Book direct or with travel agent?

NoName

I usually book all my cruises directly with the cruiseline, but happened to stumble across a great rate with an online travel agent so booked with them. I booked the cruise on Sunday late afternoon after picking out my rooms. I was told I would receive a confirmation on Monday. I received 2 verbal confirmation numbers for both cabins.

I called them today because despite receiving two "thanks for booking emails", I did not receive either confirmation. While on the phone, I discovered that the rooms we booked were not the rooms we were given. They were going to have to wait for MSC to open to try to get our rooms changed.

It seemed annoying having to deal with the middleman....so I said I would prefer to handle this myself and asked to cancel. They then tell me they still have to wait for MSC to open to get the paperwork to cancel, they are going to email it to me and then I have to fill it out and email it back. So annoying....

Anyhow, if the speed of the confirmation letter is anything to go by, it may be days before I get the cancellation paperwork to fill out...So, I am going to call MSC when they open and try to make another reservation so I can be assured to get the cabins I want. Will they let me make another reservation on the same ship for the same people while I wait for the cancellation process of the travel agent?

I am also curious, when dealing with MSC do you book directly, or do you use a travel agent? Any pros/cons you would like to share that are unique to MSC?

Kim

Just in case anyone wondered...MSC did let me make another reservation for the same ship with the same passengers. I have started the paperwork to cancel with the online agency....However, when I read it, it said there is a $50 cancellation fee! I had asked about this specifically prior to booking and was told there were NO fees until after final payment! I wrote that I did NOT accept this fee....I will see what happens...

Kim

Why draw all this hassle on yourself?

Let the TA earn their commission and work on your behalf to get what you want.

Looks like you will be down USD50 (and that could be pp) and have the hassle of doing the rebooking!

I have booked direct with MSC on both past cruises as l prefer not to trust my money or holidays to a middleman. However, for our upcoming cruise, l got a deal with a travel agent that l could not get even remotely close to booking direct. Confirmation email with booking reference came through within a few hours. Room allocated next working day when MSC got back to them. Hoping everything else goes smoothly. Ken

I got a better rate from MSC since I have booked before I received an additional 5% off

I checked with 3 online companies some were off by anywhere from $50-$350 I did include all perks😀

I also get 5% and saved over $300 on a YCI with the $300 OBC. It.s too bad we can't name them on here.

I always book direct now. Had hassle around 8 years ago with a famous UK TA who subsequently went bust.

Don't see much advantages over here in using them, compared to the benefit of being able to deal direct with MSC.

You also have to,pay the final balance earlier when booking with a TA as they ask for payment anything from 2 to 4 weeks earlier than when it is actually due.

Edited by AmoMondo

With the hassles I have had trying to reach someone at MSC on the phone (1 hour wait, 30 minute wait, auto hang-ups) and with the difficulty of getting the Loyalty Match, I would absolutely use a TA next time. They could take all that hassle away from me!

I have, in the past, booked direct and with TA.... something to be said for both. I do, however, like the perks I often get with a TA. :)

I have found an online TA that is very good and have used a number of times. Typically, I grab the cabin I want from a cruise line web page. Then I transfer it to the agent who gives me some OBC. This is my first cruise with MSC. The agent offered a discount, so I just booked straight with them since there were very few cabins left at the 2 for 1 balcony rate.

I chose to book directly and I am SO pleased with our MSC agent- she has called me back in a timely manner and handled everything perfectly. :) She has also answered every question or concern I have! Here is her info in case anyone is interested-Maria Mallari

Personal Vacation Consultant

MSC Cruises (USA) Inc.

6750 North Andrews Avenue, Suite 100

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

Email: Maria.Mallari@msccruisesusa.com

Toll Free : 1877-665-4655

http://www.MSCCruisesUSA.com