Gala Night - sample outfit

PhDUnderTheSea

I don't believe it. We have never seen the "vast majority" of men on HAL in suit jackets and tie.

OP, your dress plans are perfect for the Caribbean. HAL is not requiring jackets and tie any longer.

I was surprised at how dressed up people were on the eurodam in October. One of the gala nights I went to Canaletto which is as casual as it gets pretty much. I would say 90% of the people in there were dressed for the gala night. They certainly had no reason to do it.

I don't believe it. We have never seen the "vast majority" of men on HAL in suit jackets and tie.

OP, your dress plans are perfect for the Caribbean. HAL is not requiring jackets and tie any longer.

What you say is quite different than several others who posted their recent observations ( within the past four months) including recent caribbean cruises. Nor is it consistent with what i saw on the Oosterdam last summer.

Please do not tell others what to believe. State your opinion. Give your observation and let people decide for themselves. It appears the O P already has.

It is very possible that some of your tablemates would find your more casual attire to be an issue, judging from many of the comments on this topic. Some will not care but others will feel that they put a little more effort into dressing up and wish that others did the same.

Believe me, I'd request a table of my own for MY enjoyment, so that I don't have to listen to someone talk about how they "made a little more effort and wished others did too".

Interesting conversations about food, books, film, culture, ports of call, livelihoods that would not happen because others are too fast to judge a book by its cover. A mutual loss in that case; maybe. But it is not a job interview (and I am FAR past that stage).

Best-

Steve

I have, just this past fall, AFTER the change from "formal" to "gala." On a walk through the MDR (I made a complete circuit of the upper level on both gala nights), I saw only a few men not wearing jackets. Five or fewer. That's a pretty "vast" majority. Although I did see more people who were casually dressed around the ship, I still saw most people dressed according to HAL's "request" rather than the minimum.

That's their problem, not Steve's.

I still see nothing Gala about Gala Night, just some folks (sellers and buyers, alike) holding on to an anachronistic concept that is well past its prime. Based on the limited menu choices and the apparent unavailability of "always available" items, it seems to be a cut below other nights in the MDR.

Quite right, and with vigor!

Bring your partner; table for four.

Best-

Steve

What you say is quite different than several others who posted their recent observations ( within the past four months) including recent caribbean cruises. Nor is it consistent with what i saw on the Oosterdam last summer.

Please do not tell others what to believe. State your opinion. Give your observation and let people decide for themselves. It appears the O P already has.

It doesn't matter. HAL is not requiring suit and tie.

3 pages and not one single Gala event noted. No special orchestra performance, no special entertainment, no special ceremony. Nothing "gala" mentioned by a single person. Not one. Not a singular activity or event that might compel one to dress to the nines. I mean, if someone has a PERSONAL reason to do so, that's more than sufficient. Someone said people in Canaletto were dressed up but had no reason. Yes, HAL provided NO REASON. But perhaps they had their own personal reasons.

All I read is people trying to coerce the OP by saying well, yeah, the cruise line says it is okay, but your peers might think differently, so can we gently pressure you into falling in line so everyone else is comfortable, even if it makes you uncomfortable? They just don't want too many people doing different than them because they have no self-confidence to wear a suit if others aren't. Oh well.

OP - You read the standards just right and you're fine to go.

What exactly do other lines do that is special on formal nights? I've seen nothing on princess, celebrity, carnival or Hal. I see no one trying to coerce the OP. I see people giving opinions. I know the casual camp doesn't like that. The only valid opinion is one that agrees with the op.

Nothing. If that is what you prefer, go ahead. You can even do it on any and all evenings. If you are comfortable and happy, I encourage you to do so.

What exactly do other lines do that is special on formal nights? I've seen nothing on princess, celebrity, carnival or Hal. I see no one trying to coerce the OP. I see people giving opinions. I know the casual camp doesn't like that. The only valid opinion is one that agrees with the op.

That was OP's response to someone asking what is so bad about spiffing up. OP seems to suggest that others do what pleases them. Sure doesn't seem like a one track mind to me. He even concedes he'll dine alone so as not to offend others by meeting HAL's standards. So your final statement is nullified. If you have not seen coercion in this thread, you have not read this thread.

You haven't seen the champagne fountains on Princess? You haven't been to a captain's welcome back party on royal? Even Carnival has an opportunity on formal evening to meet senior staff for photos. Celebrity I have sailed so long ago I can't recall. But, suffice it to say, some commemorative event can be found on most mainstream lines. I am waiting to hear what is HAL's?

