Snorkeling Eden Rock, Sunset House, with 6 and 8yo?

coloradosmom

Kids are beginners and probably only interested in seeing fish as opposed to coral. They are good swimmers. We will need to rent gear.

Is Eden or Sunset House good for them or should we go to Rackams and go off their ladder? If I knew for sure that Sunset House would let us use their pool, we would probably go there.

Realistically, they will be over it in about an hour. We would go to a beach but everything I've read says there isn't any good snorkeling.

Thanks!

can not promise Sunset House will be cool with pool use ... but IME they always were. I've seen one report where use was denied .... my OPINION is attitude makes a BIG difference and asking about using the pool AFTER spending a few dollars goes a LONG way. (AFTER renting snorkel gear .. or during the process: "can the kids use the pool to check the gear out and get comfortable with it ....." "is it OK if we take these drinks to the pool?" .... "is it OK if the kids use the pool while we enjoy a couple more CayBrews?")

Make no doubt, snorkeling at Eden or Sunset House is "big boy pants" snorkeling. The water is too deep for standing up ....

One advantage of Sunset over Eden is the 'sea pool'. This is an area cut into the shoreline with an access out to the ocean. It offers a more controlled entry point to get comfortable in a semi protected space. Then, when you are ready you can swim out the opening to the open water. In this shot of the Sunset property you see the sea pool at the top of the picture, above the "pool"

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg

There is some beach snorkeling at Smith's Cove (a lil south of Sunset) and Cemetery Beach (part of 7 mile), but no gear rentals . . .

I presume the basis of the question is trying to DIY and save some $? Cuz most any snorkel tour is gonna be geared to beginners and provide equipment .... and wanting to see fish vs coral has stingray city written all over it ...

p.s. the ONLY way I'd let a 6 and 8 pair snorkel in any of these spots would be with a GOOD SWIMMER parent along and everyone wearing safety vests and knew how to use them.

comments of a 35 year experience life guard

Edited by Capt_BJ

Capt. BJ,

I was hoping that you would be the one to reply. I've spent lots of time reading thru your posts! You are a great contributor!

It's not so much about the $, as that we just aren't into the group tours and we'd rather do our own thing. Also, getting up early to catch an excursion is kind of a bummer.

Having said that, if you think stingray city is the ticket, we'll do it but mostly just looking for a fun hour or two with the kiddies and then some cocktails for us parents. We live in Florida, so beaches really aren't a priority. If the kids were older I would be all over Sunset House but I feel like it might be too much for them.

Thanks for your thoughts!

I think Capt BJ is spot on with his information and I don't really think it would be the best snorkeling for two young kids.

Another idea is closer to port at Paradise Grill. You can rent gear and while it's not beach (similar to Sunset) there is an easy set of steps into the water. The kids can snorkel close to shore where there is plenty to see, including the huge tarpon that they feed, and if Mom or Dad wants to snorkel out to the reef, it's there, just a bit of a swim. The shoreline has plenty of shallow snorkel areas that will give them plenty to look at.

The Paradise Grill has decent food and drinks, is situated on the water and it's a great place to hang out for a while after a snorkel. (Not as nice as Sunset, but for the kids this might be a better snorkel option). I guarantee they will enjoy watching and swimming with the Tarpon right there.

Stingray City.... hands down the best thing for kids who are interested in the ocean and fish.

I have a video:

I too would recommend the stingray city with kids on the smallest tour boat I could find. My kids loved it when they were young.

Personally love Sunset House and the ocean pool for entry but often the water is pretty choppy for snorkeling once outside the pool area.

Edited by monicajay