Cave Tubing with limited walking?

DM_KidAtHeart

My mom and I would love to do a cave tubing excursion while in Belize (on Liberty OTS in April). But all the RCI excursions that involve cave tubing, also seem to also have long walks in the jungle. My mom walks with a walking stick and does not walk fast enough to keep with a group like this. We have done mountain walks together in the Smokys. So it's not the actual walk that's the problem, it's just the pace. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions for us?

I would suggest contacting a private vendor such as cavetubing dot bz. We have used them twice now. They usually have excellent communication by email. I would tell them your situation and state walking is fine and that it's just the "pace" that could become an issue.

The two times we have went...the first time, my daughter at the time was 3 years old. Obviously little legs don't go fast. They took it at a slow pace. We also had an "older" couple, one who had knee surgery prior, and we all did great at the pace he had us go.

The second time, my daughter was 5 and had picked up the pace, but my grandson (who is also 5) was a slow "complainer-walker", so we had to go slower as well.

So they will tailor the walk and pace to your needs.

Also, there are two places to get into the water. If your mother feels that the walk is too much, they could have you guys get in at the first stop. They are wonderful people and give an excellent tour. Also along the walk, there are plenty of opportunities that they stop to show you things and tell you about the rain forest that you are walking in. It's so very interesting things, so you are stopping along the way. They also carry your tubes for you so you don't have to worry about that.

I have 2 reviews in my signature line with tons of pictures from our walk if you are interested. :)

I did a cavetubing.bz excursion. Here are some photos that you can show your Mom to determine if she would be comfortable with this. i think the pace would be okay as by the time we got to the river's edge we had a stall as they got everyone situated and tied off so there is time to catch up.

It may cost you more money but it may be worth paying for a private guide who will take it at YOUR pace rather than trying to stay with a pack of people.

You make your way down some wet stairs to the edge of the river where you cross the river with the assistance of a rope.

23877079154_d783d1dcd1.jpgJade cruise by Rachel G, on Flickr

23878494493_c4b0563cbb.jpgJade cruise by Rachel G, on Flickr

We then had a fairly lengthy trek over some moderate terrain.

24209743490_bcaf951f97.jpgJade cruise by Rachel G, on Flickr