Alaska in late Sept

skippycruises

We cruise Alaska twice a year and go at various times.

Alaska can be a crap shoot. We have had really good weather in September and sometimes it is a little cool. This can also apply to May and June also. July and August are really the best months for weather but I wouldn't not go in September.

Go and have a nice cruise. One of the advantages of going late in September is that they have a lot of end of season sales.

I love Alaska in September...

The weather is variable and the seas have a better chance of being rougher, but the salmon are spawning, the ports aren't as crowded and the leaves on the trees are starting to turn.

Go and enjoy your adventure!

We just returned from a two-week repositioning cruise, the first week (Sept.16-23) in Alaska (Ketchican, Juneau, Skagway, Sitka, and Hubbard Glacier.) I went with heavy sweaters, my waterproof jacket, waterproof hiking boots, earmuffs, gloves, and umbrella (translation: pessimist!) I used all of those items...but not often. It did rain in Ketchican, of course, but it varied from slight drizzle to brief downpour alternating with sun. That was the only real rain we saw.

What we did get, however, was some rough sea...a day or so...not sure whether this was attributable to the time of year or just bad timing on our part. We also had some fog which obscured scenery....mostly in the morning. I didn't find any of this a major problem. We had a bright, sunny day in Juneau. In Skagway, we rented a car and drove over to Carcross and Emerald Lake in the Yukon. Leaving Skagway it was damp and foggy, but once we crossed the Canadian border, everything cleared up. The rest of the day was great, and the scenery was spectacular with the changing colors. We had a beautiful day to view Hubbard Glacier and a great sunny day in Sitka. All in all, the weather turned out much better than I expected.

Everyone we talked to on the ship seemed pleased with the excursions they had taken....whether ship excursions or independent. There was a lot of whale activity. We took an all-day boat trip in Juneau which was primarily a trip up Tracy Arm to Sawyer Glacier, but saw lots of humpback whales and an orca up close and personal. There were also a lot of whale sightings from the ship on this trip.

Are you crazy for doing Alaska late in September? You have answered your own question: it is the only time you can go...so I say go and have a good time. I certainly enjoyed my trip. No one can guarantee the weather or animal sightings or specific excursions no matter what time of year you go. Alaska has much to offer all seasons.

I have a different take, this last sailing has the potential for the worse weather of the season. They used to be "give away" sailings, I went twice for less than $500pp, at that price very worth it. But now the discounts are way less. On the Inside Passage, it will be dusk by 7pm, ave. temps 40-50, ave 3 days of rain. There is really no comparism to earlier weeks as the weather just drops off very quickly. Usually the salmon runs are over or at the tail end, with the exception of Haines. Bear watching tours and glacier dog sledding over. But most everything else fully available.

Is it worth it??? Most certainly yes with being well prepared in your attire and tour planning. Good chances of Northern Lights- scope out a dark section of the ship in advance, the decks under the bridge are especially good. If a priority- check out the Fairbanks U predictions DAILY at their geophysical site. You need clear dark nights.

Just wanted to know (honestly) if we're crazy for doing Alaska Sept 22 of next year?! This was the only time we could go... Thanks:D

Is Alaska in September better than Alaska in July? Probably not (although it is much less crowded).

Is Alaska in September better than no Alaska at all? Darn right it is! WE just returned from a 12-nighter (9/2-9/15) and it was fantastic (see my online diary at http://vquill.com/alaska05/). WE've been in April, early July and now in September - and all three were great cruises.

If you can go in early July when there's 20+ hours of sunlight, then do so. But if you can only go in September, then do it and you'll enjoy it.

Alaska in Sept. is MAGNIFICENT. One year we flew up Aug. 28 and rented a car for three weeks, used the marine system to get to Sitka, Juneau, Skagway and Haines and it was beautiful everywhere......only had one day of rain (and that was in the Yukon!) and learned that the tundra changes color as do our leaves in the fall...............it was SO beautiful.:) :)

Besides all these pluses, tourist shops have amazing sales............we got tons of things in Juneau at 90% OFF because they didn't want to store them over the winter!

Only once did we need heavy jackets.............it was lovely.

ENJOY!!!;)

You never know what it's going to be like. Growing up in the area I can remember the high on July 4 being 52 degrees one year and in the 80's in late September. Is that the norm? No, it's not. On the other hand, I'm no person to ask about an Alaskan cruise. Being a "native" of the Pacific Northwest I can't tell you how far down the list of "have to do cruises" an Alaskan cruise is for us. Still have to check off Mexican West Coast, Fiji, Hawaii, the Med, South America, Asia....... :) Have a great cruise!

Archived