In my experience, I do not believe that these days you can use pictures from a World Cruise "gala" night to imply what might be found on a Caribbean cruise gala night. Even in the somewhat recent "old" days, they were not really comparable. Having been on segments of several HAL World Cruises, the dress of both men and women tends to be quite a bit more upscale than Caribbean and Alaska cruises. On a long cruise this past November, even one that cruise at least 50% of the men in the first, fixed seating wore Tux's, about another 45% wore "business suits" and Sports coats, and a very few were jacket-less.

I truly believe that the length of the cruise and the site of the cruise have some bearing on what folks wear, regardless of what HAL's general requirements or recommendations are at the time.

That was OP's response to someone asking what is so bad about spiffing up. OP seems to suggest that others do what pleases them. Sure doesn't seem like a one track mind to me. He even concedes he'll dine alone so as not to offend others by meeting HAL's standards. So your final statement is nullified. If you have not seen coercion in this thread, you have not read this thread.

You haven't seen the champagne fountains on Princess? You haven't been to a captain's welcome back party on royal? Even Carnival has an opportunity on formal evening to meet senior staff for photos. Celebrity I have sailed so long ago I can't recall. But, suffice it to say, some commemorative event can be found on most mainstream lines. I am waiting to hear what is HAL's?

I wasn't speaking about the op so your statement is nulified. I guess you haven't read the thread since you gloss over the casual camp. Champagne fountain is special? Pictures with the staff is special? Ok, if that's what is "special" Hal has the captains welcome aboard in the theatre. That's a bore to me.

It is very possible that some of your tablemates would find your more casual attire to be an issue, judging from many of the comments on this topic. Some will not care but others will feel that they put a little more effort into dressing up and wish that others did the same.

Hmmmmm.....doesn't sound like a table full of people I would care to dine with...:rolleyes:

The more i read the OP's replies to this thread, it is clear to me that he started this thread with a lack of sincerity.

At best, i believe, he was looking only for validation. At worst, he was looking to tweak the nose of those who feel differently.

Either way, his comments indicate his mind was made up prior to asking for advice. What a waste of time.

If a PhD in anything could not figure out the answer to his basic question "does this outfit meet HAL's requirements" (it clearly does), i am not impressed with higher academia who hand out degrees.

Edited by JPH814

The more i read the OP's replies to this thread, it is clear to me that he started this thread with a lack of sincerity.

At best, i believe, he was looking only for validation. At worst, he was looking to tweak the nose of those who feel differently.

Either way, his comments indicate his mind was made up prior to asking for advice. What a waste of time.

If a PhD in anything could not figure out the answer to his basic question "does this outfit meet HAL's requirements" (it clearly does), i am not impressed with higher academia who hand out degrees.

A quality use of your time, clearly.

Best-

Steve

Nice. You always insult folks you don't agree with?

I can't imagine anything a cruise line could do that would entice me to "dress up". Simply too much trouble, too little gain.

Nice. You always insult folks you don't agree with?

Only those that waste my time.

My earlier responses were positive. I thought his question was a serious request for information. I responded politely and constructively on point. I think differently now.

Suppose the tablemates do have an issue. What could they do about it?

I can't imagine anything a cruise line could do that would entice me to "dress up". Simply too much trouble, too little gain.

I do dress for gala but I agree with you about what is "special". If I was more casual none of the silliness would make me dress up. If people are casual so be it. I just tire of people providing excuses, like I dressed up for 30 years. Who hasn't? Just own it.

Edited by cruz chic

I do dress for gala but I agree with you about what is "special". If I was more casual none of the silliness would made me dress up. If people are casual so be it. I just tire of people providing excuses, like I dressed up for 30 years. Who hasn't? Just own it.

I think we are in agreement. If someone doesn't want to dress up, then just say that you don't want too. It's a matter of personal preference which, to me, never requires justification. "I don't want too" is sufficient.

That said, I can understand that some feel it necessary to give excuses/reasons to deflect some of the criticism.

Those who, while meeting the dress code requirements, nevertheless prefer a more casual outfit rarely (if ever) criticize others for being "over dressed".

So why isn't the vice versa? Why do those who prefer more formal attire feel the need to criticize those who don't? Not all of them, certainly, but a substantial number it would appear.