Drink packages on long cruises 20 days +

Hi.

We are going on a trans pacific cruise in October and was looking at the drink packages.

To purchase just one premium drink packages is well in excess of $1900 Aussie dollors.

Now the cruise cost this!! I don't think any drink package is worth this and that's a lot of alchole for one person to drink in a month.

does anyone have experience with how these packages are offered on the ship for longer cruises? are there buy ten drinks offered at a discount? Are the drink packages discounted?

Or are we going to need to fined alternative solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Sylva

You are not required to buy any package. For me, even on a short cruise, it just wouldn't be worth the cost. During the day, I'm perfectly happy with included beverages and rarely drink soda. Don't like coffee. In the afternoon, maybe a glass of wine on the balcony. Then a few cocktails in the CL or DL. Grab a glass of wine to take to dinner and I'm pretty much done for the day with perhaps the purchase of one more drink. Of course, many will take full advantage of what the packages offer, so for them it's totally worth the price.

Hi.

We are going on a trans pacific cruise in October and was looking at the drink packages.

To purchase just one premium drink packages is well in excess of $1900 Aussie dollors.

Now the cruise cost this!! I don't think any drink package is worth this and that's a lot of alchole for one person to drink in a month.

does anyone have experience with how these packages are offered on the ship for longer cruises? are there buy ten drinks offered at a discount? Are the drink packages discounted?

Or are we going to need to fined alternative solutions?

Thanks in advance.

Sylva

I would wait until you are onboard to purchase. Some ships have been experimenting with drink cards, but they not usually offered at the beginning of the cruise. I would seek out the bar manager (ask any bartender) and ask if they intend to offer the drink cards.

I already booked the package for my first ever cruise TA this April 14 nights. I know my husband will get full value - me not so sure.

The cost yes in excess of $1200 AUD each but DH argued it was worth the cost to stop me deciding what drink to have or not have!!! Also I got possibly a better exchange rate at the time I booked rather than now as we continue the slippery slide downwards with our AUS dollar and then there was the small price hike added after I booked (so minor I think it is 2 drinks total) :D

Obviously all of this was before I then starting hearing about the 10 drink vouchers and possibly some other options

So I have decided the following - on reading here in Cruise Critic RCI - I think I will leave the package in place enjoy the first few days and if I am not getting on with it, I will ask for a refund and pay all for all my drinks up to that date separately and from that point on.

I also think why the package might still work out is that when I check the current wine lists (hoping they are the same) the only white wine I could find that would be passable for me was on the $14 USD list - only four glasses in a day and I will have reached $80 AUD mark!! When adding the cost of bottled water which I drink constantly ---slip a few late coffees and baileys onto that I might be fine :eek:

Honestly have no idea if my TA will have the drinks cards and wish I knew that they would and I would be much happier to go down this route. But I doubt RCI are playing with the cards/package changes to my benefit all about profitability margins.

Just to let you know op - I understand your dilemma

I think I will leave the package in place enjoy the first few days and if I am not getting on with it, I will ask for a refund and pay all for all my drinks up to that date separately and from that point on.

Are you sure they will do this?

Are you sure they will do this?

I have been told by a few people that this was possible as long as I paid for all the drinks that have been recorded to date at the point I ask to change.

If not I will be wiser if I cruise again