Victoria bc

golfer1903

If you take a shortcut instead of following the shoreline it takes about 20 minutes to walk to the Empress from the dock.

But if you have a nice day, take the scenic route and stop at the halfway point which is the Fishermans Wharf .... houseboats, restaurants, shops, sealife. If you don't want to walk the rest of the way, you can hop onto the little putt-putt ferry to the harbor.

Maps in this link if you want to do the scenic route or a shortcut.

http://fishermanswharfvictoria.com/page/gettinghere

Can you walk from the ship port of ncl in Victoria bc to the downtown area and if so how far is it?

Docking 630pm

Thoughts...

• 6:30pm dock.... would that be 7pm for the first walkoffs?
  • the streets are residential from the terminal to the downtown/harbor.
  • From another post, I think you will be in Victoria around May 21st. Sunset that day will be around 9pm.

Thoughts...

• 6:30pm dock.... would that be 7pm for the first walkoffs?
  • the streets are residential from the terminal to the downtown/harbor.
  • From another post, I think you will be in Victoria around May 21st. Sunset that day will be around 9pm.

Yeah, I walked from the Empress back to the ship, took awhile to get there, to the ship that is.:rolleyes:

Depending on how much of a walker you are, it's totally possible to walk but even if you walk quickly you're looking at about half an hour minimum. It's about 2 km (a mile). You can cut through the streets a bit rather than following the David Foster Walkway (which if you have time, is gorgeous).

That all said, they run a free cruise ship shuttle bus from Ogden Point (where the ships dock) into downtown so that option might be better.

"That all said, they run a free cruise ship shuttle bus from Ogden Point (where the ships dock) into downtown so that option might be better."

When did the free shuttle start - I have never seen a free shuttle any time I have been to Ogden Point and that includes in September of last year.

Cheers!

Dennis

I honestly don't know when it started, thought it had been a couple years now, definitely saw them in September. Never used it as I'm a local not a cruise ship passenger.

On mobile so can't link properly but see victoriacruise.ca/page/shuttle. That said this one isn't free.

Maybe I'm wrong about the free part then. I thought that's what I'd heard but I can't find anything to back it up at the moment. Sorry.

The shuttle bus when we were in Victoria last year was $10pp US and somewhat more in Canadian.:eek: As a Canadian, we refused the shuttle, got a cab to the Empress, (about $10 for the two of us, as I recall) later got the little ferry boat to Fisherman's Wharf and then walked back to the ship from there, which is an easy walk. I don't think there has ever been a free shuttle at Ogden Point.

Ditto - depending on which cruiseline it's been US $10 or $11 pp if booked onboard; walkup pricing was in Canadian at $10pp last time I saw a sign on a shuttle door.

Since a cab only costs ~CAD$10 each way, unless you're a solo traveler it's a terrible value product - and a cab will drop you anywhere you want so if you're not heading right to the Empress.

I also find the walk is quite pleasant whether more direct though the 'burbs or the more scenic around the waterfront route. If it's raining heavily we'll grab a cab.