Dubia 6/2 Musica

marina pirates

Hi can anyone give me any information. Going on this trip soon and there doesnt seen to be any reviews. There are some on the Musica and there terrible. Has anyone been on any excurisons around the emirates? MSC have lots but as there expensive would be gratefull for any info/tips. Thanks so much.

Dutchbunny has just posted a comprehensive account of their recent sailing as a thread, so have a read at that.

I know the Musica well and have sailed 4 times in the Arabian Gulf with Costa and apart from one seaplane small group trip that I booked via the ship, all my other trips ashore were DIY.

Taxis are plentiful, reliable, safe, regulated, metered and incredibly cheap in the USE, so it s a great way of getting around. They're not metered in Oman and you have to negotiate a price. The ones at the port gates are much more expensive than ones you pick up else where.

Have you got any idea what you fancy doing and I may be able to help you with some ideas how to do it. If not got a clue, use MSC shores trips for an idea of some options and also check on the ports of call section.

I sailed the Musica from Venice to Dubai in November/December and had a fantastic cruise. I should probably write a review, but the ship seemed in great condition (no out of service areas or bad wear & tear). The bar staff is top notch, way more attentive than Carnival or Celebrity. The dining room staff was more hit or miss, but we were in Aurea so we asked for different servers to mix things up.

The shore excursions were well organized and met my expectations, no complaints there either, and the prices for those were cheaper onboard than prebooking - something to keep in mind although it isn't a guarantee of course. I don't know your exact itinerary but there's a lot to do in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, plenty to see in Muscat but it's expensive; and not much to do in Khor Fakkah or Salalah if those are on your trip. I would recommend not bothering with the Big Bus in Dubai though - I wasn't impressed with the commentary and with the traffic you are better off taking some taxis or public transit even if you want to go to the places on the list. An all-day bus/subway pass is only about $5 USD.

We had a lot of concerns based on the CC ratings but I didn't agree at all with the reviews. I think some of it has to do with it not feeling like a typical American-based cruise line, but that was a part of the appeal to my wife and I.

Edited by Gig103

Thanks for you advice, feel better about the trip. I booked the 2 weeks cruise only nearly a year ago and paid around a thousand each. Wasn't happy to see msc selling the same grade cabin now for 249 a week ! Lesson learnt not always good to book in advanced. I booked flights separate. Any idea how much it is in a taxi from airport to cruise terminal? And do u have to agree a price ? Or is it better to book a transfer? Also when leaving are there taxis outside ship to return ? Will it be same price? One last think on excursions I would like to see Atlantis/ Auqarium also would love to go in the 7 star hotel Burj al Arab. Msc do a day trip it's 155 pounds each! Bit expensive does include some food/ high tea or lunch. Any ideas? Thanks so much

I booked flights separate. Any idea how much it is in a taxi from airport to cruise terminal? And do u have to agree a price ? Or is it better to book a transfer? Also when leaving are there taxis outside ship to return ? Will it be same price? One last think on excursions I would like to see Atlantis/ Auqarium also would love to go in the 7 star hotel Burj al Arab. Msc do a day trip it's 155 pounds each! Bit expensive does include some food/ high tea or lunch. Any ideas? Thanks so much

Taxis are metered in Dubai so you do not have to agree on the price. Make sure that you have a metered taxi. Have a look at this site to check the prices: http://dubai-taxi.com/dubai-taxi-corp/taxi-fares

When we were in Dubai there were taxis at the port all the time.

Concerning dinner or lunch at the Burj al Arab I would suggest looking at their own website to check out the prices. It is not cheap! But this can also be arranged by yourself. Just book a table and get a taxi.

You will have a great time, we too are just back from the Musica, our first time on MSC and loved it. It was much more like an 'American' cruise line than I expected, it felt a lot less 'Italian ' than the Costa cruises we have done. The staff were great, ship modern and well maintained and the food was good. I don't know where the bad reviews have come from!

We didn't do any ship excursions, we have been to the area before and knew that taxis are reliable and cheap. Khor al Fakan and Kasab are not really tourist towns and there is not much to do if you have not pre planned. We just got off the ship and walked around for a couple of hours.

I don't know about the excursion to the Burj but if you don't do it with them you will have to book afternoon tea or dinner to see it. You cannot just go over to have a look at the hotel without a reservation. During a previous trip to Dubai DH surprised me with an overnight stay there for my birthday, it's not cheap but well worth the experience!

Thank you for info , how lucky staying overnight at that hotel. How was it ? The MSC excursion including afternoon tea is 125 half day and 155 full day with lunch. this also includes other places. Afternoon tea direct with hotel is 99 ! so maybe the excursion isnt all that expensive. Not sure what to do as going 2 weeks and other trips and also drinks package. It all adds up ! Do you remember what the room service menu was like ? As we have it included in the premium drinks package.

