Which Insurance Company

Jane110

We're taking a Baltic cruise on the Grand Princess and buying insurance.

Looked at InsureMyTrip.com and I like the coverage from Access America. That along with what we get from bring AMEX Platinum card holders is enough for our needs.

My question is....Has anyone had a negative experience with Access America where they had to file a claim and Access didn't pay?

Thanks for your comments.

Jane

Jane,

I had Access America and had to cancel a cruise due to my mom's heart surgery.

I thought it would be difficult to do the paperwork to get my cruise/air and hotel fare back. I waited 9 months - thinking I would dread the experience. I finally did it and it was painless. I received an insurance check for the entire amount (minus the cost of insurance) within 10 days of submitting the paperwork. I couldn't believe how easy it was!

I have only praise for Access America. This is also the insurance company my TA recommends.

-Theresa

Theresa,

Thanks for the feedback.

I actually did purchase Access for a past Ren cruise which was cancelled by Ren and my AMEX refunded the money and our airline tkts were fully refundable by the airline. So we had no claim with Access. But we had only bought the insurance 3 days before the cruise was cancelled so Access gave us full credit for the amount we paid which we used a year later for our Oceania cruise. That made me feel feel good about them, however, again we never needed to file a claim with Access.

You story puts the positive icing on the cake. Thanks!

Jane

If it was me I'd take the Princess cruise line insurance. It might be a little more, but if something happens on board (and things DO happen) you don't have to go through a middle-man; you are dealing directly with Princess. I fractured my pelvis and took Princess insurance and they paid for EVERYTHING. Air evacuation, private hospital room, 1st class going home, private nurse, limo driver to take me to the hospital in the USA. NEVER travel without the cruise line insurance. Before that tried another company and had to make all the phone calls myself, put MY money up front, it was a real mess. Take the cruise line insurance, it's worth every penny and more--if you need it while on board.

Michele

The main reason I don't use Princess insurance is because the pre-existing clause is pretty complicated. I am healthy but have a parent that is not. With Access America - if I purchase the insurance within 14 days of the cruise deposit - her pre-existing condition is waived for insurance purposes. With PrincessCare - when I pay the insurance, my mom can have no change in her medical condition for the previous 60 days (or 90?). A change in medication or dosage can be considered a change in condition. So if she becomes sick with heart issues, she may not be covered if she is on the trip with me or my trip home may not be covered. So, if you have pre-existing conditions or someone in your family does - read Princess' insurance very carefully.

Princess Travel Care is underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA and is administered by BerkelyCare. If you call and ask questions or file a claim - it is with BerkelyCare.

Coral, you're right about the pre-existing conditions. We always take the insurance out the day we make our first deposit, that way it covers pre-existing conditions. You are also right about Berkley Care too. When I had to use it they were extremely prompt with everything and always very polite. I still think Princess insurance is the only way to go for us. They treated us 1st Class when I had my broken wrist and fractured pelvis. There was no middle-man to deal with when I had my accident while on the cruise.

Michele

Archived