Koningsdam returning to Venice.

Alphen

At last I can see what I had in my mind when making the painting of KONINGSDAM. Close enough I think.

I can see some 'errors'. Mostly with the lifeboats. On my plans the standard lifeboats show two different types.... now just one. Too late.... the paintings are on the way to the ship!

1685880136_koningsdammatchpaintingIMG_1030_zps4ys7jqp1.jpg.f52daf29633b869f75bee2391f0b17b1.jpg

118864035_KONINGSDAMpaintingSCARD2015SN.jpg.7f916e7279d12f9693ce5c3694bce682.jpg

At last I can see what I had in my mind when making the painting of KONINGSDAM. Close enough I think.

I can see some 'errors'. Mostly with the lifeboats. On my plans the standard lifeboats show two different types.... now just one. Too late.... the paintings are on the way to the ship!

Not sure how you mean this, but on the photo's there are the three on the aft section (most probably the tenders?) and the eight more forward, that look like regular life boats, so indeed two different types!

I am unable to zoom in on the photo of the painting your provided, but what I can see and compare with close-ups in this link; http://forum.crocieristi.it/showthread.php/43065-Foto-Koningsdam , you appear to be spot on!

Edited by Alphen

Not sure how you mean this, but on the photo's there are the three on the aft section (most probably the tenders?) and the eight more forward, that look like regular life boats, so indeed two different types!

I am unable to zoom in on the photo of the painting your provided, but what I can see and compare with close-ups in this link; http://forum.crocieristi.it/showthread.php/43065-Foto-Koningsdam , you appear to be spot on!

Hi Alphen,

No.... the tenders are mostly correct. I did not have any detail on the tenders... just a very small elevation on the plan. Not much to shape of the tenders or even the paint scheme.

The forward 'normal' lifeboats... the plans show two different types. I showed two types... I don't know why that was on the plan. Now in the photos I see all of those lifeboats are the same..... and most of them are wrong! Oops.

The only 'correction' I was able to do was to change the logo on the funnel!

I really don't like doing some paintings before seeing the ship. One of the hardest was the painting of QUEEN MARY 2. Almost a year and half before the ship was completed I showed the ship arriving under the Verazzano Narrows. Two years later I found a photo of the QM2 maiden arrival under the Verazzano Narrows. Good guess I think. The paint scheme was not quite correct. The black stripe on the fwheelhouse superstructure was done very late in building.

Oh well, all well in a day's job. I guess it will be an easy job to paint the next new HAL ship... and my guess her name will be PRINSENDAM!

29142462_BRIDGEQM2b..jpg.a5460edc5a6caabaf159be5b2ac2ff95.jpg

1475571501_BRIDGEQM2.jpg.c979ca528104ca1578f43ddfdbffe566.jpg

Edited by Topsham

Hi Alphen,

No.... the tenders are mostly correct. I did not have any detail on the tenders... just a very small elevation on the plan. Not much to shape of the tenders or even the paint scheme.

The forward 'normal' lifeboats... the plans show two different types. I showed two types... I don't know why that was on the plan. Now in the photos I see all of those lifeboats are the same..... and most of them are wrong! Oops.

The only 'correction' I was able to do was to change the logo on the funnel!

I really don't like doing some paintings before seeing the ship. One of the hardest was the painting of QUEEN MARY 2. Almost a year and half before the ship was completed I showed the ship arriving under the Verazzano Narrows. Two years later I found a photo of the QM2 maiden arrival under the Verazzano Narrows. Good guess I think. The paint scheme was not quite correct. The black stripe on the fwheelhouse superstructure was done very late in building.

Oh well, all well in a day's job. I guess it will be an easy job to paint the next new HAL ship... and my guess her name will be PRINSENDAM!

I don't think we will hold this against you, maybe nobody will notice, unless they really look into detail. Assuming the painting will go somewhere in the stairwell, you undoubtedly will hold up traffic, if you want to take a close look. :D:D:D

Regarding Prinsendam, only time will tell. Deliverance in November 2018 will need an initial start of the project soon after deliverance of Koningsdam on 31st of March?

Statendam (6)...

Well, I would not be unhappy about that choice either!

My only thought is that PRINSENDAM is getting a bit long in the tooth. Two and half years? Probably time to go. The name PRINSENDAM is a perfect match with KONINGSDAM.... PRINCE and the KING.

One of the reasons.... and I am only just guessing..... the paintings from the STATENDAM and RYNDAM.... are now on board KONINGSDAM. If a plan to use that name STATENDAM for a new ship..... ? Just a guess.

I don't think we will hold this against you, maybe nobody will notice, unless they really look into detail. Assuming the painting will go somewhere in the stairwell, you undoubtedly will hold up traffic, if you want to take a close look. :D:D:D

Regarding Prinsendam, only time will tell. Deliverance in November 2018 will need an initial start of the project soon after deliverance of Koningsdam on 31st of March?

Thanks again. The two new paintings (KONINGSDAM and s.s. ROTTERDAM) are not going into the stairwell. The paintings for the stairwell have came over from STATENDAM and RYNDAM. There is a special spot on the new ships.... and a few other special pieces. Not my shot. Leave until the new spot is unveiled. You won't be disappointed...I'm not.

Thanks again. The two new paintings (KONINGSDAM and s.s. ROTTERDAM) are not going into the stairwell. The paintings for the stairwell have came over from STATENDAM and RYNDAM. There is a special spot on the new ships.... and a few other special pieces. Not my shot. Leave until the new spot is unveiled. You won't be disappointed...I'm not.

Ok great, breaking with tradition then. The ships I have been on, have or had all of the series of ships with their predecessors hanging in the stairwells (Noordam, Zuiderdam, Zaandam, Rotterdam and Zaandam, the Eurodam I can’t remember), so I assumed that would be the case on Koningsdam too.

Looking forward to april 8th more and more, so I will see for myself if the spot does your art justice.

By the way, as far as name guessing goes, my money is on the successor to the throne, naming the next one after the oldest daughter of our current king, Amaliadam. Next to Koningsdam, it might have some logic, instead of getting rid of Prinsendam, after her recent upgrades and the fact that they are still getting some revenue out of her!

Ok great, breaking with tradition then. The ships I have been on, have or had all of the series of ships with their predecessors hanging in the stairwells (Noordam, Zuiderdam, Zaandam, Rotterdam and Zaandam, the Eurodam I can’t remember), so I assumed that would be the case on Koningsdam too.

Looking forward to april 8th more and more, so I will see for myself if the spot does your art justice.

By the way, as far as name guessing goes, my money is on the successor to the throne, naming the next one after the oldest daughter of our current king, Amaliadam. Next to Koningsdam, it might have some logic, instead of getting rid of Prinsendam, after her recent upgrades and the fact that they are still getting some revenue out of her!

I see with the tradition... mostly 'intact'.... but I see what you mean.

Next ship. Amalia.... yes. Nice name too, but the ship might get named PRINSES AMALIA.... and that was a tradition at one time with the PRINSES MARGRIET. Or call as PRINCESS AMALIA.... and ship would be all white and can switch back and forth between HAL and Princess Cruises!!!!!:eek:

Upgrades and revenue yes.... would be a great ship for Fred Olsen.