We only ordered breakfast from room service which was just continental, cereal, pastries, fruit etc. I did look at the daytime menu but can't remember exactly what was on it, I think snack things like pizza, burger, sandwiches and maybe salads. We just had the standard Allegrissimo package which didn't include room service but I think the premium also includes drinks from the mini bar.

The Burj is amazing, like nowhere else I've ever been, to me its worth the price just to experience it!

Julie

There are loads of taxis at both the port and airport.get one of the beige coloured ones (roof colours all different but that doesn't matter). Don't be tempted to get one of the fancier cars as they cost a lot more.

You cannot visit the Burj al Arab without a reservation for something, they won't let you cross the causeway otherwise. You need to show them your booking confirmation. I did the afternoon tea and it was nice, not that I managed all 7 courses! You don't get to walk around to see it, just the entry, bit of the mezzanine and wherever you are booked into. Whether it is worth it, depends on you. I've done it and once was enough. There are good afternoon teas elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.

You could book a day pass direct with Atlantis and grab a taxi there and back. Seriously they are as cheap as chips. It is very difficult to rack up an expensive fare.

If you want to go up the Burj Khalifa, book in advance online now as it is significantly cheaper. The fountain show is great in the evening. Restaurants with a view come with a price. The Thiptara (Thai) in the Palace Downton is the best but expensive. You could watch for free bynthe lakeside.

Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi does not have the same restrictions as the Burj al Arab. You can wander around almost anywhere except out on the private beach. I booked lunch there in their Lebanese restaurant but you can just go for a gold leaf cappuccino! You'd a need to book for afternoon tea. It is a lovely building and a very short taxi ride from Marina Mall.

Do not miss the Grand Mosque whilst in Abu Dhabi- it is phenomenal. You also get a fab view from she Shangri La's private beach and you can get a day pass to use the beach and pool.

Thanks so much all very interesting information. Will have to decide what to do in D ubia , lots to chose from! One question about the day pass to that beach club in Abu Dhabi , is in far to get to in a taxi from the port ? How do you book the pass? Thanks again

Thanks so much all very interesting information. Will have to decide what to do in D ubia , lots to chose from! One question about the day pass to that beach club in Abu Dhabi , is in far to get to in a taxi from the port ? How do you book the pass? Thanks again

I just emailed them. You go to the beach concierge hut when you arrive and they will sort out payment, su beds, towels, cooler of water etc. They even send someone around to clean your sunglasses. There are bathrooms between the beach and infinity pool area and they have showers there. There is also a Souq attached and you can walk through it from the hotel or jump on an ABTA style boat that takes you there (or you can just chill by the pool or beach all day).

Taxi would be about 20 minutes. It is very close to the Mosque. You could visit it first and then hop in another taxi a wee bit down the road and then across the bridge.

I've Laos arranged a day pass at the Shangri La in Muscat. It is out at Barr al Jissah. Beautiful resort with 3 hotels in one, several pools, beach etc. They have a more organise pass thingy that comes with a buffet lunch included in the price and a discount on their Chi Spa. Love the Frankincense and Rose wrap!

However if it is your first visit, might as well have a walk along the lovely Corniche and visit the big indoor Souk which is walking distance from the port gates.

Thanks so much, I really fancy doing that, can you remember the charge ? I will email them . Ship have a organised one to jaz beach club, have you heard of it ? Thank you , really looking forward to the trip

The Oman one might have beenOMR40 but I really can't remember for sure.

Haven't sailed MSC in the Hulf, just Vosta. They also had beach club days which were more expensive that making your own arrangements plus you got to pick where you went and weren't accompanied by another 40 or more doing the same thing. MSC may actually say where they go and what is included, Costa tended to be a bit coy about it. Most ships' excursions are offered by local agencies so often they are similar regardless of the cruise line.

Dutchbunny has just posted a comprehensive account of their recent sailing as a thread, so have a read at that.

I know the Musica well and have sailed 4 times in the Arabian Gulf with Costa and apart from one seaplane small group trip that I booked via the ship, all my other trips ashore were DIY.

Taxis are plentiful, reliable, safe, regulated, metered and incredibly cheap in the USE, so it s a great way of getting around. They're not metered in Oman and you have to negotiate a price. The ones at the port gates are much more expensive than ones you pick up else where.

Have you got any idea what you fancy doing and I may be able to help you with some ideas how to do it. If not got a clue, use MSC shores trips for an idea of some options and also check on the ports of call section.

Hello There AmoMondo - do you remember me (Suzanne). You were so kind in giving me such a lot of useful tips when I first went out to Dubai. It looks as if I will be doing a fourth cruise around the Emirates. Plans in hand for 17th December 2016 on MSC Fantasia. Stephen and the family joined me on Orchestra last February (their first cruise). They loved it and are keen to repeat the itinerary to see things they missed first time around. Stephen is going to book my concessionary flight in the next few days (Business Class with Emirates at the staff rate of £480!). I will stay in Dubai for a month in total.

