Which excursion to eliminate?

karen_g

Everything I want to do on my June Alaska cruise is expensive (no surprise there). In an effort to trim costs, I would like to rule out one of the following 3 excursions. For those who have done all 3, perhaps you can give me advice on which of these 3 was your least favorite (I know they are all good!).

A) Misty Fjords Flightseeing with Island Wings out of Ketchikan

B) Helicopter Flightseeing & glacier landing from Juneau

C) Tracy Arm small boat excursion

Any thoughts/opinions?

Everything I want to do on my June Alaska cruise is expensive (no surprise there). In an effort to trim costs, I would like to rule out one of the following 3 excursions. For those who have done all 3, perhaps you can give me advice on which of these 3 was your least favorite (I know they are all good!).

Any thoughts/opinions?

Aw jeez, all of those excursions are great. I wouldn't know which one to trim! I've done all three, and loved them all (although in Ketchikan I've flown with other companies - Carlin, Family Air, and Southeast; they're all fine). To lower your costs, how about a cheaper cabin instead? Is that a feasible option? Well, I'm not helping you very much!

I would say above all to keep the helicopter sightseeing, and have a back-up plan for Juneau if the weather prohibits you from flying (anything that limits visibility, like rain or fog). My sister, who is a very good amateur photographer, loved the Tracy Arm small boat excursion the most. But she also got some great shots on the Misty Fiords flightseeing. You may have to end up tossing a coin!

Edited by middle-aged mom

You did not say which line you are cruising on. It makes a difference with TA.

I have done the TA small boat excursion - it is a great add on to a cruise ship transit as it allows you to get closer to the glacier than the ship does.

Time of year also makes a difference - the TA excursion when run in conjunction with the ship follows the ship - which may go to a different fjord and glacier in the early season (April and May).

Also any flight tours in AK are often cancelled due to weather - it is good to have a back up plan.

The TA excursion is probably the cheapest of the three - while it is fantastic it is probably the one I would put on the B list.

Also unless you are on a ship like the NCL Jewel - where the ship visits TA after Juneau, there may not be enough time to do both the helicopter glacier tour and the TA excursion during your port stop in Juneau.

To lower your costs, how about a cheaper cabin instead? Is that a feasible option? Well, I'm not helping you very much!
Good idea...

@Karen_g: Do you have a hotel in Vancouver pre/post-cruise? If you are staying near the cruise terminal, look to hotels a few blocks away for significant nightly savings.

Edited by xlxo

Thanks everyone for your comments. Maybe I'll try to figure out some way to be able to do all 3 since this is likely a one-time-only Alaska trip. Also, I appreciate your advice about having back-up plans for flight/helicopter excursions in case of bad weather. And I haven't even started thinking about hotels yet - ack!! Better get on that!

Thanks everyone for your comments. Maybe I'll try to figure out some way to be able to do all 3 since this is likely a one-time-only Alaska trip. Also, I appreciate your advice about having back-up plans for flight/helicopter excursions in case of bad weather. And I haven't even started thinking about hotels yet - ack!! Better get on that!

Alaska is very expensive, especially if you are used to Caribbean excursions. The ones you pick are really good. Good luck on saving - it would be worth it to make sacrifices between now and then to get the tours you want. You will not regret it.

I also agree - I would rather go with an inside cabin vs a balcony to get more excursions.

Also, not sure which cruise line you went with but some lines still allow discounting which can save you a lot of money when booking with a travel agent. Also continue to look at your cruise price to see if there are price reductions and you can get your cruise re-fared. Or new sales that may give you more OBC.

I would put the Tracy Arm excursion as #1 in my preference.

Edited by Coral

Any thoughts/opinions?

I might have to your problems. I haven't done (B) so don't know how much it cost, but check into Northstar Trekking and you get the flightseeing, BUT you get out of the helicopter and walk and climb the glacier, we did it for about 3 hrs, and the 3 hrs. goes by fast.

I agree with trying to do all 3, if there is a feasible way to do that. Last year we did a 14-day cruise in Alaska and did everything we wanted re shorex.

We saved about $500 by booking our hotel on points (a nice hotel but not someplace we would normally book due to location). We ate cheap meals pre-cruise, didn't shop for any souvenirs (okay, okay, there was one necklace.... ;) ), used a shuttle bus instead of a car service/taxi to get to and from the port, carried every gift card we owned and used them where we could.

We booked an oceanview cabin to save loads of $$$ (and were able to take advantage of a reasonably-priced upsell when it was offered).

If you don't mind flying :eek: see if you can save some $$$ by taking connecting flights instead of direct.

I financed part of one cruise a few years ago by selling some scrap gold on ebay. :) Gotta do what you gotta do :D

Good luck! You sound motivated to make it work, and that is a large part of being successful.

Another vote for all three. You will regret missing one of the yours more than what the cost to you will be. Try cutting back by not going out to dinner once a month until your cruise, several lunches a week at work (bring leftovers /sandwich from home) or that $6 cup of coffee very day. I'd even downgrade my cabin if budget is that tight.

You will have the memories forever so take advantage making them when you can

Edited by DougH

Any thoughts/opinions?

I haven't done either A or B, but I love C it was the highlight of my trip.

On my next cruise, the ship goes into Tracy Arm the day before Juneau - I considered taking this excursion again I liked it so much. (I'll probably do a Bear excursion instead.)

I have an Alaskan cruise with the same tours booked, was wondering the same thing. I guess we will keep them all. What are good back up plans for the flights if excursion is cancelled due to weather? Any suggestions? Was going to start another post but thought OP might like to know as well.

I have an Alaskan cruise with the same tours booked, was wondering the same thing. I guess we will keep them all. What are good back up plans for the flights if excursion is cancelled due to weather? Any suggestions? Was going to start another post but thought OP might like to know as well.

Back up plans are as varied as tour choices. You first, need to familiarize yourself with what is available and the ease of picking it up late booked. Hundreds of choices. Always have vendor phone numbers available, know in advance, IF you will consider alternative flights? (you won't be given a lot of time to make this decision).

Any thoughts/opinions?

I did all three, but I did B with the dog sledding. The choice here for me would be to eliminate A. I loved Michelle. She is fabulous and gets rave reviews here. I even used the picture we took there on my Christmas cards this year. But I thought overall it was a borderline boring excursion. It's just not that thrilling for me to experience the landscape by flying over it. Not my thing, I guess. It was great that we got to land and that was by far my favorite part. If hiking were allowed and that was part of the excursion, I'm sure I'd feel differently. I like to get into nature, not fly over it. I sort of knew I'd feel this way, but sometimes you have to try something to know for sure. So I did, but I would not do this one again.

I wouldn't skimp elsewhere to do this excursion. That's me.