Need Opinions on Hoboken Stay

#4'smom

We are a family of 8 adults sailing on Anthem in May. I have booked 2 rooms at San Carlos for 4 nights post cruise. When I contacted Dial 7, they quoted me over $500.00 to take us from Cape Liberty to San Carlos and then San Carlos to Newark airport? So hotel and transportation added up to $4500.00.

Tonight I came across a 4 bedroom house rental in Hoboken around Central Ave & 16th Street and they offer their own 15 passenger van shuttle service at a much more reasonable rate. I'm told that the bus is 2 blocks away at a cost of $3.00 per person one way to Manhattan Bus Transit Authority.

The house option would save us nearly $2000.00 (which would cover a lot of Anthem drink packages) 😜.

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if this area is as convenient to Manhattan as it seems? Is it a safe area?

We are a family of 8 adults sailing on Anthem in May. I have booked 2 rooms at San Carlos for 4 nights post cruise. When I contacted Dial 7' date=' they quoted me over $500.00 to take us from Cape Liberty to San Carlos and then San Carlos to Newark airport? So hotel and transportation added up to $4500.00.

Tonight I came across a 4 bedroom house rental in Hoboken around Central Ave & 16th Street and they offer their own 15 passenger van shuttle service at a much more reasonable rate. I'm told that the bus is 2 blocks away at a cost of $3.00 per person one way to Manhattan Bus Transit Authority.

The house option would save us nearly $2000.00 (which would cover a lot of Anthem drink packages) 😜.

I'm wondering if anyone could tell me if this area is as convenient to Manhattan as it seems? Is it a safe area?[/quote']

Lots of questions - please answer.

1). Exact dates - May 14-18?

2). Flying in and out of Newark- what are you doing precruise?

3). How many rooms do you need for 8 people and what bed configuration? Are sofa beds an option?

4). Can you manage your luggage? Would accessible public transit be an option?

5). What is the cost of the Hoboken rental?

6). What are your sightseeing objectives in NY? Are you all sticking together or will some folks be doing things independently.

7). All the financial details of your options would be helpful.

My preference would be to see you try to find something in the Newport area of Jersey City because of the more flexible transportation options via PATH and light rail and the overall ambiance.

PATH map - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Hudson Bergen light rail - https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Lots of questions - please answer.

1). Exact dates - May 14-18? Yes

2). Flying in and out of Newark- what are you doing precruise? Yes and staying @ Country Inn for 1 night

3). How many rooms do you need for 8 people and what bed configuration? Are sofa beds an option? 1 Queen Room & 1- 2 Queen Suite with Sofa Bed booked at San Carlos

4). Can you manage your luggage? Would accessible public transit be an option? Yes, we could manage luggage, if the route was easy

5). What is the cost of the Hoboken rental? $1975.00

6). What are your sightseeing objectives in NY? Are you all sticking together or will some folks be doing things independently. Yes, sticking together. We'll be focusing on New York....

7). All the financial details of your options would be helpful. San Carlos: $4175.00usd Dial 7: $510.00usd (2 trips) VS House: $1975.00usd Private 15 Passenger Van: $150.00usd (2 trips)

My preference would be to see you try to find something in the Newport area of Jersey City because of the more flexible transportation options via PATH and light rail and the overall ambiance.

PATH map - http://www.panynj.gov/path/maps.html

Hudson Bergen light rail - https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

Thank you 138east for replying, I was really hoping you would. Months ago I looked at the hotels in the Newport area but thought for the small cost difference between there and San Carlos, we would stay in Manhattan. However, that was months ago when our Canadian $ was doing much better. Now we have to add 40% extra to all trip costs.

Within our family, 6 of us have been to New York before. I am not concerned about daytime commuting, its the late evenings that I'm worried about. So far our evening activities are as follows: Comedy Cellar & School of Rock.

Are you familiar with the Hoboken area that the house is located in?

Thank you 138east for replying' date=' I was really hoping you would. Months ago I looked at the hotels in the Newport area but thought for the small cost difference between there and San Carlos, we would stay in Manhattan. However, that was months ago when our Canadian $ was doing much better. Now we have to add 40% extra to all trip costs.

Within our family, 6 of us have been to New York before. I am not concerned about daytime commuting, its the late evenings that I'm worried about. So far our evening activities are as follows: Comedy Cellar & School of Rock.

Are you familiar with the Hoboken area that the house is located in?[/quote']

Could you provide more details on your possible rental? 16th & Central is in Union City, not Hoboken. I find it a bit offputting that they are marketing the rental as "Hoboken" and are not being honest about its actual location.I have not been to that area for many years, so I can't really comment. Perhaps others have current knowledge of the area.

Meanwhile, please reprice the Doubletree, Courtyard, and Candlewood Suites for your group for your dates.

#4'smom ~

As Carol (138east) noted, the address you posted is definitely in Union City, not in Hoboken. I haven't been up there in some years; as I recall (aided by a quick look around the neighborhood on Google Streetview), it's a fairly pleasant although not scenic residential area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7633528,-74.0384416,3a,75y,276.59h,90.11t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0QizdnCX8kFo2QASPAxqIA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

In any case, however, this is a far less convenient location for traveling back & forth to Manhattan and to Bayonne than would be an actual Hoboken or Jersey City address. From what I can figure out using the New Jersey Transit online travel planner, the trip into and out of Manhattan would involve a change of bus en route. (There might well be a direct bus, as you have been told, but I haven't been able to find the route or any information.) Personally, I would be somewhat hesitant about renting a house in this location, simply because of the logistics.

The Jersey City/ Newport hotels recommended by Carol are all in excellent locations, with easy travel options to/from Manhattan. If any of those hotels have rooms that suit your budget, I would not hesitate to book them.

Stay at EWR and Uber to NYC.

HOboken can get randy esprcially on the weekends

No doubt some guys get randy, and some get rowdy.;) After all, there is a bar scene in this mile-square town, with the attendant Saturday-night randiness and occasional rowdiness among certain bar-hoppers. But Hoboken is a highly gentrified town now, home to upwardly mobile young families (Walls Street types and other professionals) living in upscale brownstones and expensive waterfront condos. There are numerous restaurants, and a modern high-rise W hotel overlooking the Hudson. I've never encountered any trouble in Hoboken, day or night--but alas, my randy and rowdy days are long past.:D

In any case, I wouldn't hesitate to stay in Hoboken, and I'd certainly prefer to be here than at a Newark Airport hotel.

No doubt some guys get randy, and some get rowdy.;) After all, there is a bar scene in this mile-square town, with the attendant Saturday-night randiness and occasional rowdiness among certain bar-hoppers. But Hoboken is a highly gentrified town now, home to upwardly mobile young families (Walls Street types and other professionals) living in upscale brownstones and expensive waterfront condos. There are numerous restaurants, and a modern high-rise W hotel overlooking the Hudson. I've never encountered any trouble in Hoboken, day or night--but alas, my randy and rowdy days are long past.:D

In any case, I wouldn't hesitate to stay in Hoboken, and I'd certainly prefer to be here than at a Newark Airport hotel.

Ditto. One of my friend's sons is part of the young demographic living in Hoboken and I would certainly always prefer not having to stay at Newark Airport!