Vegetarian menu

TheCalicoCat

Does HAL still have a vegetarian menu?

(I'm allergic to shellfish & pork & choose not to eat chicken & beef - I do eat salmon/halibut/cod...)

Are any of the dishes served in the Buffet? Do I need to worry about contamination - dipping food from 2 warming trays? (If I am out later than my early dining, can I order vegetarian room service?)

Pork is served in the buffet along with chicken and beef.

There are other choices which might suit you. You can order salmon in MDR (most) nights for dinner but it isn't available very often at lunch.

There are vegetarian items in all venues at all meals - including room service. You can also pre-order (for the next night) in the MDR and the kitchen will make your dish vegetarian.

Thanks, good to know there are room service options worst case scenario.

In my experience, there's not a very good vegetarian selection in the Lido - it's kind of hit or miss.

However, the dinner selections in the MDR are good. I let them know the first night I'd like to select from the separate vegetarian menu, which is quite extensive. Be forewarned, the servings are a tad larger than the regular menu items. Your waiters also know what will be on the menu the next night, so, if there's something I really like, I let them know I'll choose from the regular menu. It was nice to be able to have that choice.

There's usually was fish option on the Lido lunch menu.

Turkey may be an option for you too if you eat that. The Grill will make turkey burgers to order, fresh pan so no cross contamination.

Do you know if they do veggie burgers?

(I don't do fowl, beef, lamb, etc. in addition to my allergies. It easier to do vegetarian.)

This menu may have been updated for dinner as I got it a couple of years ago:

VEGETARIAN MENU

Select one option from each section to be served the following evening.

Appetizers

Lemon and Spinach Ricotta Dip

Vegetarian Mezza Plate (vegan) - Baba Ghanousch, hummus, tabbouleh

Vegetable Terrine - broccoli, carrot, zucchini, tarragon sour cream

Strawberry and Bucatini Bruschetta

Vegetarian Sushi Roll (vegan) - avocado, cucumber, red pimento

Portabello Mushroom and Chipotle Quesadilla

Vietnamese Vegetable Spring Roll (vegan)

Curried Vegetable Empanadas

Soups

Asian Noodle Soup (vegan)

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (vegan)

Pasta Fagioli (vegan)

Salads

Tossed Fresh Garden Greens (vegan)

Spicy Lentil and Garbanzo Salad (vegan)

Entrees

Baked Cheese Polenta with Mushrooms Artichoke Hearts

Asparagus, Carrot and Zucchini Tart

Baked Vegetable Lasagna

Vegetable and Bean Chili - with sour cream

Pad Thai Noodles (vegan)

Vegetable Jambalaya (vegan)

Spinach Palak Curry

Sweet and Sour Vegetable Tempura (vegan)

Grilled Vegetable and Tofo Kabob (vegan)

Do you know if they do veggie burgers?

(I don't do fowl, beef, lamb, etc. in addition to my allergies. It easier to do vegetarian.)

The vegetarian option at the Dive-In is a grilled portobello mushroom cap, not true veggie patties/burgers.

The vegetarian option at the Dive-In is a grilled portobello mushroom cap, not true veggie patties/burgers.

Good to know... Worth a try I guess. (some portobellos are done nicely, other not so much - but some of that also comes down to personal taste.)

:( I was hoping that I could say, "Can I have that chili from the vegetarian menu?"

You can ask, but please don't be disappointed if they can't accommodate you.

You say you have early dining, so if you return late you could go to the Lido. The night before, when filling out your vegetarian menu, just tell your steward that you will be going to the Lido the next night and your food will be available there for you.

on our last cruise nov. 2015 one of the people just happened to order vegetarian for 3 nights off the regular menu. our waiter then told him they do have a separate menu. they will presentvit and you order for the next night. so I imagine if you go there the day you board you can arrange for it.

Don' t expect quality re the portobello burger.

December I just finished a 50 day cruise on the Maasdam and only once saw the mushroom more than half the size of the bun. And the numerous cheese slices on it overwhelmed all else.

Next cruise I will likely eat lunch in the main dining room when craving a real vegetarian burger.

Yes, I still loved the cruise. Not trying to pan HAL.

every night in the main dining room and even one in the Pinnacle for those who accompany meat eaters and a fish dish as well on every menu.

Pinnacle is a steakhouse, right? (separately priced upscale dining venue that happens to have a lot of steak based choices... If in fact it is not actually classified as a steak house.)

I actually have really enjoyed the grilled salmon in Pinnacle Grill a number of times.

Yes, Pinnacle is an alternative restaurant for which there is an upcharge..

I eat beef but prefer more fish than beef. I'm getting idea you have many allergies and specific preferences. It might be worth your while to call Ship's Services to advise them in advance of your needs. 800-541-1576

Maybe they can assure you they'll have the hot sauce you want, you can get vegetarian menu, you'll be late in port and want to order vegetarian for room service etc

Edited by sail7seas

I actually have really enjoyed the grilled salmon in Pinnacle Grill a number of times.

Yes, Pinnacle is an alternative restaurant for which there is an upcharge..

I eat beef but prefer more fish than beef. I'm getting idea you have many allergies and specific preferences. It might be worth your while to call Ship's Services to advise them in advance of your needs. 800-541-1576

Maybe they can assure you they'll have the hot sauce you want, you can get vegetarian menu, you'll be late in port and want to order vegetarian for room service etc

Thanks for the telephone number! (60-ish days prior to sailing, right? I sail July 2017.)

Yes, allergic to shell fish & pork & Yes, I have it on my to do list to advise HAL of my allergies.

(I'm going to AK - late ports, so I am a little concerned beyond the MDR - my preference - what can I say, I like table service & I like getting to know the waiters.)