Early Saver or Past Guest Rate

JKCruisin

We recently booked a Carnival cruise through our TA on the past guest rate. I just saw that Carnival is offering what would amount to be a $50 onboard credit for the early saver rate for our cruise. Contacted my TA and was told that we couldn't apply for this credit since we booked as past guest. Question: What is your experience with these rates? I definitely want to take advantage of any incentives like this or price drops. I'm a little bummed that I missed this deal. Do you typically book as past guest or use the early saver rate?

We recently booked a Carnival cruise through our TA on the past guest rate. I just saw that Carnival is offering what would amount to be a $50 onboard credit for the early saver rate for our cruise. Contacted my TA and was told that we couldn't apply for this credit since we booked as past guest. Question: What is your experience with these rates? I definitely want to take advantage of any incentives like this or price drops. I'm a little bummed that I missed this deal. Do you typically book as past guest or use the early saver rate?

You can certainly change from past guest to early saver, if you wish (I just did so). With past guest, you can get price drops up until the final payments by changing to the new rate type (PG to ES for example). With ES, you get price drops up until 2 days prior to sailing.

There are differences in the refund policies between the two rate types. Just do your research and make the change if you wish. I would say that if your TA won't accommodate you, it's time for a new TA.

If you are seeing the Early Saver offer that means you're not past final payment date yet.

You can switch any time you see a lower fare for your booking and there are still cabins in your category available.

Your TA is either new, lazy or doesn't want to give up their commission.

I generally go past guest as it gives me maximum flexibility to cancel and reschedule. I am now booked on the Sunshine for Thanksgiving week of 2017, and I need not worry about losing my 50 per person cancellation fee if the airfare turns out to be too crazy.

My travel agent has responded and offered to change my rate to the early saver. The only issue is that my deposit that I will put down for the early saver rate is not refundable unless it is a covered event under my trip insurance. So in other words, if I choose to use the early saver, I will lose my deposit if I have to cancel. Past Guest allows me to cancel at any time, for any reason, and get my deposit back if I cancel before my balance is due.

That is correct, make the right choice for whats better for you. Early saver is awesome, b/c your price protected up until 2 days of the cruise. If you know you are going, then just get the vacation protection god forbid their is any surprises.

My travel agent has responded and offered to change my rate to the early saver. The only issue is that my deposit that I will put down for the early saver rate is not refundable unless it is a covered event under my trip insurance. So in other words, if I choose to use the early saver, I will lose my deposit if I have to cancel. Past Guest allows me to cancel at any time, for any reason, and get my deposit back if I cancel before my balance is due.

You should double check this. This is directly from the Carnival website:

A $50 change fee per guest will be assessed for ship and/or sail date changes made prior to final payment due date. Remaining funds are nonrefundable/nontransferable and will be held as a future cruise credit to be applied to your cruise fare on a sailing within 24 months from the date of cancellation. Unused portions are forfeited.

Edited by WendyVF