Question about DRIVING to Galveston (toll roads & traffic)

rgmacm

We are driving to the port in Galveston coming from the north so will be coming down I-45. The last time we did that we ended up on a toll road without any toll booths....Long story that I won't detail here, but it was NOT a good experience.

We'd like to have a 'good' experience this time :o:D

So....my questions.....Is it best to just follow I45 through downtown Houston all the way to Galveston? (referring to traffic) We'll be driving in on a Sunday evening by the way....

and will we encounter any toll roads (the ones without toll booths...) on that route?

....or would it be better traffic-wise to take one of the loops (there are 2 ...an inner loop and outer loop) around Houston ..... and are there toll roads without booths on either of those routes?

And of course, if the loops are the better choice, then which one?

thanks! :)

Edited by rgmacm

I've lived in Houston all my life and I'd take I 45 the entire way. No toll roads. If you take the Sam Houston Toll Road (Beltway 8) you will have toll roads including the bridge over the ship channel that now doesn't have toll booths. The inner loop is I 610, but I wouldn't do that one either. Why complicate anything, just stay on the road you're on! :)

I-45 is the best way to go. Houston does have a ton of traffic no denying that. Just plan ahead check road construction and any accidents before entering the Houston area. I drive through Houston often and Get through the traffic easily, mainly by avoiding the heavy traffic times. 5 am to 9am is the morning rush 11-1 lunch rush and the worse is 4-7 pm during afternoon commute. The traffic on the weekends is greater on Fridays and Sunday's. Saturday is much better traffic wise you will normally find heavy congestion at the I-10 to 45 & HWY 59 interchanges and folks getting on and off 610 loop on any day. If you truly want to get on beltway 8 "toll road" you pretty much have to have a toll tag now cost of not having one and getting on the beltway is high they are eliminating toll booths so now they pop your plates if you don't have tag and send you a bill you won't forget happen to me now I got a Txtag. Don't use the 610 loop worse than staying on 45

Edited by ceistre