Gala Night - sample outfit

PhDUnderTheSea

You asked if the outfit is permissible. The answer is clearly yes.

The question you did not ask is would you feel underdressed in that outfit. That answer would have two components.

First, you should know that you would be among the most casually dressed at dinner. As stated, the vast majority of men will be in suit jackets, most with ties. Some will be in dinner jackets and tuxedos. Recent postings suggest that 75% of men - even on Caribbean cruises - have jackets, suits or formal wear.

Given that scenario, you then need to decide if you personally would feel comfortable in that situation, given that it is clearly the request of Holland America that people treat this night as less casual than other nights on board. Only you can make that call.

Edited by JPH814

A somewhat related question for anyone who has recent experience since the change in formal/gala night designation.

Has anyone received an invitation to dinner with the Captain and, if so, what was the wording? Ours from a few years ago clearly spelled out "Dress Code Formal". I agree that the Op's interpretation of the new dress code is correct, a bit borderline but still correct. I feel that a Captain's Table would not look the same if only the Captain was dressed formally.

Depends on your definition of "is it ok"?

Does it meet the definition of the suggested dress? Yes. You wont have any issue being turned away from the dining room, this is perfectly acceptable.

Will most people be dressed similarly? No. Most other men will be wearing a jacket, or jacket and tie, and more of a dress shirt. That's not to say that *some* men onboard might be dressed in a similar style. Some will even be more casual.

1. So if you are asking the question - "Will this meet the dress code, thus avoiding any potential issues?" Yes, it does.

2. If you are asking the question - "Will I blend in with what most everyone else is wearing?" No.

Some people only care about the first question. I cant tell by your post which way you are asking, so there you have it.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

Some years ago I was a firm believer in formal nights - I usually wore a tuxedo and, when that was inconvenient (because of other associated travel), a dark suit. On our last cruise, last month, I wore a blazer over a polo shirt. Yes, over 1/2 the men wore jackets but those that didn't certainly didn't seem out of place. I find the picture posted much better than some of the shabby tuxes we've seen over the years.

Go with what makes you comfortable.

You asked if the outfit is permissible. The answer is clearly yes.

The question you did not ask is would you feel underdressed in that outfit. That answer would have two components.

First, you should know that you would be among the most casually dressed at dinner. As stated, the vast majority of men will be in suit jackets, most with ties. Some will be in dinner jackets and tuxedos. Recent postings suggest that 75% of men - even on Caribbean cruises - have jackets, suits or formal wear.

Given that scenario, you then need to decide if you personally would feel comfortable in that situation, given that it is clearly the request of Holland America that people treat this night as less casual than other nights on board. Only you can make that call.

Unless they are issuing me an award or I am making a presentation, I really am not worried about it.

I was hoping to be a part of a table of 4 - 8, but if meeting HAL's requirements is an issue for other guests I will ask for a private table.

Best-

Steve

On our 11 night Caribbean cruise in Dec most of the guys had on jackets and ties. I think it will take a bit of time to get the word out about the new dress code that only requires a collar shirt and slacks.

"Required" indicates a minimum standard, with the emphasis on minimum. What's so bad about spiffing up a couple times on a cruise instead of making it a contest on how casual you can dress and get away with it.

"Required" indicates a minimum standard, with the emphasis on minimum. What's so bad about spiffing up a couple times on a cruise instead of making it a contest on how casual you can dress and get away with it.

For another viewpoint, here's your reply, just adjusted:

"Required" indicates a minimum standard. People can spiff up a couple times on a cruise if they would like, but if the cruise line states they need at least a certain standard and it can be accommodated, why does it seem to matter?

What's so bad about spiffing up a couple times on a cruise instead of making it a contest on how casual you can dress and get away with it.

Nothing. If that is what you prefer, go ahead. You can even do it on any and all evenings. If you are comfortable and happy, I encourage you to do so.

I resent your comment that this is a contest to see how casual I can get away with. It seemed prudent to me to ask here for a reassurance on the interpretation of the current dress code. Isn't asking to be sure one is in line with a standard the very opposite of seeing what you can "get away with"?

People say HAL's words on this are clear. I say not by a country mile. Apparently "Gala" is not much of anything at all inside the dining room, and nothing at all outside of the dining room, but HAL will lead you to believe otherwise if you read their advertising.

I work in a very demanding profession and have many, many obligations on my time and those require either a business suite or tuxedos as well on occasion. Pauses in that time are something I value greatly and I want to relax in comfort. In fact, I want to avoid anything resembling a work atmosphere when I am vacationing.

