La Romana - Buggy tour

mel-b

Hi all. We'll be in La Romana for a day on the Breeze. Has anyone done the buggy tour? Whether through the ship or an outside vendor? If so, what did you think? Was it worth it? Also, I've read there's a stop in a local village with the opportunity to provide items to the children. Did anyone do this?

Secondly, is anyone familiar with Pro Excursions? They offer a buggy tour and this would be going outside the ship excursion. I'm looking for individuals who chose this company. What did you think about them? Was it worth it? Seemless and easy to return to the ship?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually did the buggy tour with Pro Excursions two years ago and we LOVED it. When we got off the ship we went to the meeting pace where a taxi took us to Bayahibe where we start from. After we were checked in we went to the buggies at their ranch. along the way we were given information about the culture. When we got to the ranch we loaded up in our buggies and off we went. We went to the sugarcane fields, a Haitian village were we were able to donate items for the children. After that we went into the jungle to a river to rinse off before we went to the ranch house where we were given locally grown food to eat. After we headed back to the ranch and back to Bayahibe for a short time before going back to the port. The whole time we had a local photographer with us who got some amazing shots while we were driving through the mud. We ended up getting the disk for around $50 and it had close to 100 pics on it. We had an amazing day and want to go back there again. The staff was great and we always felt safe and they always had drinks for us. If you do decide on this tour I would advise taking a bandanna with you to keep the dirt out of your nose. We also had to rinse off/ shower about five times to get the mud of but it was completely worth it.

I actually did the buggy tour with Pro Excursions two years ago and we LOVED it. When we got off the ship we went to the meeting pace where a taxi took us to Bayahibe where we start from. After we were checked in we went to the buggies at their ranch. along the way we were given information about the culture. When we got to the ranch we loaded up in our buggies and off we went. We went to the sugarcane fields, a Haitian village were we were able to donate items for the children. After that we went into the jungle to a river to rinse off before we went to the ranch house where we were given locally grown food to eat. After we headed back to the ranch and back to Bayahibe for a short time before going back to the port. The whole time we had a local photographer with us who got some amazing shots while we were driving through the mud. We ended up getting the disk for around $50 and it had close to 100 pics on it. We had an amazing day and want to go back there again. The staff was great and we always felt safe and they always had drinks for us. If you do decide on this tour I would advise taking a bandanna with you to keep the dirt out of your nose. We also had to rinse off/ shower about five times to get the mud of but it was completely worth it.

Thank you for responding! THIS is what I was looking for! Carnival offers a buggy excursion through the ship, but the minimum age is 8. Our son is 7. I will need to inquire with Pro Excursions if they have a minimum age. I hope not as I think this will be a good experience for us as a family, and for my son especially.

Did you bring items to donate to the children in the village and if so, what did you bring?

We didn't bring anything with us but before we go to the village the guide let's us know that if we want to donate towards the rice and beans that the company buys we are able to. Everyone chipped in and we had extra to buy moon pie/ oatmeal pie snacks for the kids. Was a great experience. Also we wore old tennis shoes that we could toss out after and brought flip flops with us.. there was no saving the shoes or socks after.

We didn't bring anything with us but before we go to the village the guide let's us know that if we want to donate towards the rice and beans that the company buys we are able to. Everyone chipped in and we had extra to buy moon pie/ oatmeal pie snacks for the kids. Was a great experience. Also we wore old tennis shoes that we could toss out after and brought flip flops with us.. there was no saving the shoes or socks after.

Thanks so much for your help! Pro Excursions was very prompt in returning my email, and I plan to book with them for the buggy tour. Good idea about the old tennis shoes. Sounds like a muddy good time!!