Rental Car and Rum Point - Doable when in port 7-4?

Pops, Esq.

The wife and I will be docking in GC at 7:00a leaving at 4:00p. I am not a fan of crowded beaches, etc. and would probably be looking to get somewhere more "away" from the crowd by the time the ship gets to GC.

We are considering renting a car and driving out to Rum Point for the day. Swim/snorkel/beach thing. Just hang out. No entertainment needed. I think it would be fun to get out and drive around a little, even if it is on the wrong side of the road. But, I question whether that is really doable given the time restrictions. Maybe too many things to do in too short a period of time?

There are a few car rental places that have the complete package (car, gas, fees, license, insurance, etc.) for prices I can deal with. At least they SAY it's all you need...

Would a better plan be just to get a cab to Smith Cove, Cemetery Beach or some other less-populated beach area and take the restrictions on my ability to "get away" like a big boy and figure a beautiful beach on a tropical island is "away" enough?

I need some advice from those that know. (I know you are out there, I have seen your posts!)

Absolutely you could do it!

Grand Cayman is very easy to navigate.

I would get off the ship as early as possible though and make my way back with a good 2 hour cushion of time prior to when you have to be back on board. They will drop you back off at the port once you turn in the car.

Economy, Budget, Avis, Andy's and probably others will send someone to come pick you up at the port. You just have to email them before hand and coordinate things.

The rental car companies will get you ( for a fee) the driving permit that is needed. I would suggest buying insurance through them as well, but that is just my personal opinion.

Go for it!

We did it and had a blast. I loved Rum Point (except I was DD so no rum for me). Rented at the airport which meant an easy return and then they shuttled us right up to the gate at the pier.

Driving was not hard and rental was quick and easy. We were picked up at a shop right by the pier and shuttle to the airport on the way there.

Go for it!

We did it and had a blast. I loved Rum Point (except I was DD so no rum for me). Rented at the airport which meant an easy return and then they shuttled us right up to the gate at the pier.

Driving was not hard and rental was quick and easy. We were picked up at a shop right by the pier and shuttle to the airport on the way there.

Which rental car agency did you use? Did you reserve on-line?

I have a reservation with Budget at the airport. I "kinda" did it online. They have a "cruise special" but it is not an option when you reserve. I sent an email and they set me up. I have a confirming email and everything, but I won't know until I get there if it's all good.

I think the rate I got was $80 US total for a mid-size. That's all fees, permits, rental, gas, etc. I am still researching other agencies, because I see better deals. But on that promises "one stop shopping" for all fees and gas and permits seems worth a few extra bucks.

I have rented cars for the day while in port for much less than $80 including temp license fee, taxes, and even the $20 a day insurance.

I did rent economy size cars though, as I find them so much more fun to drive on island, as well as rented during the off season.

It is currently high season in Cayman (Jan - May), so maybe that accounts for the high price.

Edited by CocoCandy

Which rental car agency did you use? Did you reserve on-line?

https://www.aviscayman.com/cruise-home/

They picked us up in town, took us to the airport, brought us back to the pier. We used the all in rate. It was $65 when we did it but I see from the above link it is now $80. There were 4 of us so we found it a cheap way to spend the day.

There was no charge at Rum Point to park or for lounge chairs. You just need to pay drinks and food.

• 4 weeks later...