My purpose here was to avoid any issues with staff onboard; to avoid any potential hassles. I'm quite confident in my own being and while I appreciate some bringing up that I may feel underdressed or uncomfortable around others, I do not think that will be the case.

Best-

Steve

For another viewpoint, here's your reply, just adjusted:

"Required" indicates a minimum standard. People can spiff up a couple times on a cruise if they would like, but if the cruise line states they need at least a certain standard and it can be accommodated, why does it seem to matter?

Touche'. I get it. I worked in a suit and tie for most of my career, wishing for a more casual work environment. However, I still look forward to dressing up and taking St. Jean (my friends awarded her sainthood) somewhere nice, like Gala Night on a cruise. Thank God my tux isn't shabby.

Edited by blizzardboy

Touche'. I get it. I worked in a suit and tie for most of my career, wishing for a more casual work environment. However, I still look forward to dressing up and taking St. Jean (my friends awarded her sainthood) somewhere nice, like Gala Night on a cruise. Thank God my tux isn't shabby.

We will both be accommodated and have a great meal! Enjoy!

Best-

Steve

Depends on your definition of "is it ok"?

Does it meet the definition of the suggested dress? Yes. You wont have any issue being turned away from the dining room, this is perfectly acceptable.

Will most people be dressed similarly? No. Most other men will be wearing a jacket, or jacket and tie, and more of a dress shirt. That's not to say that *some* men onboard might be dressed in a similar style. Some will even be more casual.

1. So if you are asking the question - "Will this meet the dress code, thus avoiding any potential issues?" Yes, it does.

2. If you are asking the question - "Will I blend in with what most everyone else is wearing?" No.

Some people only care about the first question. I cant tell by your post which way you are asking, so there you have it.

You have provided a very diplomatic answer to the OP's question. I tend to kick the hornet's nest. I own an almost identical outfit, but I too think it is more appropriate for a non-Gala night, however, PHDUnderTheSea probably looks a lot better in it than I do.

As I pointed out in my prior post on this thread, this will come down to an ongoing discussion between the formal and informal crowd. Well, mainly the formal crowd. The informal crowd just mostly ignores it.

HAL has set the new guidelines. As long as we meet or exceed them we're good to go.

On our last two cruises there was a healthy mix of suits/jackets and no jackets with a few tuxs. I did not hear any whispering from anyone because they did not fit in, or were undressed for occasion. ;)

Minimum is fine with me. I want to enjoy my cruise and playing dress up is not.

Dan

Nothing. If that is what you prefer, go ahead. You can even do it on any and all evenings. If you are comfortable and happy, I encourage you to do so.

I resent your comment that this is a contest to see how casual I can get away with. It seemed prudent to me to ask here for a reassurance on the interpretation of the current dress code. Isn't asking to be sure one is in line with a standard the very opposite of seeing what you can "get away with"?

People say HAL's words on this are clear. I say not by a country mile. Apparently "Gala" is not much of anything at all inside the dining room, and nothing at all outside of the dining room, but HAL will lead you to believe otherwise if you read their advertising.

I work in a very demanding profession and have many, many obligations on my time and those require either a business suite or tuxedos as well on occasion. Pauses in that time are something I value greatly and I want to relax in comfort. In fact, I want to avoid anything resembling a work atmosphere when I am vacationing.

My purpose here was to avoid any issues with staff onboard; to avoid any potential hassles. I'm quite confident in my own being and while I appreciate some bringing up that I may feel underdressed or uncomfortable around others, I do not think that will be the case.

Best-

Steve

I fail to see that Hal minimum requirement is not clear. The minimum is a collared shirt and pants. I'm not sure what is unclear about that. I don't understand the whole "I've dressed up for years statement", I have too. It doesn't have any bearing on how I dress for vacation. I don't know what the harm is in saying "I'm more of a casual person" instead of trying to justify it. It's totally not necessary. If you don't want to wear a suit then don't.

Edited by cruz chic

I fail to see that Hal minimum requirement is not clear. The minimum is a collared shirt and pants. I'm not sure what is unclear about that. I don't understand the whole "I've dressed up for years statement", I have too. It doesn't have any bearing on how I dress for vacation. I don't know what the harm is in saying "I'm more of a casual person" instead of trying to justify it. It's totally not necessary. If you don't want to wear a suit then don't.

I agree that the minimum requirement is clear. But i believe that the wishes of HAL are not clearly expressed.

If someone could ask the " powers that be" at HAL "what do you think a gentleman should wear in the MDR on gala night?" what would they say? According to the description on the website? Is it khakis and a golf shirt? Is it a tux? Is it somewhere in between? Is it "we don't give a sh•t"?

