Calling home...

buckeye12

Honestly I just put my cell in airplane mode and use it for other things. I know it's supposed to be 1.99 per minute with my phone but so many things could cause that to add up so I just budget in the 1.99 per minute on board. The directions to dial home are easy and clear. Also if the person you are calling has caller ID then you should let them know it's going to be a weird number calling..It won't look regular so tell them to answer. I usually average about 6 bucks per day to check on dogs and house and my big kid ...lol...it's easier to do it that way!

Hi :) i too have straight talk. When I was on my cruise in November, I had downloaded an app on my phone for Internet calling. Well, I purchased the expensive Internet plan and the app just would not work. Carnival was kind enough to cancel my internet plan and refund my money. I used the phone in the room to call home. It was $1.99 per minute. I was scared of what my bill was going to look like so I kept my calls home under 10 minutes when I did choose to call. :)

(I did end up getting Internet again toward the end of the cruise to chat and etc on here and Facebook. But for me, it never worked with the texting and calling apps.)

Hope this helps :)

Hi Buckeye

Depending on your port of calls...use free or inexpensive internet. Skype works well most of the time. If picture & sound breaks up, you can always type. After seeing the crew doing this, I have used it often and it works for me. If this isn't practical for you the $1.99/min for phone calls is a big discount from years past.

have a great cruise

Hi :) i too have straight talk. When I was on my cruise in November, I had downloaded an app on my phone for Internet calling. Well, I purchased the expensive Internet plan and the app just would not work. Carnival was kind enough to cancel my internet plan and refund my money. I used the phone in the room to call home. It was $1.99 per minute. I was scared of what my bill was going to look like so I kept my calls home under 10 minutes when I did choose to call. :)

(I did end up getting Internet again toward the end of the cruise to chat and etc on here and Facebook. But for me, it never worked with the texting and calling apps.)

Hope this helps :)

Hi. This sounds easy for me. Does this work when your in port and on sea days? Leaving my dh and ds at home and sailing with my dd-22 and my mom and would like to check in once or twice. Ill set a daye time wih dh for when I would call. Thanks.

We use the cabin phone at $1.99/minute, and keep it super short and sweet. Secret tip..if you keep it under a minute, you won't be charged at all! :D

Great tip. Promise not to tell lol

Thank you all for this thread. I learn so much here!

The Social Internet plan is your best bet. Use it to keep in touch via Facebook messenger and other apps. I love Straight Talk but got rid of it many years ago because I couldn't use it internationally. If you had Verizon they have a decent plan for $40 that gets you 100 minutes, 100mb data 100 outbound texts and unlimited inbound texts. I used that when I cruise and it can be used on the ship or in almost any country.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

We use the cabin phone at $1.99/minute, and keep it super short and sweet. Secret tip..if you keep it under a minute, you won't be charged at all! :D

That reminds me of the time when people made collect calls and just said "call me back" to avoid paying long distance charges lol. Good stuff :)

The Social Internet plan is your best bet. Use it to keep in touch via Facebook messenger and other apps. I love Straight Talk but got rid of it many years ago because I couldn't use it internationally. If you had Verizon they have a decent plan for $40 that gets you 100 minutes, 100mb data 100 outbound texts and unlimited inbound texts. I used that when I cruise and it can be used on the ship or in almost any country.

I have Verizon. What is 100 minutes? Online or calling or texting. Sorry. I usually have my kids explain it all to me but no one here. I am interested in this very much. Thanks.

I have Verizon. What is 100 minutes? Online or calling or texting. Sorry. I usually have my kids explain it all to me but no one here. I am interested in this very much. Thanks.

100 minute of talk and $1.79 per minute after. They also have a $80 plan with more minutes, data and text. The link below contains similar pricing, at the bottom of page look for Cruise Ship Rates. I had to call Verizon to get the exact pricing and details for the $40 plan.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/landingpages/international-travel/