Sailing out of Bayonne NJ, Cape Liberty question?

JRA1708

We are sailing out of Bayonne NJ this May 2016, and are looking for a hotel close to the pier for one night prior to the cruise. We are driving from just North of pittsburgh, taking I80 the whole way.

I have sailed from Manhattan before and stayed at the Ramada Inn Newark, booked through Trinity. I would like a park and cruise deal, but I would also like to be in a better location. Does Jersey City offer park and cruise deals? A few years ago we stayed in jersey city right on the Hudson and it had a beautiful skyline of NYC. Or maybe we should just stay in Jersey City, then drive to the cruise port and park there for the duration. Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jodi

We are sailing out of Bayonne NJ this May 2016, and are looking for a hotel close to the pier for one night prior to the cruise. We are driving from just North of pittsburgh, taking I80 the whole way.

I have sailed from Manhattan before and stayed at the Ramada Inn Newark, booked through Trinity. I would like a park and cruise deal, but I would also like to be in a better location. Does Jersey City offer park and cruise deals? A few years ago we stayed in jersey city right on the Hudson and it had a beautiful skyline of NYC. Or maybe we should just stay in Jersey City, then drive to the cruise port and park there for the duration. Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jodi

No park/cruise options in Jersey City.

Are you on the 5 day Bermuda cruise or the 9 day Caribbean cruise? Parking at the port would be $100 or $180. What is your exact date? Jersey City hotels are more expensive, particularly Sun-Thur. Sometimes you can get deals on Hotwire on a weekend. However, if you want to run into NYC, it is easy to do from Jersey City.

Thanks for quick response...We are on the Celebrity Summit May 22-29th..its a bummer there is no park and cruise in Jersey City. I read there are a couple places to park near the cruise port that will shuttle you, and are way cheaper. What are your thoughts??

We have used Holiday Inn Express and Hilton Garden on Staten Island. Both were good. They share a shuttle to the pier and also pick you up when you return. The parking is included in your room rate. We paid about $185 about two years ago when we did our

B2B out of Bayonne and they kept our car for the full 14 days at no extra charge. I like the HIX better. They have a great breakfast included in the room rate. You do have to pay a bridge toll to get onto Staten Island but, in my opinion, it was still a great deal. Not sure if this would be out of your way for driving in, but just wanted to let you know we enjoyed out stay.

Thanks for quick response...We are on the Celebrity Summit May 22-29th..its a bummer there is no park and cruise in Jersey City. I read there are a couple places to park near the cruise port that will shuttle you, and are way cheaper. What are your thoughts??

We don't recommend the alternative parking near the Cruiseport because of insurance issues with the shuttle transportation. Many folks love it, but there have been a bunch of complaints as well. It's definitely a caveat emptor situation.

Thanks again...is it an easy drive from Jersey City to the Port? I see its roughly 7.5 miles, but 7 miles in the country and 7 miles in the city are two different things. Will GPS get me there? Do I reserve ahead of time to park there? Or just pay with credit card upon arrival? I googled it, but I'm not finding much info.

Thanks again...is it an easy drive from Jersey City to the Port? I see its roughly 7.5 miles, but 7 miles in the country and 7 miles in the city are two different things. Will GPS get me there? Do I reserve ahead of time to park there? Or just pay with credit card upon arrival? I googled it, but I'm not finding much info.

You just pull in and pay when you get there. No need for reservations. Don't even think they take reservations. Some people report trouble with GPS instructions. You can search this board and there are really good instructions on getting into the port area. I have not figured out how to do a link yet or I would do that for you. Just a little bit computer stupid yet.

If you stay in the Newport area, you are not far from I78, which is the access to both the Holland Tunnel and the NJ Turnpike. You take I78 west (NJ Turnpike) two exits to exit 14A, which is the port exit. Very easy.

Carol,

You seem VERY knowledgable about the area, so I will ask you...and please, if anyone else knows, jump in. I did book the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City. We plan to drive to the port from there in the morning. Since a GPS is not recommended, is there an alternate address that will get us pretty close to the cruise port, or a link with good directions. I googled it on google maps, and its say its only 7.5 miles from the Hyatt. That doesn't seem far, but if I don't know where I am going, it will seem like 50 miles. And with traffic, on a sunday morning, how long will it take to get there? Thanks again!

Jodi

We are on this cruise too!

LauraB23, are you as excited as we are?? It's our 1st cruise with Celebrity and 1st time to Bermuda.

We are very excited. This is our 3rd time on Celebrity and have done Summit to Bermuda each time. I love Bermuda.

Laura

We don't recommend the alternative parking near the Cruiseport because of insurance issues with the shuttle transportation. Many folks love it, but there have been a bunch of complaints as well. It's definitely a caveat emptor situation.

