Car hire IAH to Galveston

Reina del Mar

I have read several posts on this but am unable to locate them recently.

We would like to fly into IAH from UK four or five days prior to cruise on on Liberty of Seas. Ideally we 'd like to pick up a hire car, drive to Galveston spend the time staying in a Galveston hotel and exploring local area.

We then need to return rental car..I understand the only company on the island is Enterprise. They seem to be charging huge one way drop off fees. I remember reading about the possibility of dropping off at Texas City , then using taxi/ shuttle to return to Galveston....hotel shuttle to ship.

Anyone with experience of this they are able to share please ? Distance ? Taxi fare.??

Thank you for your help.

There is an Avis agency in Texas City. They used to have a shuttle to cruise port, but the latest I've heard is that the shuttle has been discontinued. Taxi fare from Texas City to the cruise port is on the $50 range.

I found it cheaper to stay at a hotel with free cruise parking than return the rental car and then rent another car at the end of the cruise. It felt very silly to rent a car for 8 days to leave it parked for 7 of them, but it suited the budget better. The hotel included a free shuttle to and from the cruise port.

Hi Momma bear,

Could you kindly advise car hire company and hotel ?

We are thinking of Hilton hotel at Galveston Island. I understand that Enterprise is the only car hire office on the island.

Thought to take RC transfer back to airport as flight is 15.05 and being international need to be there by noon, so no time to start again with car rental

Many thanks.

Hi Momma bear,

Could you kindly advise car hire company and hotel ?

We are thinking of Hilton hotel at Galveston Island. I understand that Enterprise is the only car hire office on the island.

Thought to take RC transfer back to airport as flight is 15.05 and being international need to be there by noon, so no time to start again with car rental

Many thanks.

We stayed at Moody Gardens. If I were ever to sail out of Galveston again, I would go a few days early as there were many attractions rich on property which we did not have time to explore.

As far as car rentals, I cannot remember who I used. I generally go to a few different large trace sites and just choose the cheapest.

I found it cheaper to stay at a hotel with free cruise parking than return the rental car and then rent another car at the end of the cruise. It felt very silly to rent a car for 8 days to leave it parked for 7 of them, but it suited the budget better. The hotel included a free shuttle to and from the cruise port.

Agree with MommaBear on this...but our hotel didn't offer free parking (or a free shuttle to the terminal).

We are arriving at IAH the day before our cruise. None of the airport shuttles or sedan-rentals offered an appropriate time for pick up (they all would have left us sitting at the airport for hours waiting for a "shuttle") or drop off at the airport after our cruise (again sitting at the airport for 3+ hours before our flight). It was actually CHEAPER for us to rent a car (from Thrifty) and pay for parking near the terminal for 7 days, than sit around waiting for a car-service/shuttle and paying a CRAZY amount for the hassle. Hopefully it works out for us...looking forward to having our own wheels :)

Edited by turboteacher