Cruising Celebrity or Norwegian with grandkids

dist2ms

We (70's) are planning to take our 4 grandkids to Bermuda. They range in ages 7-14. There are two lines which leave from the desired area, Celebrity Summit and the Norweigan Breakaway. We have been on the Summit several times and always enjoyed. However, we want the kids to have a great time and wondering if the Summit could provide this. I'm sure they would like the Breakaway, but I don't think we would. Has anyone had a kid experience on Celebrity or should I book the other?

Does anthem have 7 day itineraries or only 5 days? It would be great, but I wouldn't want a shorter trip! For kids that age range I would do breakaway. Tons of fun stuff for them on the 3 sea days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anthem have 7 day itineraries or only 5 days? It would be great, but I wouldn't want a shorter trip! For kids that age range I would do breakaway. Tons of fun stuff for them on the 3 sea days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No 7 day itineraries unfortunately. [emoji20]

Mostly, I prefer smaller ships. We are also quiet and don't participate in most of the shipboard activities especially around the pool. I want the kids to have a great time preferably in a camp like setting when we are aboard.

Celebrity is much more of a country club cruise, more formal, not as many kids. NCL and RCCL are much more suited for kids, much more for the kids to do, good kid's program.

How often did you see kids on the Summit? We also prefer smaller ships but did have a good time on RCCL's Freedom with 4,000 passengers and we never sit around the pools. You can't say YOU won't enjoy a big ship! You will and I know the kids will.

We (70's) are planning to take our 4 grandkids to Bermuda. They range in ages 7-14. There are two lines which leave from the desired area, Celebrity Summit and the Norweigan Breakaway. We have been on the Summit several times and always enjoyed. However, we want the kids to have a great time and wondering if the Summit could provide this. I'm sure they would like the Breakaway, but I don't think we would. Has anyone had a kid experience on Celebrity or should I book the other?

Here is your dilemma in a nut shell - are you going on the cruise for you or for the grand children. If it is for you then you go on Celebrity, if it is for the grandchildren then you take NCL.

The problem with NCL is that there are going to literally be over 1000 people under the age of 18 running all over the ship. They don't necessarily do anything bad, but they occupy the elevators, they turn the pool areas into mad houses and generally act like kids. If you can adapt to that environment then go NCL.

Celebrity will have kids, just not as many, but there still should be plenty to do to keep your grandchildren occupied.

Again remember it's a summer cruise so there will be more families and kids on the Summit than normal. I was on the Summit in March of last year and it was Canada's March break so there were plenty of kids on board. The ones I saw seemed to be having a great time.

You could have the best of both worlds by booking a cabin in the Haven on Norwegian Breakaway. Your grand kids could enjoy playing with the other kids at the main pool, water slides and rock climbing wall and you can escape to the Haven complex which is very much isolated from the more crowded and noisy areas of the ship.

Having been on both types of ships, the Breakaway is the right one for your grandkids and for you, The Haven is the place to be. It is like being on a private yacht - I actually like the Haven better than Celebrity.

Breakaway has a 2 bedroom family Villa with 2 bathrooms and a living room/dining room plus balcony. 2 kids in the second bedroom, 2 kids on the sofa in the living room. NCL has a great children's program and you will like the fact that the Haven is a secured concierge floor with its own restaurant and bar and swimming pool and hot tubs - so it will be easier to keep track of the kids when they are with you since the pool is right outside of your suite. Of course, you get butler service with your suite - the kids can order any food they want from any venue that is currently open, however many kids love the massive and very comprehensive buffet.

Of course, there is tons for the kids to do onboard.

For you, in addition to the Haven, while the kids are at the kids clubs, there is a great spa onboard that is adults only. You can buy a spa pass online. It has heated tile loungers, a thalisotherapy pool with a water circuit, aromatherapy steam room, sanarium and dry sauna and hot tub and salt room (great for asthma.) It is a very relaxing area and is located at the front of the ship, so it has great views of the ocean and ports. We go to the spa everyday on these ships, so it is well worth it for us.

The Haven Restaurant is great, but there is a specialty restaurant onboard that is wonderful for families called Teppanyaki - which is sort of like Benihana. If you have grandkids in growth spurts eating incredible amounts of food, then they might also enjoy Moderno. I would expect your grandkids would also love to see "Burn the Floor" and Cirque Dreams Jungle Fantasy show. NCL also shows at least 1 3D family movie in the theater as well as several family movies during the week. In addition to all there is for your grandkids, with the major water slides (5 of them), water park, kids clubs, ropes course, spider climb, bungee trampoline, bowling, mini golf, rock climbing and sports court and arcade, I think your grandkids will have an awesome time and I know you will have an awesome time in the Haven. Honestly, the Haven is a step up from anything you have experienced on Celebrity and I think you will be favorably impressed. Even the Haven suites are nicer and have better master bathrooms than any of the suites on Celebrity. Breakfast in the Haven restaurant is awesome. You can eat it in the restaurant or poolside in the Haven Courtyard. Lunch is also great in the Haven - although your grandkids will probably want to eat at O'Sheehan's at least once and also at Shanghai's Noodle bar and possibly at the sushi bar as well. In addition, there is a great steak house (Cagney's) and great French restaurant (Le Bistro) and an Italian restaurant (La Cucina). There are constantly things to do on this ship. In a lot of ways, the ship itself is a destination.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Mostly, I prefer smaller ships. We are also quiet and don't participate in most of the shipboard activities especially around the pool. I want the kids to have a great time preferably in a camp like setting when we are aboard.

Like others have said, is the trip for you or the grandkids? If it's the later, then NCL is the way to go. Celebrity Summit is an older ship that wasn't built to cater to families. NCL has all the things kids love and will keep them occupied. And if you book Haven, then you're needs are covered too.