NCL Drops Turkey in 2016

XLVIII

See that NCL issued the following statement this morning:

At Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises, our primary concern is to ensure the safety and security of our guests and crew. Due to recent events in Turkey, we are suspending all calls to the country through 2016 across all NCLH brands. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and make future itinerary adjustments as appropriate. We have begun the process of informing guests booked on the affected cruises of the itinerary changes and will update the respective brand websites with revised voyage information.

See that NCL issued the following statement this morning:

At Norwegian Cruise Line, Oceania Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises, our primary concern is to ensure the safety and security of our guests and crew. Due to recent events in Turkey, we are suspending all calls to the country through 2016 across all NCLH brands. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and make future itinerary adjustments as appropriate. We have begun the process of informing guests booked on the affected cruises of the itinerary changes and will update the respective brand websites with revised voyage information.

I'm glad they've finally made it official, thanks for the heads up. There have been so many "rumors" but some pax refused to believe them.

I can understand some being upset about it though. For some, Istanbul was a huge draw but, at least now, we know for sure and surely can't blame NCLH for making the decision.

Just got our updated itinerary for our May 19th cruise. Istanbul and Kusadasi are being replaced with Dubrovnik, Croatia and Kotor, Montenegro. Here is the May 19th 2016 updated itinerary.

Thu 19-May 11:00 pm SHIP DEPARTS VENICE, ITALY

Fri 20-May AT SEA

Sat 21-May 8:00 am Sat 21-May 5:00 pm DUBROVNIK, CROATIA

Sun 22-May 8:00 am Sun 22-May 5:00 pm KOTOR, MONTENEGRO

Mon 23-May AT SEA

Tue 24-May 7:00 am Tue 24-May 5:00 pm PIRAEUS (ATHENS), GREECE

Wed 25-May 8:00 am Wed 25-May 5:00 pm MYKONOS, GREECE

Thu 26-May AT SEA

Fri 27-May 8:00 am Fri 27-May 7:00 pm NAPLES/POMPEII, ITALY

Sat 28-May 8:00 am Sat 28-May 7:00 pm CIVITAVECCHIA (ROME), ITALY

Sun 29-May 8:00 am Sun 29-May 7:00 pm LIVORNO (FLORENCE/PISA), ITALY

Mon 30-May 9:00 am Mon 30-May 5:00 pm TOULON, FRANCE

Tue 31-May 5:00 am SHIP ARRIVES AT BARCELONA, SPAIN

Edited by Bocadude85

I cannot speak to the Montenegro port, but Dubrovnik is an awesome port. The water there is as beautiful as it comes, and the city is just very historic and neat.

Can't say that it replaces the history that is Istanbul and Ephesus, but certainly worth going to.

Just got our updated itinerary for our May 19th cruise. Istanbul and Kusadasi are being replaced with Dubrovnik, Croatia and Kotor, Montenegro. Here is the May 19th 2016 updated itinerary.

Hi Bocadude - which port is replacing Kusadasi? We're booked on a Jade 14 nighter and are already visiting Dubrovnik the first week, so hoping they're replacing ours with Kotor. Did they send you an e-mail?

Happy Cruising!

Edited by Tricialy

I cannot speak to the Montenegro port, but Dubrovnik is an awesome port. The water there is as beautiful as it comes, and the city is just very historic and neat.

Can't say that it replaces the history that is Istanbul and Ephesus, but certainly worth going to.

kotor is a great port , with amazing saill away in the fjord of montenegro :)

Hi Bocadude - which port is replacing Kusadasi? We're booked on a Jade 14 nighter and are already visiting Dubrovnik the first week, so hoping they're replacing ours with Kotor. Did they send you an e-mail?

Happy Cruising!

I'm not sure which port replaces which to be honest. I received an email with the updated itinerary after calling NCL and requesting the new itinerary.

Edited by Bocadude85

Disney Magic canceled Kusadasi a month or so ago for the 2016 season. They didn't say specifically why but they did give anyone booked the chance to cancel or over $1000 obc if they chose to keep the sailing. Pretty good bonus! Granted 1k is an awful lot extra obc for most who already had substantial obc from ta but it sure was a nice good will gesture.

Certainly not expecting a good will gesture like Disney's but am hoping for good alternative port and not an extra sea day.

Lets see.. NCL first cancels the Epic med sailings in Europe and a few Jade sailings in Med. Now the Jade is back on and the Spirit has changed embarkation and debarkation ports, Jade and Spirit have changed itineraries, Jade dry dock is now canceled for a later date in 2017. I know much of this is out of NCL's hands. Their original good will gesture for the mass cancelation? it was $50/$100 obc and in most cases loss of current perks and price.

Booking cruises has become quite a lesson in flexibility. Purchasing good, independent, cruise insurance has become almost a necessity for these med sailings on NCL.

I am thankful that they haven't decided to move the Jade dry dock up and cancel another one of my cruises booked with them. One could feasibly be canceled three times already since August with all the changes. I was worried that a Jade move up in dry dock could make it four.

Waiting on a refreshed Jade is ok in my book vs. having another cruise canceled. I'm just crossing my fingers that they will try to keep the sail dates in tact from here forward and replace Turkey with some good alternatives.

We have airfare purchased used miles for first class. Those tickets are not going to be available should I need to change dates. Part of the allure of our 2016 med trip was to do it right by planning ahead.

It might be a good idea to put down a couple of deposits on a couple of lines with dates within range. We have deposits down on Celebrity and HAL just in case and are hoping one of the three comes through with an end itinerary that will work with our dates. HAL and Celebrity med cruises have come way down recently for our dates. Celebrity is offering a $25 booking fee which makes alternative booking options painless. Jade still has the best itinerary for us but is considerably higher priced than HAL and Celebrity.

I'm glad NCL is taking the initiative to try and get their schedules reworked now vs. last minute. I know NCL has no ability to predict or keep world peace. It's nice that they are anticipating and reworking now vs. waiting till last minute like Celebrity did last year.

I would highly recommend being on deck early in the AM when your ship begins the entrance to Kotor, Montenegro! It is one of the most beautiful fjords I have ever seen. It takes almost 2 hours from the entrance to the fjord, guarded by a fort on the portside, and several more fortifications on the starboard side. I happened to be awake in a forward facing suite, and the pictures I took were incredible. Absolutely breathtaking. ;)

@bocadude-we are on the May 7 sailing and haven't gotten official word yet. Where did you get your revised itinerary? I've emailed my TA to see if she's heard anything since the article says booked passengers will be notified today. I need to change some tours!

@bocadude-we are on the May 7 sailing and haven't gotten official word yet. Where did you get your revised itinerary? I've emailed my TA to see if she's heard anything since the article says booked passengers will be notified today. I need to change some tours!

I just called NCL and requested the new itinerary. It was in my email inbox within 5 minutes.