That's too bad since they raised the parking at Cape Liberty to $20 a day. When you take those 12 and 14 night cruises it adds up. Of course still much cheaper and easier than flying to get to a ship.

Carol,

You seem VERY knowledgable about the area, so I will ask you...and please, if anyone else knows, jump in. I did book the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City. We plan to drive to the port from there in the morning. Since a GPS is not recommended, is there an alternate address that will get us pretty close to the cruise port, or a link with good directions. I googled it on google maps, and its say its only 7.5 miles from the Hyatt. That doesn't seem far, but if I don't know where I am going, it will seem like 50 miles. And with traffic, on a sunday morning, how long will it take to get there? Thanks again!

Jodi

Sunday morning is the lowest traffic point of the week. You want to get on Christopher Columbus Drive and follow it to I78. As soon as you go under I78, you make a left and follow the service road until you reach the I78 west entrance ramp. Get off at exit 14A and follow the signs to route 440 south. This exit is under construction and the traffic patterns can change, so check back for updates just before you cruise. Once on route 440, you make a left at the first light and follow the cars two miles out to the pier.

It should take about 20 minutes.

• 1 year later...
If you stay in the Newport area, you are not far from I78, which is the access to both the Holland Tunnel and the NJ Turnpike. You take I78 west (NJ Turnpike) two exits to exit 14A, which is the port exit. Very easy.

Hi Carol,

Since you are so knowledgeable and helpful when talking cape liberty/jersey questions..... I'm still unsure of where to stay pre cruise for feb 19th anthem cruise ... here's what I have so far

rental car to be returned to EWR and then I need shuttle to hotel...

will need transportation to ship sunday morning.

post cruise I need a ride back to EWR to pick up another rental car to get back home.

Trinity is still in the picture and is the best value... however I have two teens with me and I"d like to be in an area with something to do once we arrive Saturday early afternoon. we may take a train into NY, not sure, just want to have some options close by and not be kind of stuck in a hotel with two teens...

I've found ramada in jersey city and it looks fun... they have shuttle from EWR, so I would need taxi or uber to get to port and then from port back to airport, I may be willing to do that. Keeping a rental car at the cruise terminal just does not justify the $140 parking fee for a car to just sit there, since i'm paying for the car rental each day it's sitting there just isn't feasible.

So in a nutshell, i'm looking for reasonable hotel with shuttle from airport with things to do in the area. and... do you know shuttle or taxi rates from port to airport? I know a lot of this information can be found on here, but sometimes you have to spend hours looking for it and believe me, I've spent days in hours researching this....

I think your on anthem before me,? Have you ever sailed on her? We are very much looking forward to our cruise, have never been on Anthem. Last cruise was on Oasis and it was fabulous! I'm planning on nothing less than fabulous on Anthem as well...

Thank you for all your help.. It might be easier to email me at kjgmoyer@hotmail. This is the only way I know to reach you and sometimes I have a difficult time navigating thru posts and such.

Have a fabulous cruise and let us know how great it was....

Karen

Hi Carol,

Since you are so knowledgeable and helpful when talking cape liberty/jersey questions..... I'm still unsure of where to stay pre cruise for feb 19th anthem cruise ... here's what I have so far

rental car to be returned to EWR and then I need shuttle to hotel...

will need transportation to ship sunday morning.

post cruise I need a ride back to EWR to pick up another rental car to get back home.

Trinity is still in the picture and is the best value... however I have two teens with me and I"d like to be in an area with something to do once we arrive Saturday early afternoon. we may take a train into NY, not sure, just want to have some options close by and not be kind of stuck in a hotel with two teens...

I've found ramada in jersey city and it looks fun... they have shuttle from EWR, so I would need taxi or uber to get to port and then from port back to airport, I may be willing to do that. Keeping a rental car at the cruise terminal just does not justify the $140 parking fee for a car to just sit there, since i'm paying for the car rental each day it's sitting there just isn't feasible.

So in a nutshell, i'm looking for reasonable hotel with shuttle from airport with things to do in the area. and... do you know shuttle or taxi rates from port to airport? I know a lot of this information can be found on here, but sometimes you have to spend hours looking for it and believe me, I've spent days in hours researching this....

I think your on anthem before me,? Have you ever sailed on her? We are very much looking forward to our cruise, have never been on Anthem. Last cruise was on Oasis and it was fabulous! I'm planning on nothing less than fabulous on Anthem as well...

Thank you for all your help.. It might be easier to email me at kjgmoyer@hotmail. This is the only way I know to reach you and sometimes I have a difficult time navigating thru posts and such.

Have a fabulous cruise and let us know how great it was....

Karen

You have mail.

I'm sorry to be a pain. Where Is mail? On here ? If so how do I get it ? If personal email I didn't receive it. I don't want to ignore your response I can't locate it. I'm so sorry.

No problem. Sent it again. I made a typo.