Esta Application Question

T4T

Its our 1st cruise around the Caribbean and my question is as a holder of a full british passport when I apply online for the Esta do I say that im staying in USA and name the pre cruise hotel or am I in transit to another country. The cruise starts and ends in Ft Lauderdale but visits Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Haiti so outside the USA?

thanks for your help

:)

I also hold a European Passport and was told that as long as I bring my passport and proof of US residency (green card) I should be okay. My husband is a US citizen, so I was told to also bring a copy of the marriage license.

This is our first cruise, so I really have no idea if this is accurate, but that is what was stated by the booking agent. I am curious to see other responses to this question.

T4T...just realized that this is not the question you are asking at all. I suppose your passport should be enough. My bad.

Edited by BrushedNickel

Its our 1st cruise around the Caribbean and my question is as a holder of a full british passport when I apply online for the Esta do I say that im staying in USA and name the pre cruise hotel or am I in transit to another country. The cruise starts and ends in Ft Lauderdale but visits Grand Cayman, Jamaica and Haiti so outside the USA?

thanks for your help

:)

Name the hotel you're staying at in the US. Stating that you are in transit will complicate things for you. The ESTA is valid for 2 years and will keep your original information on it. So anytime in the next 2 years when you wish to enter the US, it will say that you are on your way to those islands.

The ESTA gets you into the US, you make a closed loop cruise and back to Fort Lauderdale.

Yes I've had two ESTA now you just put down where you are staying in USA , they don't care where you once you leave the country. If you are flying into Miami, they have electronic kiosks where you enter all your details and scan your passport, much faster than queueing to see a living person, hundreds of people pass through passport at anyone time so extremely busy. There are usually airport officials who direct you, Be aware that they call the ESTA = visa waiver programme, but you should see them straight away, I think they are on your left as you enter. Also read each screen carefully, if you make a mistake they reject you and you have to go queue up to get it all sorted ☺ have lots of fun.

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as transit in the USA. Even if you just spend a few hours at the Miami airport while transiting from South America via Miami to Europe, you have to officially enter and leave the USA. Also there are no transit lounges at US airports.

Yes, you need ESTA, fill in your first hotel and it doesn't matter that a year from now it may be a different hotel. ESTA is valid for 2 years in conjunction with your passport number. European friends told me that the first hotel is not a required field on the ESTA application. Some of them left it off without problems.