Platinum Laundry?

arjay9

Hi Everyone,

In February I'll be on an 11-night cruise, my first as a Platinum member. :D I'm wondering, given the duration of the cruise will the free laundry option be offered once or twice? Also, is it on a specific day, or any day that I choose?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi Everyone,

In February I'll be on an 11-night cruise, my first as a Platinum member. :D I'm wondering, given the duration of the cruise will the free laundry option be offered once or twice? Also, is it on a specific day, or any day that I choose?

Thanks in advance :)

The laundry perk is one free bag special PER CRUISE. On our 16 day cruise we still only got one bag free each.

We have always chosen which day we want, simply printing PLATINUM on the laundry bag.

Edited by NMLady

The laundry perk is one free bag special PER CRUISE. On our 16 day cruise we still only got one bag free each.

We have always chosen which day we want, simply printing PLATINUM on the laundry bag.

Thanks for your quick response :) I'll pack accordingly :)

Hi Everyone, In February I'll be on an 11-night cruise, my first as a Platinum member. :D I'm wondering, given the duration of the cruise will the free laundry option be offered once or twice? Also, is it on a specific day, or any day that I choose?

If you are on your own just 1(officially). Talk to your steward!!

Be careful with your choice of day. If you do it on a day when the "special" is offered it will take longer to go through the system.

Mike

Keep in mind that they will put little tags on each piece of laundry that are virtually impossible to get off.

"little" = "very small" and sometimes darned hard to find. We actually found on when we were home about 6 weeks later!!

Mike

On our Panama Canal cruise last March during the Behind the Scene Tour the head of the department said we could have 2 each. We actually came home with one suitcase of clean clothes. As far as the little tag, they are just a reminder of the good time we had while wearing that particular clothing. It is a great benefit, but I wouldn't put in your expensive clothing. I don't have to worry about that.

"little" = "very small" and sometimes darned hard to find. We actually found on when we were home about 6 weeks later!!

Mike

Just found one yesterday from our Alaska cruise this past June. :) First time I was one was after we returned home from our first platinum cruise. Took me awhile to figure out what it was. :D

Correct. However, if there are two Platinum members in the cabin you will get one free bag per person. On our 14 day cruise we used one bag for me the first 7 days and the other free bag from my SIL who was in my cabin for the 2nd 7 days.

Harriet

Correct. However, if there are two Platinum members in the cabin you will get one free bag per person. On our 14 day cruise we used one bag for me the first 7 days and the other free bag from my SIL who was in my cabin for the 2nd 7 days.

Harriet

We did Quebec-Boston-Quebec booked as a 14 day cruise; both of us were Platinum. Had we wanted we could have had 4 loads; 2 people and 2 cruises.

We always take cruises of at least 10 days. We always do laundry twice, and sometimes it is three bags during the cruise. We just write platinum on the bag. We have never been charged for the third bag.

Maybe, but that's something I wouldn't do as I know it's only one bag per platinum member and don't like breaking rules or taking advantage.

Harriet

If you are on your own just 1(officially). Talk to your steward!!

Be careful with your choice of day. If you do it on a day when the "special" is offered it will take longer to go through the system.

Mike

Hi

We are both platinum but have never used this facility however we are doing a b3b next year so could someone tell me does it come back ironed

Thanks in advance

Harriet

I didn't realize that! WOOHOO! 2 bags next trip!

We always take cruises of at least 10 days. We always do laundry twice, and sometimes it is three bags during the cruise. We just write platinum on the bag. We have never been charged for the third bag.

You are lucky. We had a 16 day cruise and had three nights pre-cruise for a total of 19 days. We used my Platinum laundry perk, my husband's platinum laundry perk and later I did a 3rd one and wrote Platinum on the bag. Although there was no charge for it on our final bill it was charged later on our credit card.

It was worth it to us though to have clean clothes for a post-cruise stay.

I am curious. About a month ago I asked on this site about the laundry benefit as I have just reached platinum regarding water temperature and whether or not cold water items are separated from warm. Dom many replies that I received , the answer was that everything is washed in hot. So, although I do not have a designer wardrobe by any means, the majority of my clothes do not recommend hot water wash. The only things that work for this are my white socks; hardly worth sending out. Please advise how you benefit from this perk as the vast of my clothes, and presumably most other cruisers need warm or cold water.

