Tamarind Restaurant News

MaisonRose

There's no such cuisine as "Asian" food, nor is there "European" food or, for that matter, French, Indian or American food.

Tamarind is a fusion of various Asian cuisines (as interpreted by an American/European exec. chef). It shouldn't be compared to a restaurant featuring exclusively the cuisine of a single country (which, is a misnomer as I said), or region of a country.

Consider, just as an example, "American" barbecue. Get a Texan, Carolinian, Chicagoan and a Bostonian together and see if they can agree on what constitutes good BBQ!

;)

There's no such cuisine as "Asian" food, nor is there "European" food or, for that matter, French, Indian or American food.

A lot of people or most people - including chefs - will disagree with that. ;)

Tamarind is a fusion of various Asian cuisines (as interpreted by an American/European exec. chef). It shouldn't be compared to a restaurant featuring exclusively the cuisine of a single country (which, is a misnomer as I said), or region of a country.

If a restaurant serves dim sum, I expect it to be a tasty version, or interpretation, of dim sum. But if it is boring and lame, it is what it is.

And there is no one set of dishes that compromises "dim sum"; Cantonese restaurants in New York are constantly creating new dishes which are not "traditional". Dim sum is simply means "mall bite-sized portions of food traditionally served in small steamer baskets or on small plates."

Edited by Boytjie