Alaska Dilema: "Modern Luxury" or Princess "Come Back From the Old Ship"

need2cruisesoon

Need some help as I am not very good at making decisions, especially with the 2 cruises I am considering.

Living in the SF Bay area and looking at a June cruise on the Grand Princess out of SF for my 14 yo son and myself ( I did Alaska in '09 on the Serenade of the Seas).

Grand Princess

What I like about this cruise:

- no flying

- sailing out of the bay and under the Golden Gate

- 10 days of cruise bliss versus 7.

Not liking this:

- old Grand Princess

- reading reviews of bad food, old rusty ship that creaks and groans on the open water.

- I know I should be concerned more about the itinerary versus the ship but can't

- either 5 star reviews or 1 Star - all over the board with this ship...

Cost - Balcony right around $5K

AFT110lg.jpg

Modern Luxury (Solstice):

What I like:

-beautiful ship (did the Silhouette over this past summer and loved her)

- 2 perks to choose with Balcony ( I choose drink package and $300 OBC).

- Seattle is a great town from what I hear and could take and extra day or two to explore.

- This review from Loutheglue has me stoked:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2230637&highlight=solstice

What I don't like:

- flying (2 hrs to Sea-Tac from Oak)

- schlepping luggage to the airport and dealing with airports.

- $500 for flights

- $200 for hotel the night before the cruise.

Cost - $4500 for Sunset aft balcony

Plus $500 for airfare for the both of us and $200 overnight at hotel. So $5,000-$5200.

SEA_KTN_TFJ_JNU_SGY_XIP_YVJ_SEA_430x330.png

Any recommendations from all would be appreciated.

Thank You!

Having been to Alaska before, are there any ports or activities that you are especially excited to share with your son? If yes, then maybe see if one itinerary or the other has a longer port time for that.

I haven't been on either and can definitely see the dilemma. One thing I noticed was that you'd get $300.00 OBC for the Celebrity cruise, so even though it might cost slightly more on the front end, it would balance out if you could use that OBC for an excursion.

The Solstice has one of the weaker itineraries out there. It surprises me that they put their best ship with a weak itinerary. Not only that, they usually have their best naturalist on this ship.

What is the Grand itinerary? The map is a little confusing...

Edited by Coral

I hear and for this year I have booked and cancelled both Celebrity and Princess. Love Celebrity but the Itinerary just doesn't have the excitement that Princess does. I want to see Glacier Bay, so then it had to be between Coral and Island. Coral dates didnt work as well as Island, so despite the changes, Island it was.

If it is any consolation, our roll call is 'full' of Celebrity lovers who are using Princess to cruise Alaska.

We have to travel for 20 hours anyway so that didnt come into the equation. And I wouldn't sacrifice something I wanted to see for it either. Maybe check into the Ports a bit more.

Edited by Pushka

Got it.

So Glacier Bay is a better option than Icy Point.

The only Princess ship out of Seattle that does GB is the Crown, I will look at that sailing for sure. Thanks for the info.

Also, only one sea day on Princess virus 2 on X.

I think Princess goes to both Glacier Bay and Icy Strait. Really it is Glacier Bay vs. Tracy Arm, and IMHO Glacier Bay wins hands down.

We are doing Alaska this may on Celebrity Millennium -- yes it is an older ship, but she'll be coming out of dry dock a few weeks before we cruise and I'm sure will be in great shape!

Consider this itinerary as it give you SO MUCH MORE ALASKA than what a round trip cruise can give you and although it is only a 7 night cruise it is easy to add on a few nights exploring Vancouver and some time post cruise in Alaska. To REALLY experience Alaska you need to go up into the heartland. I've land traveled it before.

Vancouver

Inside Passage

Ketchikan

Icy Straight Point

Juneau

Skagway

Hubbard Glacier - which I've been told by someone who saw both that this is better than Glacier Bay -- I've not seen both myself

Seward

A fourteen yr old would be an awesome travel mate during an Alaskan cruise! I say if you are going - then really GO!!!!!

Edited by Jane2357

Got it.

