Getaway rescue at sea

javafriend

We saw the whole thing unfold from our stateroom. Apparently, because they didn't know where these people came from, no life boats were launched.

Actually one life boat was lowered to be ready if needed but never unhooked. As they were able to get them inside directly from the side of the ship, no life boat was needed for the rescue.

I was standing by the railing on the Waterfront just outside La Cucina and have a handful of pictures of the raft that I might upload somewhere later (still on vacation so have more important things to do ;)).

I was on this Getaway cruise and I was able to see them being rescued. We were on deck 5 and could look out our Oceanview window. My daughter and sister were on deck 8 above us watching from their balcony. They had an SOS flag attached to their raft and were yelling "help". There was a lifeboat activated ready to go but it was not released into the water. A crew member sat in the lifeboat and shined a spotlight on the Cuban raft to guide them to a door on deck 4. they managed to guide the raft to the side of the boat and were taken into deck 4. The next morning at breakfast some of the breakfast staff said the Cubans were released to the Mexican authorities. I hope they're not returned back to Cuba.

Karen

As I was told on the Pearl , if the Cubans don't make U S land on their own then the Coast Guard will take them to Key West for interrogation and then return them to Cuba

That is totally incorrect. Cuban migrants do not get interrogated and they certainly are not taken to any US port. They are only asked very specific screening questions to determine if a legitimate asylum request exists, and then they are repatriated to Cuba.

With wet foot/dry foot, if they were to be taken to Key West first, they would be dry foot and allowed to stay. All Cuban migrants remain at sea on a USCG cutter until repatriated.

That is totally incorrect. Cuban migrants do not get interrogated and they certainly are not taken to any US port. They are only asked very specific screening questions to determine if a legitimate asylum request exists, and then they are repatriated to Cuba.

With wet foot/dry foot, if they were to be taken to Key West first, they would be dry foot and allowed to stay. All Cuban migrants remain at sea on a USCG cutter until repatriated.

You are correct...that's what I was told at the time... But I guess that's exactly why heresay is not allowed in a court of law, it's usually wrong .

Did some reading since my post and it appears they will get transferred from Cutter to Cutter until they're repatriated. Sad part that I read is that one Coast Guardsman said over several years he saw the same Cuban 6 different times.

You are correct...that's what I was told at the time... But I guess that's exactly why heresay is not allowed in a court of law, it's usually wrong .

Did some reading since my post and it appears they will get transferred from Cutter to Cutter until they're repatriated. Sad part that I read is that one Coast Guardsman said over several years he saw the same Cuban 6 different times.

No worries. I work with this issue first hand, so I would never expect everyone to know everything about this subject...especially with all the rumor that tends to get spread.

Yes, they will be transferred from cutter to cutter. A small cutter can only hold so many, so they are moved to a larger holding platform until repatriation is approved. Then, small groups get moved back to the smaller cutters for repatriation.

And you are also correct about seeing certain migrants over and over. That actually is proof another rumor is incorrect.....the rumor they are imprisoned in Cuba for any significant length of time when repatriated.

No worries. I work with this issue first hand, so I would never expect everyone to know everything about this subject...especially with all the rumor that tends to get spread.

Yes, they will be transferred from cutter to cutter. A small cutter can only hold so many, so they are moved to a larger holding platform until repatriation is approved. Then, small groups get moved back to the smaller cutters for repatriation.

And you are also correct about seeing certain migrants over and over. That actually is proof another rumor is incorrect.....the rumor they are imprisoned in Cuba for any significant length of time when repatriated.

How does the repatriation actually take place...does a Cuban vessel come out to international waters to meet the US vessel ??

How does the repatriation actually take place...does a Cuban vessel come out to international waters to meet the US vessel ??

USCG cutters take them all the way in. Cuba allows the cutters to dock. The Coasties don't disembark and the Cuban authorities don't board. After the migrants are transferred, the cutter gets back underway.

Edited by Aquahound

USCG cutters take them all the way in. Cuba allows the cutters to dock. The Coasties don't disembark and the Cuban authorities don't board. After the migrants are transferred, the cutter gets back underway.

Thanks...very interesting

• 2 months later...

For those interested in seeing more pictures of the January Getaway rescue of Cuban refugees, I have included a few pictures and details in my cruise review. I am just now getting around to writing my review, and I remembered this post.

IMG_0002_zpsue4brvnp.jpg

Beginning at post #7:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2331862