Thanks,

Sharon

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'll be Platinum, but the other person in the cabin won't be. I'll pack as if we will only get one bag, but I'll check in with our room steward when we first board, and hopefully we will get two.

I'll try to remember to update this thread after the cruise to let you all know how it went.

Here's a proven tip we've used, ask the RS for a pillow case and use that as a liner by placing it inside the paper laundry bag - so that it will not break as you wanted to roll, squeeze & stuff as much as you can into that bag - whether it's the Platinum freebie or the weekly specials on board for everyone, in case you need to do a 2nd. wash and pay the "nominal" charges for it (any available OBC can be used to offset it) - it was $27 per bag then, and apparently, price dropped (shocking against the trend :eek: :D ) to a recent low of $20 only (subject to change with & without notice, of course)

You can do the Plantinum laundry free on any day - just alert your friendly RS and hand it to her/him in the morning, as it can be quickly returned to you by the next day (usually, as I recall) - itemize it & do a count, even though they will put the ID/name tag on it. Had we need to pay for it on a piece-by-piece basis, it would've come to almost $100 or at least $20 to $27 for the "big" load we did - see picture here, we managed (2 oversized cotton pullover) to put it thru https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150328_1108.jpg

For longer and B2B sailing, they will typically run the weekly bag specials twice, spaced about a week apart. Do your plantium one(s) first (we get 2 of them, DW has hers and I got mine, although we usually only do 1 big bag ... packing & always traveling light) - then, wait for the bag special by the latter part of the cruise on the specific day, and pay for the special only then (who knows, maybe they will do a 2nd. one "free" - unlikely, but one can wish for it) Your RS will/should know the day coming up for the offer - ask nicely & you'll know ahead.

Delicate items and quick dry ones - we do those in the bathroom sink & let it air dry - pack 2 or 3 packets of Woolite in the checked bags and/or laundry powder & wash it by hand - checkout the brand called "Ex-Officio" at outdoor sportswear store, socks & underwear that wash & dry quick, a bit pricey but worth it.

Edited by mking8288

Here's a proven tip we've used, ask the RS for a pillow case and use that as a liner by placing it inside the paper laundry bag - so that it will not break as you wanted to roll, squeeze & stuff as much as you can into that bag - whether it's the Platinum freebie or the weekly specials on board for everyone, in case you need to do a 2nd. wash and pay the "nominal" charges for it (any available OBC can be used to offset it) - it was $27 per bag then, and apparently, price dropped (shocking against the trend :eek: :D ) to a recent low of $20 only (subject to change with & without notice, of course)

You can do the Plantinum laundry free on any day - just alert your friendly RS and hand it to her/him in the morning, as it can be quickly returned to you by the next day (usually, as I recall) - itemize it & do a count, even though they will put the ID/name tag on it. Had we need to pay for it on a piece-by-piece basis, it would've come to almost $100 or at least $20 to $27 for the "big" load we did - see picture here, we managed (2 oversized cotton pullover) to put it thru https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150328_1108.jpg

For longer and B2B sailing, they will typically run the weekly bag specials twice, spaced about a week apart. Do your plantium one(s) first (we get 2 of them, DW has hers and I got mine, although we usually only do 1 big bag ... packing & always traveling light) - then, wait for the bag special by the latter part of the cruise on the specific day, and pay for the special only then (who knows, maybe they will do a 2nd. one "free" - unlikely, but one can wish for it) Your RS will/should know the day coming up for the offer - ask nicely & you'll know ahead.

Delicate items and quick dry ones - we do those in the bathroom sink & let it air dry - pack 2 or 3 packets of Woolite in the checked bags and/or laundry powder & wash it by hand - checkout the brand called "Ex-Officio" at outdoor sportswear store, socks & underwear that wash & dry quick, a bit pricey but worth it.

Ohhh, I love your pillowcase trick! What a great idea :) Thanks for all the info!

Keep in mind that they will put little tags on each piece of laundry that are virtually impossible to get off.

Actually, that is no longer the case. They leave an edge up and with just a little umph, it comes off.

I, too, would avoid laundry special days on a 7 day 😉

Did you notice any of your clothing that shrunk (especially the cotton pullovers)? I worry about the heat from the dryers. I never put cotton items in our dryer at home - I always hang them outside on our clothesline but on a ship (if you don't have balcony) it's little tricky.