Norwegian Fjords - Ports

SaranM

Hi All, I have booked a cruise on the MSC Opera to go around the Norwegian fjords in June. The ports we are stopping at are Warnemumde, Bergen, Hellesylt/Geiranger and Flam. Does anyone know if you can walk off the ship at these ports or do you have to use a shuttle?

My experience is that Hellesylt is a tech stop to offload excursion passengers who are going overland to Geiranger. They are tendered ashore (very early). There is a floating dock in Geiranger, but I think only one ship can use it so if there are more than one in port, the others tender. People have reported tendering in Flaam, but whe we were there on QE2 we docked. EM

Hi All, I have booked a cruise on the MSC Opera to go around the Norwegian fjords in June. The ports we are stopping at are Warnemumde, Bergen, Hellesylt/Geiranger and Flam. Does anyone know if you can walk off the ship at these ports or do you have to use a shuttle?

Do yourself a HUGE favour. Take the ship excursion in Flam (Train up and Bus down) Absolutely worth every penny! We did it in 2015. You'll see sites that is so beautiful!!

Do yourself a HUGE favour. Take the ship excursion in Flam (Train up and Bus down) Absolutely worth every penny! We did it in 2015. You'll see sites that is so beautiful!!

Funny that! I found the Flam railway to be over rated, crowded and very unpleasant. Some folk are unlucky enough to have to stand and you may be seated on the side of the train that has not got the view.

Each to their own I suppose!

The ship in Warnemunde docks right by the train station. Warnemunde is a lovely seaside town to wander but I would recommend taking the train to Rostock and a second one to Bad Doberan to pick up the Molli Train to Kahlungsborn. Either take a bus back to Warnemunde or retrace your steps.

In Geiranger you are most likely to be tendering as RCCL and X are the only cruise lines that use the sea walk. We were there last year on Costa Favolosa and NCL Sun (I think!) and neither used it! I recommend either bus tour by Fjordservice Geiranger

http://www.geirangerfjord.no/bus-turer-i-geiranger-2

We did the red route. Don't forget to stop by the Fjordnaer Sjokalden for great coffee and chocolate! :) Geiranger village is worth a wander to the church and waterfall climb!

Bergen - depending where you dock you may be shuttled into the city centre. WHile touristy the Floibanen is well worth the trip but there may be queues! Buy your ticket at the tourist office - then you can join the short line. The view and walks are stunning. Bryggen and Fish Market are well worth a poking about! Other things outside the city are Grieg's House and the Fantoft Church and are well worth doing but maybe too much to include on one day. I think the highly recommended Bryggen Museum is now closed for renovation.

I did a port review as part of our Costa Favolosa cruise - can be seen here

http://www.cruisingmates.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=266&t=10245

Thanks Tomvet for all the information, great blog! Any of the ports that we did on our cruise before were docked. Does tethering mean you are brought by a small boat to the port? Does it take long considering there will be about two thousand passengers on the MSC? Also if you don't pay for one of the cruise lines excursions from Hellesylt to Geiranger would that mean that you wouldn't be able to get off the ship at Hellesylt?

Thanks, was looking at the link for bus tours from Geiranger that Tomvet sent. Does anyone have any experience of booking the tours at Geiranger port that day or would you need to book online in advance? Just not sure what time the ship will arrive at Geiranger at.

Thanks, was looking at the link for bus tours from Geiranger that Tomvet sent. Does anyone have any experience of booking the tours at Geiranger port that day or would you need to book online in advance? Just not sure what time the ship will arrive at Geiranger at.

We booked beforehand and our ship was late but the company moved us to the next departure. They were excellent in terms of customer service. Many tours were available for sale on the day. Do you know how many ships are in port with you?

Thanks Tomvet for all the information, great blog! Any of the ports that we did on our cruise before were docked. Does tethering mean you are brought by a small boat to the port? Does it take long considering there will be about two thousand passengers on the MSC? Also if you don't pay for one of the cruise lines excursions from Hellesylt to Geiranger would that mean that you wouldn't be able to get off the ship at Hellesylt?

Tendering is a pain in the butt! The ships excursions take priority and then independent travellers can go ashore so leave at least 1,5 hours after anchoring to get ashore. It may be sooner but likely not! Plead nicely and make a case to deck services and they may be sympathetic towards you esp if you have an excursion booked!

I did not try to disembark in Hellesylt and not sure if they check you have an excursion ticket before you disembark. Considering tendering in Geiranger is such a pain, I would like to get off at H and take a regular ferry along the fjord to G.

I don't know how many ships are in the port, tethering sounds a pain alright! We were lucky on our last cruise, we were docked at all the ports. Thanks, I will have to have a think about what's best to do now!