That is what is unclear.

If someone could ask the " powers that be" at HAL "what do you think a gentleman should wear in the MDR on gala night?" what would they say?
I'd buy tickets to that! It would be interesting to watch them hem and haw and try to find a way to avoid answering.

They are trying to be all things to all people and avoid making a definitive statement. So they talk about "dress to impress," and suggest a suit for gentlemen. This is meant to please people who like formal night and like to see everyone dressed up. Then they say long pants and collared shirt are "required." This minimum is meant to please the people who don't want to dress up and prefer to be casual. They haven't quite gone to "anything goes," because shorts and jeans are not allowed in the MDR on Gala evenings.

(sorry about partial quote, I'm having trouble getting the quote to appear so i did a cut and paste)

I'd buy tickets to that! It would be interesting to watch them hem and haw and try to find a way to avoid answering.

They are trying to be all things to all people and avoid making a definitive statement. So they talk about "dress to impress," and suggest a suit for gentlemen. This is meant to please people who like formal night and like to see everyone dressed up. Then they say long pants and collared shirt are "required." This minimum is meant to please the people who don't want to dress up and prefer to be casual. They haven't quite gone to "anything goes," because shorts and jeans are not allowed in the MDR on Gala evenings.

(sorry about partial quote, I'm having trouble getting the quote to appear so i did a cut and paste)

That's it in a nutshell, trying to be everything to everyone.

A somewhat related question for anyone who has recent experience since the change in formal/gala night designation.

Has anyone received an invitation to dinner with the Captain and, if so, what was the wording? Ours from a few years ago clearly spelled out "Dress Code Formal". I agree that the Op's interpretation of the new dress code is correct, a bit borderline but still correct. I feel that a Captain's Table would not look the same if only the Captain was dressed formally.

Pete and Judy posted their invitation to the Captain's Dinner on their blog of the World Cruise, and the wording is "this evening's dress: Jacket and tie are appropriate". However, the photos of the first Captain's dinner on Jeff's blog shows the men in tuxes and ladies in their formal night finery.

Edited by Lizzie68

That outfit meets the description. But even my non fashion conscious husband thought that that look is a tiny bit out of line for the night. :) On our westerdam cruise in November we saw someone wearing something similar (although the print was sharks)... he still jokes around saying "I could wear sharks to dinner? I didn't know that was an option! " He's fine wearing just a little more dressy look. Out second night I wasn't doing so well physically so we dressed down. This was our definition of dressing down and he fit in with the majority of the room. Dark shirt with no tie, but still wearing his suit pants and jacket.

70694b8627138dc3c915925a400a0e32.jpg

Unless they are issuing me an award or I am making a presentation, I really am not worried about it.

I was hoping to be a part of a table of 4 - 8, but if meeting HAL's requirements is an issue for other guests I will ask for a private table.

Best-

Steve

It is very possible that some of your tablemates would find your more casual attire to be an issue, judging from many of the comments on this topic. Some will not care but others will feel that they put a little more effort into dressing up and wish that others did the same.

Pete and Judy posted their invitation to the Captain's Dinner on their blog of the World Cruise, and the wording is "this evening's dress: Jacket and tie are appropriate". However, the photos of the first Captain's dinner on Jeff's blog shows the men in tuxes and ladies in their formal night finery.

Thank you Lizzie. Nice to see!

Well, guess we won't be having dinner with the Captain. Not worth having to pack a jacket and a tie let alone a tuxes.

I don't believe it. We have never seen the "vast majority" of men on HAL in suit jackets and tie.

OP, your dress plans are perfect for the Caribbean. HAL is not requiring jackets and tie any longer.

Edited by Jade13

It is very possible that some of your tablemates would find your more casual attire to be an issue, judging from many of the comments on this topic. Some will not care but others will feel that they put a little more effort into dressing up and wish that others did the same.

That's their problem, not Steve's.

I still see nothing Gala about Gala Night, just some folks (sellers and buyers, alike) holding on to an anachronistic concept that is well past its prime. Based on the limited menu choices and the apparent unavailability of "always available" items, it seems to be a cut below other nights in the MDR.

That's their problem, not Steve's.

I still see nothing Gala about Gala Night, just some folks (sellers and buyers, alike) holding on to an anachronistic concept that is well past its prime. Based on the limited menu choices and the apparent unavailability of "always available" items, it seems to be a cut below other nights in the MDR.

Agree. We are so done with formal nights. HAL doesn't do anything special. They didn't even cover the chairs on our last cruise.