Experienced winter cruisers, need advice please

imnance

That's if Jetblue website does not stop working, issues last week, data center lost power. ;)

:mad: Our internet has been out all day, so I can relate.

Anyway, it looks like we are going to miss this particular storm. I have high hopes it won't be necessary to be calling Jet Blue in two weeks, but you never know.

• 1 month later...

We are not due to cruise until January 2017, but this thread has got me thinking!

We arrive into JFK on 19 January, via LAX, from Australia. Then we spend a few days in NYC with friends (who we met on a cruise!). I need to be in FLL by 24 January, with the ship departing at 4.00pm.

At this stage I am considering 2 options to try to minimize the impact of bad weather.

I book a flight from JFK to FLL on Sunday 22 January, giving me a bit of flexibility if the airport is closed or flights are delayed (I am assuming the airline will re-book free of charge if the flight is cancelled/delayed). Unfortunately the ticket is non refundable, so I can't book and cancel closer to the time of departure, on a voluntary basis, if the weather looks suspect.

Or

I book a sleeper on the Amtrak from NYC to FLL, departing Sunday 22 January and arriving in the afternoon of 23 January, It takes about 26 hours, but as far as I have been able to tell, trains are rarely delayed due to weather. I can't book this as a contingency as it is also non refundable when booked in Australia.

What is your advice? Perhaps there are better options than the ones I have considered? We would be flying business/first with Delta so if there are delays, it is likely that we would be given preference for re-routing or re-booking in the event of bad weather?

Any other time of the year, I would normally fly in the day before the cruise departs!

We are not due to cruise until January 2017, but this thread has got me thinking!

We arrive into JFK on 19 January, via LAX, from Australia. Then we spend a few days in NYC with friends (who we met on a cruise!). I need to be in FLL by 24 January, with the ship departing at 4.00pm.

At this stage I am considering 2 options to try to minimize the impact of bad weather.

I book a flight from JFK to FLL on Sunday 22 January, giving me a bit of flexibility if the airport is closed or flights are delayed (I am assuming the airline will re-book free of charge if the flight is cancelled/delayed). Unfortunately the ticket is non refundable, so I can't book and cancel closer to the time of departure, on a voluntary basis, if the weather looks suspect.

Or

I book a sleeper on the Amtrak from NYC to FLL, departing Sunday 22 January and arriving in the afternoon of 23 January, It takes about 26 hours, but as far as I have been able to tell, trains are rarely delayed due to weather. I can't book this as a contingency as it is also non refundable when booked in Australia.

What is your advice? Perhaps there are better options than the ones I have considered? We would be flying business/first with Delta so if there are delays, it is likely that we would be given preference for re-routing or re-booking in the event of bad weather?

Any other time of the year, I would normally fly in the day before the cruise departs!

Unfortunately I have no magic solution for your dilemma. If it were me, I'd skip the train option. You are booking a plane option to go over two days ahead. If there's a giant storm, it isn't going to arrive without some notice. Airlines have been known to waive change fees in the face of a big storm to get people out before the storm arrives.

Are you buying trip insurance? I actually used it last year when I went on the Quantum out of Bayonne. It was snowing when we docked, but it was a "blizzard" in Boston. I made it to Boston on the train, but couldn't get out to my house safely. The insurance covered the hotel and meals.

Your cruise leaves from FLL, but what is the next port? Trip insurance will help get you wherever you need to go to continue your vacation.

Unfortunately I have no magic solution for your dilemma. If it were me, I'd skip the train option. You are booking a plane option to go over two days ahead. If there's a giant storm, it isn't going to arrive without some notice. Airlines have been known to waive change fees in the face of a big storm to get people out before the storm arrives.

Are you buying trip insurance? I actually used it last year when I went on the Quantum out of Bayonne. It was snowing when we docked, but it was a "blizzard" in Boston. I made it to Boston on the train, but couldn't get out to my house safely. The insurance covered the hotel and meals.

Your cruise leaves from FLL, but what is the next port? Trip insurance will help get you wherever you need to go to continue your vacation.

Yes we will have trip insurance so that will always be a back up.

I am looking at the "sleeper bedroom" on Amtrak, so that seems to have a bit of room for 2 people and there is a dining car to spend a few hours. Do you have any experience with that? I know it does seem a little odd to be considering a 26 hour train trip compared to a few hours flight, but it could avoid angst at the last minute?

