La Sagrada Familia

Purchase your tickets online then just go to the line with your ticket. We went first thing in the morning and did the audio tour where you get a recorder and headphones. Seemed to be good for us. Also make sure to go up one of the towers. I think you have to book that online as well. Don't miss it, it was an amazing site.

OP: you've gotten good advice above, but you can also ask your question in the Ports of Call/Europe/Spain forum.

We first visited La Sagrada Familia in 2010; the inside was still pretty much a construction site. So you can imagine how astonished we were upon a return visit in 2014, when the interior looks as it does below. It is a truly spectacular building, inside and out. And I agree with the advice to go up into one of the towers. We picked the Nativity Facade, as that's the one on which Gaudi worked. (And the view was beautiful, too.)

Enjoy your trip!

Sagrada%20inside%201024x820_zps1tbscawn.jpg

MedCruise2010106.jpg

(photos by turtles06)

Do the towers... That's the thing I most regret not doing when there.

You don't really need a guide inside, just pre-order tickets. You do not want to be in the day of purchase line, trust me.

We had a driver when there and he actually was able to pick up our tickets from some kind of ATM nearby, however the system was Spanish only. This may have changed since 2012. The pre-reserved time ticket pickup line was about 40 mins long.

On the towers, you ride up and walk down. So, if you have any mobility issues, claustrophobia or are larger around than a typical 19th century person, it may be a challenge :)

It is an amazing place. Buy your tickets online, as mentioned, and leave time to just sit and reflect.

On the towers, you ride up and walk down. So, if you have any mobility issues, claustrophobia or are larger around than a typical 19th century person, it may be a challenge :)

It is an amazing place. Buy your tickets online, as mentioned, and leave time to just sit and reflect.

It just happens that I was reading on the official site earlier this evening and keeping my mother in mind I recalled reading the following. Perhaps this is new since you were there but according to the website;

"The facades are not joined, and consequently have separate access points. The top of the towers can only be accessed by lift, one on each facade. You can choose to go up either the tower on the Nativity facade with views over the east of Barcelona, or the tower on the Passion facade facing the city centre. The lift is used to get down the tower on the Passion facade, while steps are used to go down the tower on the Nativity facade."

So according to this those with mobility issues should be able to still visit the towers on the Passion facade. Hope this encourages others who might have concerns to give it a go. :)

Rochelle

It just happens that I was reading on the official site earlier this evening and keeping my mother in mind I recalled reading the following. Perhaps this is new since you were there but according to the website;

"The facades are not joined, and consequently have separate access points. The top of the towers can only be accessed by lift, one on each facade. You can choose to go up either the tower on the Nativity facade with views over the east of Barcelona, or the tower on the Passion facade facing the city centre. The lift is used to get down the tower on the Passion facade, while steps are used to go down the tower on the Nativity facade."

So according to this those with mobility issues should be able to still visit the towers on the Passion facade. Hope this encourages others who might have concerns to give it a go. :)

Rochelle

Thanks for the info. We're planning to visit this summer.

Went there last summer two main points to know

Book your ticket online well in advance. Very easy to do and was sold out for next three days when we where there.

The hop on hop on buses are crazy busy. You can wait up to 2 hours to get a seat at most stops. We relied on them to for transport to the cathedral and nearly missed our time slot.

We went about a month ago and pre-purchased tickets online. This is definitely the way to go, as when we arrived for our afternoon tour, they were turning walk-ups away, as they were fully booked for the day.

We were not able to print our tickets ahead of time, but did not need to wait in a will-call line either, as they were able to simply scan the barcode on my smartphone. From the time we arrived to the time we were in the cathedral was less than 5 minutes.

Walking to it from the city center, it is an amazing site, as you see it emerge from between the other buildings. It continues to grow and become more and more magnificent as you get nearer. Simply spectacular.

+1, or +100, or +1,000,000 to everyone who suggests to buy in advance. The walk-up line is easily an hour, if you get in at all.

The other thing is that while one needs to be aware of one's surroundings wherever one travels to stay safe, petty crime basically goes unprosecuted in Barcelona (convictions cannot be entered for theft of less than about EUR 400). As such, tourist spots there require particular vigilance.

Nobody's going to pull a gun on you but groups of thieves are out trying every other trick in the book because even if they are caught, it's catch-and-release. Don't let this deter you from visiting, but be extra cautious with your possessions in Barcelona.

Do the towers... That's the thing I most regret not doing when there.

You don't really need a guide inside, just pre-order tickets. You do not want to be in the day of purchase line, trust me.

We had a driver when there and he actually was able to pick up our tickets from some kind of ATM nearby, however the system was Spanish only. This may have changed since 2012. The pre-reserved time ticket pickup line was about 40 mins long.

So if we reserve online a 10am time, we need to get there by 9:15am in order to pick up our tickets and get in during our time???

So if we reserve online a 10am time, we need to get there by 9:15am in order to pick up our tickets and get in during our time???