HANDS DOWN. (Icy Point isn't a glacier - some people might try to equate Tracy Arm or Hubbard Glacier - only one is a World Heritage Site - Glacier Bay.).

For the Record, I loved the Tracy Arm Excursion, but it isn't Glacier Bay.

For the Record, I loved the Tracy Arm Excursion, but it isn't Glacier Bay.

Yes - though Tracy Arm can be missed (even the small boats can miss it). Glacier Bay is not. I have missed Tracy Arm 4x, 2x on small boat.

Hubbard Glacier - which I've been told by someone who saw both that this is better than Glacier Bay -- I've not seen both myself

It is a matter of personal preference, so neither is really "better." Having said that, many cruise ships only get miles from Hubbard Glacier at times. So you are in no way guaranteed to even get a good view of Hubbard.

Also, Glacier Bay is a national park for a reason ;)

It is a matter of personal preference, so neither is really "better." Having said that, many cruise ships only get miles from Hubbard Glacier at times. So you are in no way guaranteed to even get a good view of Hubbard.

Also, Glacier Bay is a national park for a reason ;)

That is true, one time I was 9 miles out from Hubbard which is barely visible even with binoculars. Hubbard can be hit or miss. Hubbard is a larger glacier but I like the mixture of glaciers at Glacier Bay and I like that it never seems to be missed.

Edited by Coral

Got it.

The only Princess ship out of Seattle that does GB is the Crown, I will look at that sailing for sure. Thanks for the info.

Also, only one sea day on Princess virus 2 on X.

I have been on both the Grand and the Crown, and honestly, I prefer the Grand, mainly for the covered pool and better layout of the Lido deck in general. I did not find the Grand to be "old". I do slightly prefer the Star & Golden due to some upgrades, but the Grand is fine.

On the Crown itinerary out of Seattle, it does only list one sea day, but you essentially get more than that. You are out of Ketchikan around 1 PM, so the rest of the day is like a sea day, then the following day you don't get into Victoria until 7 PM, so that's mostly a sea day too.

I'm happy to answer and questions about the Grand/Crown or the Seattle/GB itinerary, since I've done it 4 times.

We are doing Alaska this may on Celebrity Millennium -- yes it is an older ship, but she'll be coming out of dry dock a few weeks before we cruise and I'm sure will be in great shape!

Consider this itinerary as it give you SO MUCH MORE ALASKA than what a round trip cruise can give you and although it is only a 7 night cruise it is easy to add on a few nights exploring Vancouver and some time post cruise in Alaska. To REALLY experience Alaska you need to go up into the heartland. I've land traveled it before.

Vancouver

Inside Passage

Ketchikan

Icy Straight Point

Juneau

Skagway

Seward

A fourteen yr old would be an awesome travel mate during an Alaskan cruise! I say if you are going - then really GO!!!!!

I don't see the Millennium in for dry dock anytime soon, did you mean her sister ships Infinity and Summit? Right?

I don't see the Millennium in for dry dock anytime soon, did you mean her sister ships Infinity and Summit? Right?

Millie will be in dry dock starting April 27 in Vancouver. I believe they will be installing the outdoor, deck 12, movie screen and seating, along with other general maintenance.

She will be looking good when we hop on May 27th. So WHAT DID YOU DECIDE?

Edited by Jane2357

Millie will be in dry dock starting April 27 in Vancouver. I believe they will be installing the outdoor, deck 12, movie screen and seating, along with other general maintenance.

She will be looking good when we hop on May 27th. So WHAT DID YOU DECIDE?

Even though the itinerary is somewhat weak we decided on the Solstice for early June. (6/3)

We'll save the north-south trip for another time.

My son wants to spend a couple days in Seattle post cruise plus I like the S Class ships.

Thanks for all the opinions.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

I have been both to Hubbard and Glacier Bay. Hubbard is very large and

I saw some good calving there. Glacier Bay is many glaciers plus a whole

landscape almost surreal in it's beauty. Absolute must see, and would be

fantastic if there were no glaciers there. Just stunning.

Princess, hands down!