I have been stranded twice in the USA with weather events and both experiences were very stressful. I had to connect with international flights back to Australia and getting hold of the airlines was so difficult, with phone lines incredibly busy. I remember getting up at 3.00am to get through!

In this case, we are doing a 27 night Caribbean cruise and the first few ports are Cap Cana, Dominion Republic, then Spanish Town Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands, then Basseterre, St Kitts and Nevis. I have no idea how I would get to any of those places to join the ship! I will have to check if there are airports.

Kirby from Aussie - Greetings.

Just a quick comment on Amtrak travel - both the roomette and larger BR will have one of you using the upper bunk to sleep, the $300 price difference is mainly for the enclosed small bathroom. Either one will have plenty of legroom to sitback, relax & stretch in day mode. If you can avoid doing #2 in the roomette (or, your partner take a walk or stretch outside - and, pack a small bottle of air freshener or deodorizing spray) - pocket the savings & pamper yourself with a nicer hotel once in FTL (FLL)

27 hours overnighting on a long distance train isn't bad for under $600 USD one-way for 2, much less than 2 business/first air tickets and the uncertainly of smacking against any unforeseen winter snow storm that can disrupt air travel. DL will issue waivers & take care of its J/F flyers first with WX but next available flights might be 2 days later (flights on other carriers will be packed with re-routed pax as well - hence, this isn't a bad idea at all.) You do NOT want to take long distance buses for this.

On the other hand, JFK is one of the major hub on the east coast for DL and airport operations are quite good, 2 long runways that usually stay open unless it's a major blizzard - getting to/from is another story, sometimes - when train tracks are frozen or with signal problems.

Edited by mking8288

Mking8288 thanks for your comments!

Can you tell me if the long distance trains are often delayed due to weather, you mentioned ice on the tracks and signal problems. The only reason I would take the train is to avoid the possibility of flight cancellations but if the trains are susceptible to weather dramas as well, I might as well take my chances with the Delta flight.

Mking8288 thanks for your comments!

Can you tell me if the long distance trains are often delayed due to weather, you mentioned ice on the tracks and signal problems ... I might as well take my chances with the Delta flight.

Amtrak's delays aren't so bad - it's the local intra-city "commuter" trains that are problems, like the LIRR in NY Penn Station to Jamaica, NY for the JFK AirTrain connection - those aging infrastrucutre are prone to delays & problems in bad, severe weather conditions (i.e. snow in excess of 12" accumulation coupled with icing ... then they can't keep up, even with specially equipped trains running. Track signal problems are unpredictable on local commuter lines, but are relatively "rare" on long distance Amtrak trains like the 2 runs on yours. As Carol/138east, it would take a major blizzard/snowstorm to shut down the railways/railroads - delays, maybe but far less likely to be stranded for several days going nowhere.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube on riding those overnight trains, including the roomette - go search & get some virtual views, tons of legroom & space to take advantage - and you get to walk around without bumping into everyone else, plus 3 meals included & the lounge car to buy snacks (I would pickup some "goodies" locally in NYC & take them along ... things like cookies, chips & pastries, fresh fruits, etc.) and you have red cap/porter's assistance in the NY Penn train station.

You might want to check to see if you are eligible for any train discount on fares (tourist promo, AAA-equivalent or seniors/AARP, etc.) before booking it.

Downside, you have a long, long haul flight with major "jetlag" flying into NYC and only get to stay/visit here for a little over 2 days - to transition into our timezone while sightseeing, then pack & go for train travel (good that you are flying in the forward cabin ... one of my SIL is actually in SYD now, enjoying the summer weather & flew flight DL #41 outbound & would be on #40 on her return on the A330, sometimes flown on the B772's)

Happy planning & cruising.

Edited by mking8288

and you get to walk around without bumping into everyone else, plus 3 meals included & the lounge car to buy snacks (I would pickup some "goodies" locally in NYC & take them along ... things like cookies, chips & pastries, fresh fruits, etc.) and you have red cap/porter's assistance in the NY Penn train station.