The ticket booth is on Carrer de Sardenya. Then, you walk around to the other side of the cathedral on Carrer de la Marina to enter.

This is a map that is on the tickets to show you where to go.

map.jpg

If you have pre-purchased tickets and either printed them out or have them accessible via smartphone, you can simply proceed directly to the entrance on Carrer de la Marina and get in the access line. No need to visit the ticket booth at all.

We had a 3:45-4:00 reservation, arrived at 3:40 and got right in.

Definitely go, definitely get there early, and definitely do the towers.

La Sagrada Familia is probably the most impressive building I've ever visited. It breaks my heart when people say that they went, but didn't go in—because if anything, it's even more impressive inside than out.

It sounds like they have resolved the issues that we encountered in 2012, where pre-purchased tickets need to be picked up and then physically presented at the gate. If that's the case, then no.

If you do need to pick up a physical ticket, I would say 9:00 am for a 10:00 entry unless the lines are far less because of the new entry system. If there's no line, just check out the area.

Sorry I don't have more current info, but it looks like others do (and I would definitely repost in Spain forum)

We have 3 days pre cruise in September and I told hubby that we dont need to go in we will just look from the outside ... after reading this we are going to prebook tickets online and we are going in ....thanks everyone!!!!!

The Sagrada Famillia is incredible. Such a beautiful place. I travelled with my fiancée and family June 2015 on the Epic. We bought our entrance tickets online and were glad we did because we walked straight in. The queues were really long when we arrived at about 10am.

But we didn't pay for the guided tour. We just downloaded a tour app on our phones and brought earphones with us, which meant a free tour.

So my suggestion is to download (on wifi ;) and try out a few guided tour apps beforehand and see if you like them and then you can decide whether you want to go with that or pay for the guided tour on the day.

Some of the apps cover different sites in Barcelona as well so it's really handy.

Have a great holiday :)

Pre purchase tix before you leave home

Then when you go through your special very short line....do take the ticket taker up on his offer to sell you elevator tickets to go up I to the steeples

A few feet to your left will be the elevator ticket booth ...buy them you won't be sorry

Take elevator up and walk down...it's not strenuous by any means....

And you will be glad as you have now experienced one of the most special places on Earth....

Next to the colosseum underground and 3 rd tier tour of course. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Pre purchase tix before you leave home

Then when you go through your special very short line....do take the ticket taker up on his offer to sell you elevator tickets to go up I to the steeples

A few feet to your left will be the elevator ticket booth ...buy them you won't be sorry

Take elevator up and walk down...it's not strenuous by any means....

I had no problem with walking down from the Nativity Facade tower, but for some people, a relatively dark, narrow, stone spiral staircase could be a challenge. I think those folks should know what they might be getting into.

SagradaStairs_zps6e82a002.jpg

(photo by turtles06, taken in 2010)

The Sagrada Famillia is incredible. Such a beautiful place. I travelled with my fiancée and family June 2015 on the Epic. We bought our entrance tickets online and were glad we did because we walked straight in. The queues were really long when we arrived at about 10am.

But we didn't pay for the guided tour. We just downloaded a tour app on our phones and brought earphones with us, which meant a free tour.

So my suggestion is to download (on wifi ;) and try out a few guided tour apps beforehand and see if you like them and then you can decide whether you want to go with that or pay for the guided tour on the day.

Some of the apps cover different sites in Barcelona as well so it's really handy.

Have a great holiday :)

I have been looking at apps for this very purpose. Do you recall which one you used and if so how would you rate it?

Thanks in advance

Rochelle

I had no problem with walking down from the Nativity Facade tower, but for some people, a relatively dark, narrow, stone spiral staircase could be a challenge. I think those folks should know what they might be getting into.

SagradaStairs_zps6e82a002.jpg

(photo by turtles06, taken in 2010)

They can take the elevator back doe as I asked this in advance

They can take the elevator back doe as I asked this in advance

Also walking down is not for anyone who uses a cane...walker etc

But if you can walk and hold a railing you will be fine

You can always take the elevator back down too

In terms of telling people they can take the elevator back down, this is only true of the Passion Facade. The only way down from the Nativity Facade is to walk down. The Facades are not connected.

Here's the official web site re the towers and elevators:

http://www.sagradafamilia.org/en/towers/

In terms of telling people they can take the elevator back down, this is only true of the Passion Facade. The only way down from the Nativity Facade is to walk down. The Facades are not connected.

Here's the official web site re the towers and elevators:

http://www.sagradafamilia.org/en/towers/

Ok so if someone knows they might want to take the elevator back down then they need to possibly not walk across but rather stay by the elevators

Bottom line....I asked and said we had a member of our group who may want to ride back down

While it may take some geographical sense....it can be done and going up into the spirals is relatively simple as is getting back down be it by elevator or stairs

It's not zip lining in the rain forest but now it will become a major debate here on cc. How fun [emoji122]