If others on this roll call want to get an idea of what to see and do on a cruise from Dubai then check out my reviews (RCI on Serenade of the Seas in Feb 2013, MSC on Lirica in Feb 2014 and February 2015 on MSC Orchestra)

You will love the experience of the UAE and I hope all your plans go well.

Regards

Suzanne

Hello There AmoMondo - do you remember me (Suzanne). You were so kind in giving me such a lot of useful tips when I first went out to Dubai. It looks as if I will be doing a fourth cruise around the Emirates. Plans in hand for 17th December 2016 on MSC Fantasia. Stephen and the family joined me on Orchestra last February (their first cruise). They loved it and are keen to repeat the itinerary to see things they missed first time around. Stephen is going to book my concessionary flight in the next few days (Business Class with Emirates at the staff rate of £480!). I will stay in Dubai for a month in total.

If others on this roll call want to get an idea of what to see and do on a cruise from Dubai then check out my reviews (RCI on Serenade of the Seas in Feb 2013, MSC on Lirica in Feb 2014 and February 2015 on MSC Orchestra)

You will love the experience of the UAE and I hope all your plans go well.

Regards

Suzanne

I most certainly do remember you Suzanne and it was a pleasure helping you.

Glad to hear you've another ripped planned. I really enjoy going to The UAE too. Was there in December at the end of a trip to Australia and I will be back this December at the end of a repositioning cruise.

I most certainly do remember you Suzanne and it was a pleasure helping you.

Glad to hear you've another ripped planned. I really enjoy going to The UAE too. Was there in December at the end of a trip to Australia and I will be back this December at the end of a repositioning cruise.

How about staying on in Dubai and joining me on MSC Fantasia on 17th Dec (?)or will you be back early in Dec. Hope your plans for 2016 go well.

Kind regards

Suzanne

How about staying on in Dubai and joining me on MSC Fantasia on 17th Dec (?)or will you be back early in Dec. Hope your plans for 2016 go well.

Kind regards

Suzanne

That would have been lovely but I shall ne still enroute on your start cate. I'm not due to arrive until 21 December. Although it looks my cruise is being cancelled and a friend has been booked on to an alternative that arrives 2 days earlier. I'm still waiting to find out what they're going to offer me.

One of these days we will be in the USE at the same time and we can perhaps meet up.

Mairi

Edited by AmoMondo

That would have been lovely but I shall ne still enroute on your start cate. I'm not due to arrive until 21 December. Although it looks my cruise is being cancelled and a friend has been booked on to an alternative that arrives 2 days earlier. I'm still waiting to find out what they're going to offer me.

One of these days we will be in the USE at the same time and we can perhaps meet up.

Mairi

Sorry to hear your cruise is being cancelled. Let's hope they offer you an acceptable alternative. Yes, there may be a time when our paths will cross and we can meet. Hope things get sorted for you.

Suzanne

You will have a great time, we too are just back from the Musica, our first time on MSC and loved it. It was much more like an 'American' cruise line than I expected, it felt a lot less 'Italian ' than the Costa cruises we have done. The staff were great, ship modern and well maintained and the food was good. I don't know where the bad reviews have come from!

We didn't do any ship excursions, we have been to the area before and knew that taxis are reliable and cheap. Khor al Fakan and Kasab are not really tourist towns and there is not much to do if you have not pre planned. We just got off the ship and walked around for a couple of hours.

I don't know about the excursion to the Burj but if you don't do it with them you will have to book afternoon tea or dinner to see it. You cannot just go over to have a look at the hotel without a reservation. During a previous trip to Dubai DH surprised me with an overnight stay there for my birthday, it's not cheap but well worth the experience!

Have done the Emirates cruise three times in all and there are still lots of things to see and do at each port. Lucky to have a son and his family who are based in Dubai with his job so visit there often.

When we docked in Khasab we took a Dolphin Watch Cruise which we had pre-booked with Khourshem Tours. It was a great experience and excellent value at 139 Dirhams per person.

In Khor al Fakkan (where there is not a lot to see or do via the ship's tours)

we took the shuttle bus to the port gates and there boarded the free shuttle bus to the Oceania Hotel where we had a lovely relaxing day using all the hotel facilities - pool and beach and an eat as much as you like buffet lunch was included all for 90Dirhams (about £20).

Hope your plans go well. You will, I am sure, love the Emirates.

Suzanne

Sorry to hear your cruise is being cancelled. Let's hope they offer you an acceptable alternative. Yes, there may be a time when our paths will cross and we can meet. Hope things get sorted for you.

Suzanne

Thanks Suzanne.

It's all sorted, departs a day earlier from Savona instead of Venice but now also includes Abu Dhabi before ending up in Dubai on 19 & 20 December. Waiting to find out if they will let me off early on 18th in Abu Dhabi so I can get the direct Etihad flight back home. If they don't I can book their coach from Dubai to AUH.