Hampton Inn vs. Hilton Garden, Dania

luvscruising2007

Not sure why the HGI wouldn't get good reviews. I don't see much bad said about it on here (not a lot does get said about it actually). It's set back from the main road, on a court near a couple Hyatt's and a Springhill Suites and is 6 or 7 years newer than the Hampton. The Hampton is jammed in with the adjacent Quality Inn and Suites (maybe the same owner?), I think a little too close if you happen to have a room on the west side. The Hampton pool is right beside the Quality Pool. The Hampton is a shorter walk to shopping and eating and has the benefit of already being on the south side of Stirling Rd, which can be dangerous to cross, even at the lights. (and its an even shorter walk if there still is access from the back of the parking lot into Oakwood Plaza, but I don't know if there still is or not).

For those of you familiar with Dania, which of these hotels is more desirable? They seem to be comparable. However, Hilton Garden does not get consistently good reviews. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I travel for work - a LOT. Enough that I am at always at the top of the points level for both Marriott and Hilton. I don't know anything specific about these two properties, but I prefer the Hilton Gardens to the Hampton Inn:

Hampton Inn: I have found the rooms to be clean an comfortable, with one king or two double beds, a desk, TV, small fridge, decent sized bathroom and closet. Free breakfast is served every morning. Hot food usually includes some kind of scrambled eggs or small omelets, bacon or sausage or ham, potatoes. Make your own waffles. Toaster with bread/bagels/English Muffins with butter/peanut butter/jelly for spreads. Oatmeal and a selection of cold cereal. Fruit and yogurt. Coffee, tea, fruit juice, milk. Solid, filling, no frills.

Hamptons do not have a bar, usually.

Hilton Garden Inn - a step above the Hampton Inn luxury-wise. Linens/furniture typically higher quality. Clean, comfortable rooms as above. They typically have a bar, and they serve breakfast and dinner, and have room service. Breakfast is not free: but they do have eggs to order, along with all the stuff I listed above. If you are a Hilton Honors member and have a high enough status you can opt for extra points when you stay or free breakfast. I prefer the HGI due to the amenities, but they are typically more expensive than Hampton Inn.

I travel for work - a LOT. Enough that I am at always at the top of the points level for both Marriott and Hilton. I don't know anything specific about these two properties, but I prefer the Hilton Gardens to the Hampton Inn:

Hampton Inn: I have found the rooms to be clean an comfortable, with one king or two double beds, a desk, TV, small fridge, decent sized bathroom and closet. Free breakfast is served every morning. Hot food usually includes some kind of scrambled eggs or small omelets, bacon or sausage or ham, potatoes. Make your own waffles. Toaster with bread/bagels/English Muffins with butter/peanut butter/jelly for spreads. Oatmeal and a selection of cold cereal. Fruit and yogurt. Coffee, tea, fruit juice, milk. Solid, filling, no frills.

Hilton Garden Inn - a step above the Hampton Inn luxury-wise. Linens/furniture typically higher quality. Clean, comfortable rooms as above. They typically have a bar, and they serve breakfast and dinner, and have room service. Breakfast is not free: but they do have eggs to order, along with all the stuff I listed above. If you are a Hilton Honors member and have a high enough status you can opt for extra points when you stay or free breakfast. I prefer the HGI due to the amenities, but they are typically more expensive than Hampton Inn.

An excellent summary of the two franchises:);)

Thank you for such a complete comparison. I am now more confident in our choice.

I travel for work - a LOT. Enough that I am at always at the top of the points level for both Marriott and Hilton. I don't know anything specific about these two properties, but I prefer the Hilton Gardens to the Hampton Inn...

I also thought that jcjrsmith did an excellent job in comparing and contrasting the two brands.

We've stayed at the Dania Hilton Garden. In April 2014 we flew down to Ft. Lauderdale a few days early prior to a cruise. We stayed there the first night and drove to Orlando for a few days before returning to Ft. Lauderdale. It was so nice to check into the hotel and drop off the luggage before returning the rental car to the airport. My husband just used their airport shuttle to return to the property. Since we then didn't have a rental car it was great to have dinner at the property. A number of folks from that cruise roll call were also staying there and we had organized transport to the cruise port the next day.

In 2014 both rooms were in excellent condition and the staff was friendly. The rooms were quiet. Worked out well.

But our favorite Ft. Lauderdale area hotel is actually the Riverside. Has been our favorite for a number of years, and most likely will continue to be our favorite in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
Is HGI in a safe area to walk to restaurants and shopping in daylight?

Yes, it's fine to walk around the area in daylight. Just be aware of the busy traffic crossing Stirling Rd. There is a light at the corner, but the intersection is busy with traffic turning into and out of the plaza.

Edited by DanJ

• 2 months later...
For those of you familiar with Dania, which of these hotels is more desirable? They seem to be comparable. However, Hilton Garden does not get consistently good reviews. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Looking forward to your review!

Edited by Tobleronebar