Kenai float tours - Cooper Landing

lmkucala

We are staying 1 night in Cooper Landing as a stopover between Palmer and Homer. Planning to spens most of the day along Turnagain Arm, dinner in Girdwood then head to Kenai Princess Lodge.

I'm wondering how the float tours on the Kenai River are and whether it may be worthwhile to do this either that evening or in the early morning before heading to Homer. How is scenery? Wildlife?

It will be 1st week of July in case that makes a difference. We will only be in Homer 2 nights so want to make sure we have plenty of time there as well.

Although I have not done this trip, I have researched it extensively because I have planned a float trip on the Kenai for my May 2017 pre-cruise tour. I found the Trip Advisor ap very helpful. (or the website if you prefer). It gave basic information, reviews, as well as websites and emails for most of the vendors. They are listed under a couple of different options since many of the river float operators also offer fishing guide services. I found the feedback very helpful. Also, I contacted a couple of different vendors and picked the one I wanted to go with based on their communication back with me. If coupons are important, check the TourSaver and Northern Lights books (you can look at the coupons they have online). I believe there are two companies that offer float trips on the Kenai that have coupons available. I'm not sure if they are for specific days or have blackout dates. You'd have to check with the vendor. One thing I learned was that you will need to let the vendor know you plan to book with a coupon before you book to avoid any confusion or refusal of coupon later. Hope this helps your planning.:)

Although I have not done this trip, I have researched it extensively because I have planned a float trip on the Kenai for my May 2017 pre-cruise tour. I found the Trip Advisor ap very helpful. (or the website if you prefer). It gave basic information, reviews, as well as websites and emails for most of the vendors. They are listed under a couple of different options since many of the river float operators also offer fishing guide services. I found the feedback very helpful. Also, I contacted a couple of different vendors and picked the one I wanted to go with based on their communication back with me. If coupons are important, check the TourSaver and Northern Lights books (you can look at the coupons they have online). I believe there are two companies that offer float trips on the Kenai that have coupons available. I'm not sure if they are for specific days or have blackout dates. You'd have to check with the vendor. One thing I learned was that you will need to let the vendor know you plan to book with a coupon before you book to avoid any confusion or refusal of coupon later. Hope this helps your planning.:)

Thanks - yes I've looked at Tripadvisor reviews and it seems they all get pretty good reviews, are about the same price, and offer pretty much the same thing. Do you mind if I ask who you ended up picking and why? I was looking at Kenai Riverdog who is rated very high but all of the reviews are from people who don't often post reviews so that always makes me wonder.

I've decided to book with Kenai Riverdog actually (and no, I'm not just saying that because you mentioned them first;)). The owner answered all my questions (which were many and included several back and forth emails), was very accommodating, and she was honest about what to expect or not considering my early date of travel. I also liked the fact that she concentrates on the river floats. Also, I believe she is a little more flexible about the times of the trips than some other vendors. The deciding factor for me was that some of the pictures of her rafts show backs on the seats which works better for us. However, I will let you know that she told me she has some newer rafts, so don't expect those cute hand-painted ones that are posted on Trip Advisor.

My advice is to contact two or three. Ask a LOT of questions, and you'll get a good vibe for what works for you.