Mystic Mountain on our own

waiting2retire

Is it easy/possible/safe to take a taxi from the port in Ocho Rios to Mystic Mountain? There are four of us, and we only want to do the zipline, so we want to get there before the ship's tours and go straight to the zipline first. Also, the ship's tour says it is a 7 hour tour and we don't want to spend 7 hours on a tour for this. I understand that we can buy tickets there, go up the aerial tram, zipline and come right back down again. I don't see any reason to book a tour operator for transportation only if taxis are available to take us and bring us back to the ship when we are done.

Comments?

yes you can

the taxi will be silly expensive given MM is less than a mile away, but that's the way it goes . . .

IME you will be paying for a round trip taxi ride so agree on a pick up time ..... at DUNNS the taxi 'dispatcher' knows you paid for RT and if your driver does not show up they just put you in a different car and away you go ... no charge but a tip is appreciated. (don't blame the drop off driver for the other guy not showing up . . .)

{IME all the taxi drivers are tour operators . . . . .}

What I came to understand when I was thinking about doing this last year was the park is owned in part by Carnival or it's parent company. They have some interest in it. Anyway, they subsidize the cruise lines to book excursions & charge walk ins an arm & a leg.

Your experience may be different but I was being quoted about $89 pp for the park & Dunns River from my cruise line but $125 just to go to the park if I wanted to DIY.

Thanks for the responses. I did see somewhere on the boards that the property was built and is maintained by Carnival Corporation, which is the reason for the shocking fact that it is actually cheaper to take the ship's tour. We will have to weigh whether the cost savings is worth standing in long lines with the rest of the ship's tour and having to stay for 7 hours! Maybe we could just let the tour operator know we are going to take a cab back when we have had enough

Capt_BJ, could you hazard a guess as to how much "silly expensive" would be for a taxi?

Edited by waiting2retire