what to do in Mazatlan?

maui07

Going on the Ruby next sunday and have a whale watch booked for Cabo, Las Chalets for PV, and thinking city tour for Mazatlan? Anything else fun to do. We went to stone island last time and kinda thought it was a dump. ha! Help?

Find a Pulmonías Taxi (go out the in terminal in gate and bargain for $20 per)

go up to the Playa Bruja beach front Cafe' (15 miles north), then start back, along the beach and marina, stop at El Cid, and places that interest you

Taxi1.jpg

Don't forget to check out the cliff divers.

We had the pulmonia driver drop us off near the Mercado. Had lunch upstairs. Walked around the church and had a resposado (snow cone) from the vendor in front of the church.

Afterwards we walked the Blue Line back to the ship. On one corner is a local artisan shop, across the way is a gelato shop.

I vote for taking a Pulmonia and doing mazatlan on your own. Research ahead what you want to see, such as cliff divers, etc., and let the driver know. We did the cruise line offered city tour last time and found it very irritating to be brought to a jewelry store where we were expected to spend an hour shopping.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to do the Pacifico Brewery on our own or after a morning ship city tour or is it too far away or only available to tour groups?

It's my impression from trying to answer your very question that Pacifico no longer offers individual tours. We were able to tour the brewery several years ago as individuals, and would love to do it again.

Your could easily walk the distance by yourselves, as it's probably only about a mile or less each way, although the city now seems to require that you "follow the blue line" in visiting the city. We were just there the last week of January, and were stopped from walking without following the line. There are many locals posted along the "official route" to make sure visitors are "safe."

Find a Pulmonías Taxi (go out the in terminal in gate and bargain for $20 per)

go up to the Playa Bruja beach front Cafe' (15 miles north), then start back, along the beach and marina, stop at El Cid, and places that interest you

Taxi1.jpg

When we were there in December we walked off the ship and found a pulmonia driver that gave the two of us a 3 1/3 hour tour including a great lunch stop, trip to the cathedral and old downtown market, drive along the waterfront with the cliff divers, amazing statues and then a couple of shopping stops we requested. Plenty of photo stops whenever we requested. He even had a cooler with beer and soft drinks of our choice. Cost was $60 for the two of us (plus well earned tip) and it was well worth it.

Dixon:cool:

When we were there in December we walked off the ship and found a pulmonia driver that gave the two of us a 3 1/3 hour tour including a great lunch stop, trip to the cathedral and old downtown market, drive along the waterfront with the cliff divers, amazing statues and then a couple of shopping stops we requested. Plenty of photo stops whenever we requested. He even had a cooler with beer and soft drinks of our choice. Cost was $60 for the two of us (plus well earned tip) and it was well worth it.

Dixon:cool:

In your opinion...do you think we could find this for a family of family of 5? And you just made a deal with driver as you walked up to him? For a certain amount of time? And did you pay in US $? I appreciate any info!!! We aren't sailing until Oct, but trying to look at things now.

In your opinion...do you think we could find this for a family of family of 5? And you just made a deal with driver as you walked up to him? For a certain amount of time? And did you pay in US $? I appreciate any info!!! We aren't sailing until Oct, but trying to look at things now.

A couple of answers.

First, most of the Pulmonias will only seat 4, but I have heard that there are a few with an extra seat that will handle more.

Our driver's normal charge for 4 for as long of a time as we had, was $100. We negotiated for just the 2 of us.

Yes, US dollars is how we paid.

Could we have gotten a better deal? Perhaps, but a better driver? I very much doubt it. He has over 15 years experience and could not possibly have been more accommodating. We gave him a nice tip.

Dixon :cool:

Our first ever cruise and the Mexican Riviera. We too are wondering if we should do a ship excursion on go by ourselves.

Reading everyones comments makes it sound so easy but there is still an element of doubt about safety.

I believe the tourist volunteers are committed to helping us tourists find our way.

I am thinking a nice massage and lunch on the beach, can we do this safely by ourselves?

Any recommendations?

Thanks