Fresh off the Sunshine: My observations

FloridaGram

I had read many negative reviews and the price is always higher than other ships so I had put off going on the Sunshine. I am glad I went, even though the only reason I picked this cruise was to go to Half Moon Cay and we got rained out and could not go.

Some of what you read is true, the public space is too small for that amount of people. And when it rained all day and no one was on Lido you can imagine what the interior was like. I have to imagine too, because I mostly stayed in my cabin but it was not unbearable when I ventured out. People just find stuff to do and I never heard much grumbling. Carnival cannot control the weather!

The first day as I toured the ship I felt like it was a bad experiment gone wrong. But as time went by, and the activities seemed more than some other ships, the CD Jaime Dee was incredible, and the Liquid Lounge always seemed to have enough seats in its two stories and we were able to find seats in Serenity it all just worked out. And the ship was full, so it cannot get any more people than that! The only place I really noticed not enough room was the comedy shows but that is the same on any ship, it is always packed!

We knew not refrig so we took a small ice chest and our room steward kept it full twice a day so DH could have his sodas!

I would book it again except it is leaving Port Canaveral soon. If you are considering the Sunshine I say give it a try! If you have any questions I would be happy to answer if I can.

I had read many negative reviews and the price is always higher than other ships so I had put off going on the Sunshine. I am glad I went, even though the only reason I picked this cruise was to go to Half Moon Cay and we got rained out and could not go.

Some of what you read is true, the public space is too small for that amount of people. And when it rained all day and no one was on Lido you can imagine what the interior was like. I have to imagine too, because I mostly stayed in my cabin but it was not unbearable when I ventured out. People just find stuff to do and I never heard much grumbling. Carnival cannot control the weather!

The first day as I toured the ship I felt like it was a bad experiment gone wrong. But as time went by, and the activities seemed more than some other ships, the CD Jaime Dee was incredible, and the Liquid Lounge always seemed to have enough seats in its two stories and we were able to find seats in Serenity it all just worked out. And the ship was full, so it cannot get any more people than that! The only place I really noticed not enough room was the comedy shows but that is the same on any ship, it is always packed!

We knew not refrig so we took a small ice chest and our room steward kept it full twice a day so DH could have his sodas!

I would book it again except it is leaving Port Canaveral soon. If you are considering the Sunshine I say give it a try! If you have any questions I would be happy to answer if I can.

We'll be cruising on the Sunshine for the third time in April, but first time in and out of the same port..About what time did your cruise arrive back into Port Canaveral? We still are fumbling with airfare, and considering a flight home that leaves around 11am...tight I know....but just wanted to hear from someone who recently returned to get a sense of the arrival time...knowing of course nothing is absolute.

I've been wanting to sail on the Sunshine, so great to read this. What do you mean when you say "I felt like it was a bad experiment gone wrong"?

The layout is a little different and not that many hallways go front to back the length of the ship.

It simply takes a little of a learning, forethought and then it's a piece of cake to navigate.

Edited by fuddrules

The layout is a little different and not that many hallways go front to back the length of the ship.

It simply takes a little of a learning, forethought and then it's a piece of cake to navigate.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I imagine the layout is a little wonky due to the extensive renovation from Destiny. Sticking with the Breeze for now!

I've been wanting to sail on the Sunshine, so great to read this. What do you mean when you say "I felt like it was a bad experiment gone wrong"?

Because the show room was smaller than other ships, only 2 decks, rather than 3. There is a bar and 2 pay restaurants in the space the aft pool is on most other ships. The comedy club is too small, smaller than the ships I have been on. And the Lido deck is smaller because Serenity is bigger. The Sunshine is smaller than the Liberty yet carries more passengers now. So they tried packing more people in a smaller space and I am thinking it does not work.

That said, I loved my cruise! The shows were excellent and I am not sorry I went!

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I imagine the layout is a little wonky due to the extensive renovation from Destiny. Sticking with the Breeze for now!

Did you know the Breeze is leaving Miami pretty soon? I have to rush to get a cruise on her before she moves to Galveston.

