport contract for limo/towncar service so they are the only company with vehicles staged there. Other companies can pick up at Seatac but STILA is the only company that has their cars in the airport garage. You call them from the courtesy phone from baggage claim and they pick you up at the curb. in 2 minutes. When I walked by their kiosk in Nov the price was $45 to downtown.

http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Parking-and-Transportation/Ground-Transportation/Pages/Taxis-and-Limos.aspx

STILA gets their share of complaints too ..... I think it's the nature of the business.

I've used eastsideforhire happily in the past; as a solo then the rates for shuttle express shared rides are probably even more attractive to you.

The taxi query - the reason you don't want to take them is relevant because if it's just cost, end of story, but if you have e.g. concerns about insufficient background checks on drivers and traveling as a lone female then you'll face just the same risks in any other non-shared transport like Uber, Lyft, Eastside, STILA towncars etc. etc. in that you'll be alone in a vehicle with a stranger. Whatever your reason for not wanting to take a cab might be, knowing that allows those familiar with the legal/practical framework of transportation in Seattle to actually give you the most relevant advice...

As to why all the poor reviews - very few people seem to bother going on to Yelp etc. to log positive reviews about cab firms. OTOH, if you have an unusually crappy experience and want to vent, it seems much more common. Very few cab firms anywhere seem to get a broad range of reviews!

Edited by martincath

A towncar service that I can't say enough about...

I highly recommend SeaTac Towncar Services while in Seattle. AJ is so nice, I know, because we have used him a few times for transportation needs while in Seattle. His number is (206) 697-5577. He is happy to give you a quote over the phone, he has a towncar that seats 4 comfortably that I think is $55 from the airport to Pier 91 or $45 to Pier 66 downtown...also hotels downtown. He has a SUV Chevy Suburban that is $65 from airport to Pier 91. I also think he has a 10 passenger van that is $12 per person (minimum 7 people). We have had him pick us up from Pioneer Square and also downtown Seattle for about $25 and was ALWAYS on time, friendly, and great competitive prices. Here is his website that I just looked up. www.seatactowncar.com You will be happy you gave him your business Hope this helps you and others looking for transportation reviews. Hello from San Diego!

Seattle Express isn't an option for you as they don't provide SeaTac to hotel service.

Shuttle Express would be a shared ride or private. With a shared ride (around $20), the van will be dropping several passengers off at various hotels. Your hotel might be first, might be last. Private rides are priced accordingly. I've only used the shared service.

As a solo woman traveler, I usually use the Light Rail if I'm going downtown ( $3) , and eastsideforhire if I'm going home. I stopped using Shuttle Express when I found eastsideforhire. There was nothing wrong with Shuttle Express except that with a shared ride you have no control over the timing of your drop off ... the other passengers factor into the route.

(eastsideforhire is $29 SeaTac - downtown)

Edited by mapleleaves

Thank you everyone for all the information.

It doesn't matter whether its a private or shared ride to be honest.

I usually leave myself an extra hour or so from the airport to hotel for late pickups or several drop offs before reaching my destination. That way i'm not in a time crunch or worried about missing my plane when it's time to come home.

I'll be sure to take a look at all your suggestions and pick what -hopefully- will work best for me.:D

Would you be ok with an Uber Black to Downtown? It's a $55 flat rate to Downtown.

We have a good Uber system here. Once you are downtown, UberX (or Uber Black if you are willing to pay more) might be your best option getting around to see sights that are a little farther away, after dark, or to get to the pier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

here is a link to a comprehensive list you can find on tripadvisor.com seattle forum.

There are multiple walk up type shuttles including a new one called

speedishuttleseattle.com

which shows $15.99 to downtown hotels. They may also be good for exclusive vans for small groups of people. Here are your options;

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c50949/Seattle:Washington:Cruises.From.Seattle.html

here is a link to a comprehensive list you can find on tripadvisor.com seattle forum.

There are multiple walk up type shuttles including a new one called

speedishuttleseattle.com

which shows $15.99 to downtown hotels. They may also be good for exclusive vans for small groups of people. Here are your options;

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60878-c50949/Seattle:Washington:Cruises.From.Seattle.html

Thanks for the link... very helpful...