Bringing Soda, Water, Iron etc. on board?

nycruiser1975

Irons are consider a fire hazard, if they find it in your luggage, they will set your luggage aside. Having your luggage set aside is a real drag on your first day onboard, as you wait for your luggage to arrive, and it won't until you go see security.

You can bring sodas onboard, but the drinking water onboard cruise ships is probably cleaner and better than the bottled water you buy ashore. I wouldn't waste luggage space for bottled water.

Just last week I walked in with a travel size iron in my carry on backpack along with water and sodas and had no problem. Irons are a fire hazard so if you do bring one it is just safe to make sure you place it in a safe place after use. We left ours out in the open and the cabin stewards never said anything about it.

Just last week I walked in with a travel size iron in my carry on backpack along with water and sodas and had no problem. Irons are a fire hazard so if you do bring one it is just safe to make sure you place it in a safe place after use. We left ours out in the open and the cabin stewards never said anything about it.
I used to always bring a travel iron and sometimes even used it. And while I've never seen them confiscated, nycruiser1975, as a new cruiser you should know that the official word from every cruise line is that you can't bring them. Fires onboard ships are the number one hazzard. Just be aware and think about safety and how much you really want to iron. I've stopped bringing one with me and I've never had an ironing emergency. ;) One option could be a travel steamer or bringing a spray bottle of Downy Wrinkle Releaser.

As for soda and water...no worries there. But as others have said, the water systems on ships are amazing. I wouldn't worry about bringing water. Soda is something I would bring if I was a big soda drinker. They're expensive on the ship!

I definitely plan to bring soda onboard, since the cruiselines haven't figured out that quite a few of us want caffeine-free diet sodas. Also I prefer my diet sodas sweetened with Splenda not nutrasweet, I am sure it will be 15 years before they catch on to carrying those!.

Does anyone know if it is okay to bring an iron on board the spirit. Also, if the room does not have refrigerator can you request one and is there a charge. Will they allow water and soda to be brought on board. Sorry for all the questions, I am a newbie:confused:

Does anyone know if it is okay to bring an iron on board the spirit. Also, if the room does not have refrigerator can you request one and is there a charge. Will they allow water and soda to be brought on board. Sorry for all the questions, I am a newbie:confused:

First of all, don't hesitate to ask questions. That's what CC is all about.

Irons should not be brought onboard. They are considered fire hazards. A steamer is allowed. Or try using Downey Wrinkle Release.

I've never heard of requesting a refrigerator. If it's ice that you want, your room steward will make sure that you have an ample supply of ice.

No problem bringing water and/or soda onboard.

Irons are not allowed on ships, since fire is the biggest hazzard at sea. If there isn't a refridge in the cabin I've never heard of them bringing in one...unless maybe it was required for storing medicine possibly. You can bring on water or soda.

I thank you so much for your help. Sorry for my stupidity. I am a newbie, Hopefully I will be wise like you guys soon:D . Another dumb question what is the difference between iron and steamer:confused: . Anything else a newbie should know like packing, what to expect, or what ever you want to tell me I welcome all advice:)

I thank you so much for your help. Sorry for my stupidity. I am a newbie, Hopefully I will be wise like you guys soon:D . Another dumb question what is the difference between iron and steamer:confused: . Anything else a newbie should know like packing, what to expect, or what ever you want to tell me I welcome all advice:)

nycruiser1975,

A steamer is a small device that you fill with water--when plugged in it heats the water and makes steam---hang your clothes up and gently run the steamer along the wrinkles. [be careful with silks, chiffons, etc.] You may have seen personnel in apparel shops and department stores using the large professional models of steamers to dewrinkle clothing before placing it in stock.

How one packs can reduce the need to iron or steam. I use pack-it envelopes and giant zip lock bags and carefully fold items that will wrinkle. I also take wrinkle resistent clothing. I rarely have to iron anything, but we do take a travel steamer and occasionally use that.

Any of the usual toiletries/meds/bandaids/sunscreen,etc. that you might need, remember to pack, as the cost in the ship's shop will be exorbitant. Ditto re: film.

Re: the refrigerator---you could take a collapsible rolling cooler and ask your cabin steward to keep it filled with ice for you so your sodas will be cold.

Agree with the binocular suggestion!

Have a great cruise!!

Here's a trick I've used before the days of travel steamers. I turn the hot water on in the shower, let the steam build up in the bathroom, take the clothing I want to dewrinkle, hang it on the bathrobe hook on the bathroom door, close the door and leave the clothing there for a few minutes. Take your clothing out, and the wrinkles are gone. Then there are the wrinkle release sprays on the market which seem to work as well. I'd just make sure you pack these spray bottles in a zip-lock bag. ;)

Here's a trick I've used before the days of travel steamers. I turn the hot water on in the shower, let the steam build up in the bathroom, take the clothing I want to dewrinkle, hang it on the bathrobe hook on the bathroom door, close the door and leave the clothing there for a few minutes. Take your clothing out, and the wrinkles are gone. Then there are the wrinkle release sprays on the market which seem to work as well. I'd just make sure you pack these spray bottles in a zip-lock bag. ;)

Good suggestions. On most of the ships, there's also a clothesline in the shower. You can hang your clothes there.

Where do you buy a steamer????

They usually have travel steamers in the luggage or travel sections of Wal-Mart, Target etc..You can also purchase one from Magellans.com, but they are more expensive than the local stores..I use either steamer or “Downey Wrinkle Remover” depending on the fabric...

NJ. Cruiser, we never leave home without our duct tape ...You can get “Flat Pack Duck Tape” (Yes it’s Duck with picture of duck on it) at Walmart... Comes in very handy..We used it on a large piece of luggage that was ripped by either the airline, cruise line or hotel at end of our trip when we were ready to take our flight home....Also used the repaired luggage several times before replacing it.. The duct tape comes in very handy..They even have a thread on another board that gives 100 ways to use it..LOL :)

I also do this, but don't style your hair first, the steam wrecks it lol

I too went through all of this recently on our first cruise.

I took the wrinkle release product, but did not even have to use that.

I did pack very carefully, using tissue paper on each item I was concerned about.

Lay the item flat, with a piece of tissue paper (gift wrap section of Wal-Mart, etc.) and fold the item carefully, removing as many wrinkles and folds as you can while folding.

Be sure to hang your garments as soon as possible after getting on board - most wrinkles will fall out by the time you are going to need the item.

My main suggestion would be to not over pack. Figure out what is really important to you. Try to only take one change of clothing for each day, plus whatever dressier items you will need for evening.

Camera, film, batteries, binoculars (small ones), extra glasses if you wear them, sun glasses, layering clothing, meds in their original bottles, Fabreeze to use as room freshner - never, never candles! :eek:, and a good sense of humor, and a desire to really, really have a wonderful time.

You will love the Spirit.

Happy Cruising :)

Archived