Turkey tourist attacks today!

bp traveler

Istanbul is on the opposite side of the country from Izmir. Sort of like something happening in Miami and cancelling a stop in NYC. If there is an escalation or if something happens closer to Izmir, then yes, I would think they would change that stop. But right now what is happening is happening on the other side of the country which borders Syria.

Major Cruise lines in recent times have been super cautious and it would not surprise me that Turkey would be cancelled.

Izmir may be far away from Istanbul but it is actually coser to Syria and as events in Tunsia have taught us that Beach/holiday locations are a target. Even if the cruise lines do not cancel immediately reactions from worried US cruisers in particular may make them reschedule.

It is a shame because Turkey is wonderful.

US bombs the money house for ISIS.

ISIS attacks the money maker for Turkey.

Tit for tat.

We'll see where this goes but I too think there a real possibility cruise lines eliminate the Turkey ports. They did last year and that was before Turkey had any major attacks.

It's still more dangerous to drive to the airport (at least for me) but regardless it still makes it hard for companies to overcome fear.

I sure hope they don't cancel Izmir.It is fascinating and one of the reasons I booked this cruise for my family.When I booked I was disappointed that Istanbul was not one of the ports.After this latest bombing I am glad it wasn't included. My DH and I were walking exactly in the place where the bombing took place a few years ago.What a shame as Turkey relies heavily on the tourist dollar.I love Turkey and the kind and helpful Turkey people.So very sad.

This is too bad. I originally booked the Vista and then switched to a cruise on NCL. I'm now probably going to cancel and switch back to the Vista as long as Carnival doesn't cancel the port.

I may just have to make Turkey a land portion of the trip.

Here's another one: Aida (German) Cruise lines just announced they are dropping the Eastern Med for 2016 and will now go to the Western Med.

I had not heard about a bombing in Izmir. Can you please supply your source for this information. Thank you.

Here is one article from July 2015: http://www.trtworld.com/turkey/bomb-explodes-front-ak-party-office-turkeys-izmir-5021 The terrorist group, PKK bombed 2 locations (one was a bus full of civilians) in western Izmir.

The same terrorist group, the PKK, planned a bombing in Izmir in November 2015 but were stopped before anything happened: http://www.dailysabah.com/nation/2015/11/10/3-pkk-terrorists-nabbed-before-alleged-bombed-attack-in-izmir

A simple google search found these articles.

Edited by goldesq

Here is one article from July 2015: http://www.trtworld.com/turkey/bomb-explodes-front-ak-party-office-turkeys-izmir-5021 The terrorist group, PKK bombed 2 locations (one was a bus full of civilians) in western Izmir.

The same terrorist group, the PKK, planned a bombing in Izmir in November 2015 but were stopped before anything happened: http://www.dailysabah.com/nation/2015/11/10/3-pkk-terrorists-nabbed-before-alleged-bombed-attack-in-izmir

A simple google search found these articles.

This is all true but the PKK is fighting Turkey and ISIS and not tourists. I supposed a tourist could get caugt up in the middle but to date I don't believe its happened. At least statistically, you're far worse getting caught in the middle of Chicago crossfire than Izmir.

This is all true but the PKK is fighting Turkey and ISIS and not tourists. I supposed a tourist could get caugt up in the middle but to date I don't believe its happened. At least statistically, you're far worse getting caught in the middle of Chicago crossfire than Izmir.

Except scoobyfish asked for proof via news articles in response to YOUR post about bombings in Izmir. I merely responded with articles showing there have been bombings in Izmir. One of the bombings involved civilians.

I am going in 3 months to Izmir via a cruise and these bombings are not stopping me.

My friend cruised in Sept. thru Istanbul on a different cruise line that canceled their over nights in Istanbul only, but did dock their as for the day. She felt safe in Istanbul.

As Carnival is going to Izmir, which is no where near either Syria or Istanbul, there should be no issue. There is violence worldwide, much of it never makes the news. You can choose to live in a bubble and never travel for the fear of something that may happen, or you can travel the world, be mindful of where you are going as a tourist. Educate yourself on the places you plan to visit as to their culture and respect their culture and their way of life. If you do plan to go to Turkey, please be mindful that tank tops and shorts are not "acceptable" clothing options in some locations. Also, women should plan to have a scarf with you in case you go to religious site to cover your head (if you don't they have "reusable" scarfs available which I personally would not want to use.

Istanbul is on the opposite side of the country from Izmir.

That's not really the case, both Istanbul and Izmir are in the western 1/4 of the country, about 200 miles apart. Syria is on Turkey's southern border, 500+ miles from both Istanbul and Izmir. (Which is of course no guarantee those cities are 100% safe)

Edited by Earthworm Jim