Explosion in Istanbul

What are others doing relative to cruises scheduled to stop in Turkey, particularly in light of some lines cancelling stops there altogether?

We've booked on a Pacific Princess cruise with a 2-day stop in Istanbul, which we'd really like to see...but are anticipating Princess doing a port substitution.

Thoughts?

What are others doing relative to cruises scheduled to stop in Turkey, particularly in light of some lines cancelling stops there altogether?

We've booked on a Pacific Princess cruise with a 2-day stop in Istanbul, which we'd really like to see...but are anticipating Princess doing a port substitution.

Thoughts?

Follow the link given in #24. That is what the subsequent posts were commenting about.

Yes, I've also found the British lines do not seem to cancel out of an "abundance of caution" (as one mass market line put it) but rather wait and take a measured approach based on what their FOC advise. I mostly sail with Voyages to Antiquity and have also been on Swan Hellenic. A few years ago I was on a VTA cruise at the same time that my parents were on a HAL cruise, both with similar itineraries. HAL pulled the two Tunisian ports due to nothing more than some very isolated activity at the south end of the country, nowhere near the port cities. The VTA cruise did not cancel.... :rolleyes:

I suspect the mass market lines with mostly US customers have to make the changes though, as US passengers are extraordinarily risk averse and often seem not to have a great grasp of the geographies involved.

I also wonder if the American lines are a bit more wary of potential legal claims by anyone who suffers problems in ports. The lines carrying Brits could always say they followed FOC advice, so could not be expected to forsee any problems which would probably be accepted by our courts as reasonable.

Someone on the Regent thread suggested they would presumably cancel Paris if it was a port! I can see the point - there are so many risky places in the world now if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, including the US and London.

Edited by tring

Thoughts?

Susan,

I am also booked on a Princess ship; namely the Royal Princess in September. Since this is a B2B cruise, we have 3 scheduled port stops in Turkey. My hope is that Princess will make a decision soon so we know what, if anything they plan to do. Maybe their decision is, we are not going to do anything and continue on as usual. I happen to live in S. California and who in the world ever thought it would be unsafe in San Bernadino, CA. at the beginning of December. It is not like Paris or New York or London. We just never know where or when there will be terrorist issues. Each person has to decide for themselves the potential risk and consequences for themselves.