Another Gala Night Question

lvz2cruz

That's very odd. I was on the lower level of that same cruise and people were quite dressed up. I brought things that were less dressy but most would consider quite dressed up. I felt a little underdressed compared to some folks. I actually ate in the MDR. I usually eat earlier, between 6 and 6:30. Was this later at night that you noticed this?

I'm noticing over and over on cruise critic posters are doubting what people say unless they experience it themselves. It's extremely off putting. Pretty soon people will stop reporting anything.

I didn't ask for a sworn statement from posters. That's the difference. So are you saying no one should post an opinion on anything? It seems like a few think their opinions rule the roost around here and everyone will be bullied into agreeing. Pretty sad. Feel free to report my post. I wonder how long it will take for the 3 to show up now.

Edited by cruz chic

IMHO, smart casual every night would not please everyone either as there are a good number of people that still wish to dress up on occasion. It is a conundrum that is yet to be sorted out.

I agree with Cruise Chick here. HAL should discontinue encouraging people to dress more formal than the required "Smart Casual."

For people who want to dress nicer, there is absolutely no reason you can't do so on any night you want. But, the real problem is the concern about how others are dressed around you. I understand that no one wants to look out of place, but as long as others are following the dress code, there is no reason for concern.

Edited by Tom O.

Neither did I.

Cruise Chick and JTL513, just letting both of you know my post above had nothing to do with your disagreement. Your dispute occurred while I was responding to an earlier comment. But by the time I finished typing my post appeared right in the middle of no-mans-land.

I'm so confused abt how to handle gala nights. I'm primarily a princess cruiser' date=' a late traditional diner and a formal night fan. I wear long gowns for formal night. On my upcoming westerdam cruise I can't get traditional late because the Gospel Group onboard has been given the entire seating. So I'm relegated to as you wish (which I don't want as a solo traveler). No one really talks about how the ladies dress. And yes I know many mature ladies opt for a skirt or slack with a sparkly top. Is a gown over the top? Is a cocktail dress better? Maybe just a dressy well accessorized maxi?[/quote']

I think all of these options are fine, and appropriate. Fashion, and fashion blogs, are huge hobbies of mine so I maybe pay attention to this more than the average person. Think of ladies attire on gala nights as a spectrum. One one end of the spectrum you have long, formal gowns. On the other end (still meeting "gala" attire), you might have a nice skirt or even slacks, with a fancy top with beads or sparkles. You might even have a sundress, or daytime dress someone might wear to a church or bridal shower. You will see any and all of that. The majority of ladies will be in clothes they might wear to a nightime wedding.

My husband worked for a cruiseline for over a decade, so I happen to have a closet full of formal dresses. A cruise is pretty much the only place I can wear them these days, so I go towards that end of the spectrum. By contrast, we cruised a few years ago with my MIL, a retired lady who lives in Maine and has NO formal clothes, no need for cocktail clothes, etc. She wore a dress she saves for church one night, and pants and a nice top the next night. I dont judge what others wear because we are all different. We all have different tastes, different clothing budgets, and different lifestyles that call for different closets.

I think all of these options are fine, and appropriate. Fashion, and fashion blogs, are huge hobbies of mine so I maybe pay attention to this more than the average person. Think of ladies attire on gala nights as a spectrum. One one end of the spectrum you have long, formal gowns. On the other end (still meeting "gala" attire), you might have a nice skirt or even slacks, with a fancy top with beads or sparkles. You might even have a sundress, or daytime dress someone might wear to a church or bridal shower. You will see any and all of that. The majority of ladies will be in clothes they might wear to a nightime wedding.

My husband worked for a cruiseline for over a decade, so I happen to have a closet full of formal dresses. A cruise is pretty much the only place I can wear them these days, so I go towards that end of the spectrum. By contrast, we cruised a few years ago with my MIL, a retired lady who lives in Maine and has NO formal clothes, no need for cocktail clothes, etc. She wore a dress she saves for church one night, and pants and a nice top the next night. I dont judge what others wear because we are all different. We all have different tastes, different clothing budgets, and different lifestyles that call for different closets.

What a great post. It sums up pretty much how DH and I approach Gala night. If going to the MDR, we always dress as we would for fine dining on land (it doesn't take much to gussy up a bit;)) BUT we don't give a fig what anyone else is wearing. As long as we are comfortable in what we are wearing, that's what matters. I am probably a notch or two below your cruise gowns, as I opt for a cocktail dress and DH wears a dark suit. No point wasting your time on a cruise fussing about what others wear.

Edited by Lizzie68

Mightycruiseking was in the very minute group of men who wore tuxes on formal/gala nights on our October cruise, and we felt out of place in our formal clothing. For our upcoming back to back to back, I'm packing him some neckties to go with his dress shirts & slacks to really pull out all the stops :rolleyes: on gala nights. It's gotten to the point that you can just about wear your cleanest AC/DC t shirt on formal night.

I bolded part of your post as don't know what "Long Island style shirts" are, even though I'm from Long Island...:confused:

My DH is also from Long Island & never heard that expression before..:D

Can you enlighten us please..:)

BTW DH no longer wears his Tux, but does wear a suit on formal/Gala nights, although on our last long cruise he took both his suit & his TUX & wore both...

My post did not capitalize "long island-style" and was not referring to a style of clothing worn in New York. Members of a very large Asian tour Group took advantage of the change in HAL policy for Gala Nights and wore collared shirts with hems reaching mid-thigh. The colorful shirts did not have Hawaiian patterns but rather patterns I have seen worn by Pacific Island residents.

My apologies for offending anyone from NY. I should have said, "long Pacific-island-style" collared shirts.

BTW I wear a jacket to all MDR and Specialty Restaurant dinners.

My post did not capitalize "long island-style" and was not referring to a style of clothing worn in New York. Members of a very large Asian tour Group took advantage of the change in HAL policy for Gala Nights and wore collared shirts with hems reaching mid-thigh. The colorful shirts did not have Hawaiian patterns but rather patterns I have seen worn by Pacific Island residents.

My apologies for offending anyone from NY. I should have said, "long Pacific-island-style" collared shirts.

BTW I wear a jacket to all MDR and Specialty Restaurant dinners.unquote

OK...Just asking...Thanks for your reply..

You did not offend me...We've been away from Long Island for over 20 years... I just did not understand & thought that it may be a new style from our OLD Home State.. :D

More often than not, DH also wears either a Jacket or a Button Down Sweater to all MDR dinners, only because they keep those areas sooo cold..:eek: He also wears a jacket to all Speciality Restaurants..

Edited by serendipity1499