Sleeping Car passengers have access to the Acela Lounge at NY Penn Station as well. Enjoy complimentary non-alcoholic beverages and snacks, Internet access, fax and photocopy services, conference room access, newspapers, periodicals and television. Attendants are available to assist with reservations, ticketing and local information.

https://www.amtrak.com/station-lounges

There's another way to look at it - train travel from NY to Florida will take you along much of the east coast of the US. It's a travel opportunity, not a loss.

When I went to Australia I deliberately took the overnight train from Adelaide to Sydney because I wanted to see the Outback. I did it sitting up in coach and it was a wonderful trip that took me places I would never have seen otherwise.

Thanks to all for your advice. Normally I wouldn't even consider a train trip, particularly for such a long distance, so it is making the decision quite difficult for me.

However I think the risk of potential delays in air travel in January is probably going to swing me over to Amtrak.

Also, I have looked at the Amtrak website and You Tube videos, and the sleeper bedroom looks to be quite comfortable. My husband is keen on the opportunity to see the countryside from the perspective of train travel.

No doubt we will be tired from our long flights from Australia a few days earlier, as well as time with our friends in NYC, so perhaps we can convert the beds on the train a little earlier and nap during the day!

I have always believed that travel is about trying new experiences, so I guess it is time to put that belief into practice!

Thanks to all for your advice. Normally I wouldn't even consider a train trip, particularly for such a long distance, so it is making the decision quite difficult for me.

However I think the risk of potential delays in air travel in January is probably going to swing me over to Amtrak.

Also, I have looked at the Amtrak website and You Tube videos, and the sleeper bedroom looks to be quite comfortable. My husband is keen on the opportunity to see the countryside from the perspective of train travel.

No doubt we will be tired from our long flights from Australia a few days earlier, as well as time with our friends in NYC, so perhaps we can convert the beds on the train a little earlier and nap during the day!

I have always believed that travel is about trying new experiences, so I guess it is time to put that belief into practice!

It is my understanding that Amtrak experiences delays due to freight trains having the right of way on many of the tracks they share. From the Amtrak site for the month of February 2016 the on time performance for the train from NYC to Miami was 54%. I could not find the amount of time in hours/minutes trains were late. Just wanted to make you aware.

It is my understanding that Amtrak experiences delays due to freight trains having the right of way on many of the tracks they share. From the Amtrak site for the month of February 2016 the on time performance for the train from NYC to Miami was 54%. I could not find the amount of time in hours/minutes trains were late. Just wanted to make you aware.

Goodness! That is a bit of a concern. I'll try to do some more research on that. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Goodness! That is a bit of a concern. I'll try to do some more research ...

I've been looking at recent history on Amtrak #91 and #97 - Silver Star & Silver Meteor (Dining Car) on-time performance between NYP and FTR ... yes, it's delayed often (mostly on tracks shared by CSX Railroad that owned/use it for freight movement ... but they are nothing compared to airline delays & cancellations (and, I've been stranded sitting on the tarmac for 2 to 3 hours, after on-time departure as measured by pushback at the gate - only to be held due to weather, air traffic management and for mechanical issues)

Delays up to 1 hour or 2 hours can be expected sometimes, but nothing significantly worse - and, I believe Amtrak have their own major weather/blizzard contingency plans in effect ahead of a serious storm.

Yesterday, it departed from NY on time & arrived 90 minutes late in FTR - see here https://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak (but, you are traveling downtown to almost downtown - not 60 to 90 minutes away at the airport)

Here's a blog from a travel writer of her experience riding along the route in a sleeper, northbound from FL to NY - http://www.cruisemaven.com/riding-the-rails-overnight-on-amtrak-from-florida-to-new-york-city/

Thanks again for your comments. I have taken the plunge and booked a sleeper bedroom on the Silver Meteor. My research also showed on time performance to be a be a bit suspect, but it looks to be only a hour or two at most. That is fine for me for this trip. My main concern has always been ensuring I get away from New York, in the event of bad weather and the train gives me more certainty than a flight.

So, I will definitely report back after the trip on my experience. Now the decision has been made I feel quite keen on trying something new. By the time I read a book, chat to new friends, go to the dining car a few times, watch the scenery, sleep etc, I am sure the time will go by quickly!

It will probably be a picture perfect day in NYC the day I leave !! Ha ha