Thanks for sharing. I am looking at the Sunshine when she moves to Charleston but I have been wary of the negative reviews. I just like the idea of no travel or overnight hotel stay before a cruise.

When does Sunshine move to Charleston? We are on Sunshine next Thanksgiving!

When does Sunshine move to Charleston? We are on Sunshine next Thanksgiving!

Sunshine is doing 3 or 4 cruises from Charleston in 2016, I have not heard she's moving there though. Ecstasy replaced Fantasy, so not much difference there. I am sailing Sunshine from Charleston in May and I don't care about the reviews, it has to be better than the smaller ships out of there to date and I love the 2 hour drive! :D

Did you know the Breeze is leaving Miami pretty soon? I have to rush to get a cruise on her before she moves to Galveston.

Hi Florida Gram I also went on the Bahama Star in the fall of 69 I was 15 at the time. It was a rough ride nearly everyone got seasick even my dad an old navy guy. DH and I love cruising and the Sunshine.

Sunshine is doing 3 or 4 cruises from Charleston in 2016, I have not heard she's moving there though. Ecstasy replaced Fantasy, so not much difference there. I am sailing Sunshine from Charleston in May and I don't care about the reviews, it has to be better than the smaller ships out of there to date and I love the 2 hour drive! :D

I want to take advantage of the Charleston port as well. Just hasn't worked schedule-wise. Also I love a balcony but I don't want to pay for a suite to get one, considering the ships that sail out of Charleston currently. That's great that you could book a cruise on Sunshine while she is there in Charleston.

I'm looking forward to the Serenity area!!!:D

We are currently onboard the Sunshine right now! Our 4th time on her and we absolutely love this ship. in my opinion she gets a bad rap, never had a complaint, even in the small comedy club. Senerity area is probably my favorite of all the ships.

Yes it's a little different. A little. The majority of the ship is just like any other Carnival layout. I found the difference refreshing. And I absolutely loved Ocean Plaza with the cabins aft behind it.

We had no rain. The ship never felt anymore crowded than the other 7 I have been on. Exception to that would be that shoebox comedy club. I'm used to comedy shows being popular and therefore packed, but that box is too small by 100%. It needs to be doubled in size, which is impossible.

I agree with the previous poster, the ship totally gets a bad rap.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

FloridaGram, we were on this cruise as well. We had a fabulous time, even with all the rain. Sure there were some things I missed, like coffee pot in the room and refrigerator in cabin. The staff was great, our room steward was there when ever we needed him, and the dining room staff was wonderful as well. On the upside, there was no chair hogging at the pool😀 We did go out a little bit on the day we were supposed to go to Half Moon Cay. It wasn't that bad. We did have to do a little bit of scouting to find a place to sit and read, but we found a place no problem. I think I like the fact that there were not a lot of specialty restaurants on board. We enjoyed the dining room experience again. With specialty restaurants, we wind up going there and spending less time in the dining room. We did sushi one night and had a great time. Enjoyed the sushi. Would I go in the Sunshine again? Yes we would, in a heartbeat.

I sailed on her as Destiny worried about what others said about Sunshine. After sailing on the Sunshine I liked the ship very well. Jamie Dee is a great CD too. It's like any of the ships. Fun is what you make it to be and I would sail her again anytime her itinerary is a match for me.

We only had two issues with layout on the Sunshine. The lesser was the walkway next to the Blue Iguana. It is tight and the line for the Iguana here causes a traffic jam. We learned to go on the other side next to Guy's.

The worst was that the spa cabins only have two elevators that go up to those levels, and they are not dedicated to those floors. During embarkation, they were locked to move luggage. WOE to anyone doing self-assist and had to carry their luggage up the stairs. Later in the cruise it could take over 10 minutes for an elevator to arrive to go down. We are very laid back and we just walked if the elevator wasn't already on the spa levels. We walked down past plenty of unhappy people every day. Good/bad news is spa cabin people get plenty of exercise taking the stairs. We would rebook on Sunshine, but would not book a spa cabin again.

I do agree Jamie Dee is pretty lively. Most cruises I never notice the cruise director, but she was everywhere always leading the party.