Canadian Dollar

k39jkr

With the canadian dollar at a 12 year low I am wondering if anyone has any tips regarding savings on RCI (Oasis in particular). A few months ago I saw a thread about buying OBC before you leave at a much better exchange rate- does anyone know if this is still the case and how to go about it? I've noticed that the exchange rate on my cruise planner is better for drink packages by about $3 per day as of yesterday so I'm purchasing that before we leave in April if this is still the case then and hoping for more tips!

With the canadian dollar at a 12 year low I am wondering if anyone has any tips regarding savings on RCI (Oasis in particular). A few months ago I saw a thread about buying OBC before you leave at a much better exchange rate- does anyone know if this is still the case and how to go about it? I've noticed that the exchange rate on my cruise planner is better for drink packages by about $3 per day as of yesterday so I'm purchasing that before we leave in April if this is still the case then and hoping for more tips!

The OBC offer is no longer available.

Check your cruise planner. Many of the items are still listed at a 30% premium as opposed to buying them on board in US$ and ultimately paying a 40% premium.

Get a credit card that does not charge foreign exchange fees.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Yes, sadly the ability for Canadians to buy on board credit at a 10% exchange rate seems to have ended last week :(

One small thing worth checking would be - presuming you booked your cruise in Canadian dollars - to ask your travel agent if you can prepay your gratuities, and at what price. In that case it gets added to your invoice, that's due on final payment date (usually around 70 days before sailing). There's some unconfirmed reports that prepaid gratuities are charged by Royal Caribbean at the exchange rate in effect on the day you may your booking and put down your deposit...it you booked your cruise a year ago or more, that may be close to par!

Also, as suggested, a credit card that doesn't charge a currency conversion fee is a good idea (most charge 2.5% on top of the exchange rate)...I recommend the Marriott Rewards Visa from Chase...it has an annual fee, but is waived for the first year, and also offers some free hotel nights and Marriott Rewards points.

If you are already invested in a premium card with points and all, you can get an Amazon.ca Visa issued by Chase bank. No annual fee, and NO foreign currency transaction fee.

I already have a BMO World Elite Mastercard (Since Costco takes MasterCard...) that I collect travel rewards with, so I was not interested in getting another Premium card, but the free Amazon.ca Visa with no transaction fees was good for us.

dp

Edited by dpostman