Bananarama

Tracik

I was thinking about going directly with Bananarama to do the basic $30 package. Did it really take 20 minutes to get to the driver? One member of our party has some mobility issues so a 20 minute walk might make me rethink this.

Also, is there any flexibility with the return time to the ship or is it a set time? Thanks.

Well it probably depends on when you start your timer! I started ours as soon as we left the ship. You have to walk thru the port, then outside. You do have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the road, but I think someone posted you could just take a cab from the port down the hill We did stop for a few seconds to be sure were were going the right way. And we were walking slow because it was hot and humid. So I would say yes, 20 minutes max but that is the whole trip from ship to driver. You do have to walk out of the port, down a hill, and then you find your driver out of the crowd lined up on the road. It all worked fine but that walk was more than we thought it would be. Glad we didn't have to walk back up the hill on return. As noted above, they can bring you into the port to drop off but not pickup.

Bananarama was pretty good--nice table in the shade and you could move beach chairs into the shade. We did that, then left to snorkel and when we came back a group had moved our chairs into the sun so they could have shade. They were from the same ship as us but arrived much later. We just moved our stuff up under a table in the shade on the edge of the restaurant and that worked great for us.

I would do it again, but maybe walk down the beach to find good snorkeling, then come back up to bananarama for lunch. It is all very easy as noted above, just decide what you want to do and go for it, you will have a great time!

Note: as you enter port on the ship (for Mahogany Bay), you can look over and see the road that you have to walk down to find your driver if on an independent tour. That helped us get our bearings but there are lots of people who will help point you in the right direction.

Just noticed you also asked about when to come back. We booked directly with bananarama and when our driver (Steven) dropped us off, he told us to just let the office know when we wanted to go back and they would get him. As it turned out, he was sitting near us when we were ready to go, so we just agreed to meet in 10 minutes and go back to the ship. This was on Friday before Easter, which was a very busy time but it worked great.

Have fun

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

Well it probably depends on when you start your timer! I started ours as soon as we left the ship. You have to walk thru the port, then outside. You do have to walk up a flight of stairs to get to the road, but I think someone posted you could just take a cab from the port down the hill We did stop for a few seconds to be sure were were going the right way. And we were walking slow because it was hot and humid. So I would say yes, 20 minutes max but that is the whole trip from ship to driver. You do have to walk out of the port, down a hill, and then you find your driver out of the crowd lined up on the road. It all worked fine but that walk was more than we thought it would be. Glad we didn't have to walk back up the hill on return. As noted above, they can bring you into the port to drop off but not pickup.

My DW needs a wheelchair for longer walks. Is there an easy way for wheelchairs to get from the port entrance to the road? Or would taking a taxi by better? Thanks.

My DW needs a wheelchair for longer walks. Is there an easy way for wheelchairs to get from the port entrance to the road? Or would taking a taxi by better? Thanks.

So just to be clear--we arrived at Mahogany Bay. If you are arriving at Coxen Hole, I don't have any info.

I think the trip from the ship and down the hill would be hard with a wheelchair, but this is only an issue if you do an independent tour. If you take a ships excursion, you will have to get from the ship out to the parking lot where the buses are and, where we docked, you had to walk up a fair incline to get to port shops and the exit. But, if you're doing a ships tour, they may be able to offer some help to get you out to the buses?

If you do an independent tour, then yes, I guess you would have to take a cab from the parking lot, out of the port and down the hill. I don't know if a cab would do that but maybe. You might be able to push a wheelchair the whole way, but you would have to stay on the road, push uphill, then hang on to go downhill. And the road is sort of narrow. There are stairs that can be used for the able, but I can't see that as option for you.

I just realized you may be thinking of just taking a cab somewhere. If that's the case, then you would only have to manage getting from the ship to the parking lot. Tons of cabs there.

I hope this isn't too confusing. Post if I wasn't clear :)

ML

Thanks for the info @NoWhiners.

You're welcome. Post if you have any other questions.

I did forget to say we booked the package that included snorkeling gear (mask, snorkel and fins, no vest), which was $35 pp plus ta (about $80 drive out). Not the best equipment but it worked. They also let us use a locker for free. If you just want to get there and not snorkel, it is $30 pp. Either way, you get to use all their facilities--chairs on the beach, the bars (you get 1 free drink: beer, well drink, water or a soda), restaurants, restrooms, the open shower, and changing rooms. They are pretty nice, not plush by any means but perfect for what you need and close to the beach. It can be really handy if you want to rinse the salt water off you and your suit before you go back (or change into dry clothes).

They are supposed to have free wifi for guests but the day we were there it wasn't working :(

Good luck. If we ever go back, I will know a lot better what to do!

ML

Edited by NoWhiners

• 2 months later...
Are there a lot of beach vendors in these areas? Would like to avoid them if possible. Just began my research for our first visit to Honduras - a little overwhelming right now!

Yes, there are beach vendors. They never bothered me but they are there. Roatan is a very laid back island so they never seemed pushy to me. I believe the people to be very friendly on Roatan. On West Bay Beach, you can avoid them by going to Infinity Bay Resort or Gran Roatan resort.

Also, the cruise line's excursion to West Bay Beach is Tabyana Beach Break. Bananarama and Beachers has cruise line day packages as well.

We've been to Bananarama 3-4 times now and will be going back this fall. A few notes for those of you that have not been.

From Coxen Hole, the driver is usually across the street, right outside the port. Not a terribly long walk.

The resort is green. As in ecofriendly. No plastic water bottles - if you want water, they sell you ONE purified bottle to reuse. Refill as much as you like and keep the bottle as a souvenir.

As mentioned, if you book through them, the driver waits there and takes you back when you want. Now, if there are 6 people and everyone wants a different departure time, you might have to do some compromising depending on how many cars and drivers are available that day.

It's a great place and just about my favorite beach in the Caribbean. Can't wait to see it again!